Author Topic: advantages of a lobed horn  (Read 7153 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
advantages of a lobed horn
« on: June 07, 2010, 07:48:58 PM »
I picked up another big rough horn from Lee Larkin at the Fort de Chartres rondy this weekend, got the bark off and cut it to length and drilled it.  All good so far on this amber colored horn.

As I was starting to shape it and deciding whether to use a lobed end it occurred to me that by placing the lobe where you want on the butt end, you can direct how the horn lies against the body better than with a staple in the middle of the butt plug.  Agree/disagree?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: advantages of a lobed horn
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 08:46:23 PM »
 I would say you could roll a horn in or out depending on the placement of the lobe. Say 12 o'clock is straight up, moving the lobe to 9 would pull it in on a right side carry and to 3 in on a left side carry. The shape of the horn will have something to do with it. Don't know why anyone would want a lobe at 3 on a right side horn or vice versa.
 Does a lobe indicate a certain time frame/style of horn? That may also be a consideration.   

Tim C. 

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 09:04:58 PM »
Rich,

I really don't think it makes much difference.  If you locate the staple so the horn balances in the desired position it should work as good as a lobe.  Remember, you don't have to put the staple in the middle of the butt plug. A staple can be positioned in the upper part of the butt plug or through the horn and into the butt plug from the top.  Just like installing pins or tacks to hold the butt plug in the horn.  If your butt plug is deep enough into the horn, you can also opt for drilling two holes through the butt part of the horn and through the butt plug on about a 45 degree angle.  Of course this last option depends on the style of the butt plug you are using.  Lobes are generally only used on French & Indian and Rev War period Horns and those commemorative horns made after the war periods. 

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 09:16:49 PM »

Lobes are generally only used on French & Indian and Rev War period Horns and those commemorative horns made after the war periods. 

Randy Hedden

Thanks Randy, that's what I thought but was not sure.

Tim C.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 09:26:21 PM »
Randy, thanks- seems I had a notion that it was only proper when using a staple, to place it in the middle of the buttplug.  For sure the other methods like drilling 2 holes through the horn/plug junction at a 45 degree angle would achieve the same "leverage" to roll the horn to conform to the body well.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 01:05:40 AM »
Are you putting the staples all the way thru the butt and folding over?   The first horn I made, way back in 8th Grade had a lobe, but like so many of the originals it ended up breaking off and I replaced it with a staple.  I put the staple in the already complete and sealed  horn at the same angle as the lobe. 

With a staple I always use a double prusick or a clove hitch to attach a thong to the staple, the wrap that around the strap a couple times and square knot it.  This allows me to lengthen the strap during the winter.....

So unless your installing the staple before you put the plug in the horn, you can change the angle the horn sits the same as if you were deciding where to put the lobe

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 01:55:50 AM »
No, I put the staple in later and do not fold it over.  I put some barbs on the staple "legs" and that seems to anchor them.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 02:52:56 AM »
BTW, if anyone is wondering where i get the "Thongs around the staple and tip" and tieing the strap to the horn that way, it came from a horn in the Dressler collection, the strap was made from a number10-15 thongs that were quill wrapped, and twined together every so often.  That is the only native horn Ive looked at with a strap.  Id love to be able to, at some point look at the other 3-4 surviving horns that the strap is beleivable to have been attached to the horn in the period.  The Caldwell buffalo horn, and the horn that I cant remember, Scottish with a tump strap (Archibald Montgomerie perhaps?) the straps dont "Work" and IMHO the straps and horns were wedded together by some museum curator or family member way after the date of their use here in North America.....

Ole Doc

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 12:57:39 AM »
keep in mind the horn filled with powder and the balance point changing ...
full too empty , may change the pitch or throw of the horn some.

Offline Artificer

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 11:07:16 PM »
keep in mind the horn filled with powder and the balance point changing ...
full too empty , may change the pitch or throw of the horn some.

That is a great point I've never really thought about before. 

Gus

BrownBear

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 12:23:04 AM »
In our climate I've learned what I think is an important lessons about horns.  Slick doesn't cut it when your hands are wet or you're wearing glove.  Talk about a hassle and a mess.  Whether lobed, engrailed or engraved with a deep pattern for better grip and control, all my horns henceforth will be designed for function.  I'm still working on the "purty" part of the equation, but functional tops my list.  If it's going to be used, it's got to do it's job before we ever get around to purty.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 12:23:29 AM by BrownBear »

Ole Doc

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 02:06:48 AM »
find regardless of what peice of gear we attempt to re-create.
Function superceeds any artistic quality ...
if something can be made pretty that works fine ... but it has to work.

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 05:37:26 AM »
In our climate I've learned what I think is an important lessons about horns.  Slick doesn't cut it when your hands are wet or you're wearing glove.  Talk about a hassle and a mess.  Whether lobed, engrailed or engraved with a deep pattern for better grip and control, all my horns henceforth will be designed for function.  I'm still working on the "purty" part of the equation, but functional tops my list.  If it's going to be used, it's got to do it's job before we ever get around to purty.

I agree to a point.  But if we in our modern times, are having issues making something work using the copies of the originals, we are probably the ones that are messed up, not the object :D

BrownBear

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 05:44:33 AM »
I'll see your point and raise it 120 inches of rain a year.  Probably a good reason our forebears stayed away till 1864.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 06:00:29 PM »
Luke
Very good point!
Steve
Steve Skillman