Author Topic: Clay Pipes: Reed Stem or Clay Stem  (Read 6652 times)

BlackleafHats

Clay Pipes: Reed Stem or Clay Stem
« on: June 06, 2010, 06:01:46 PM »
Greetings All
Does anyone know of any craftspeople making Tavern pipes. Reed stem would be preferable. I'd like to include and incorporate them into some of my hat offerings. I know I can get them from Jas Townsend, but I thought if there was an individual making them I would rather deal directly with the maker.

Cheers
Morgan Shea
BlackLeaf Leather and Hats

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
Re: Clay Pipes: Reed Stem or Clay Stem
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 06:06:42 PM »
Morgan
I am no help as to makers. Out here in the wilderness we usually buy from your side of the continent. I have put a wooden stem in a broken pipe to salvage it. Not that hard.
Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 07:27:22 PM »
Check this out. There may be an opportunity. I Wonder who their new supplier will be??
http://vegassmokes.com/pipes/england/ClayPipes/Gallery/clay_pipes.htm
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 07:40:32 PM »
Old Salem makes and sells the Turks head clay pipe, but you must provide your own stem

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 08:37:12 PM »
Just Google "clay pipes" and you'll come up with a bunch.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

The other DWS

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 09:09:41 PM »
as a former reenactor, historian, and a pipe smoke who has done a bit of history study of pipes.  I have som doubts about a lot of the pipes I've seen in "living history" contexts.   long stemmed clay pipes are very fragile,  I've owned any number and broke all of them.  Besides they are pretty lousy smokes usually too small and way too hot. For a sedentary usage in a "civilized" home/ tavern/urban environment where they would be cheap and easily replaceable they made sense. on a more rough and tumble setting ceramic or carved stone bowls and wooden or cane stems were a lot more practical.  the wooden or can stems also give a much more pleasing "smoke".
  While in Montreal for one of the Fur Trade Conferences I did pick up a couple short stemmed (6 inches or so) clay pipes from one of the vendors that were supposed to be authentic, (but not sure now to which site or era) that were quite sturdy and actually smoked fairly well,  I think I still have one of them in my pipe collection.

Colonial archaeology and material studies programs make extensive use of analysis of the type and density of clay pipe fragments found at the various north american sites in much the same way ceramic pottery shards are studied in mid-eastern contexts.  the published "dig-reports' from key north american sites can provide a great background for what shape/style/size of pipes were in use at various times by different ethnic and cultural groups.  If memory serves me correctly the Mackinac Island Park Commission published a large volume just on the Pipes of Michillimackinac

Jefferson58

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 01:22:45 AM »
Check with James Rogers, who posts here regularly. He had a nice selection of clay stem pipes at the Williamsburg, VA show this year. I am sure he can point you in the right direction.

Jeff

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 04:13:34 AM »
You just have to pierce your ear and carry your pipe hanging from the earlobe!!  Interestingly, I was looking at some antique guns from Europe the other day and saw an early 18th Century one  made of briar.  I will bet you that some enterprising fellow made a pipe bowl out of that material along the way.......
Here is a possible source/maker
http://www.dawnmist.demon.co.uk/pipdex.htm

interesting info
http://www.claypipes.com/FortUnion.htm
http://www.claypipes.com/77-27.jpg
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming