Author Topic: percussion lock problem  (Read 3521 times)

cub2185

percussion lock problem
« on: June 08, 2010, 07:26:38 PM »
I have a percussion lock( RH) that doesn't stay at the half cock position, in or out of the stock. It might once in a while but not every time. The lock is marked " Dean Mitton" on the inside. No other markings.

I bought this long rifle so I do not know too much about its componets. I built a custom flintlock years back so from memory only, I thought possibly that the " bridle" might be bad.

Any ideas are appreciated.

RH

Offline Joe Stein

Re: percussion lock problem
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
   Did you check the nose of the sear?  I have seen some that the nose broke off of and they were cleanly broken so that they would catch the full cock notch, but were too thick to engage the half cock notch.
   Also, check that all the screws are tight, but not too tight.  If the bridle or sear has too much play the sear might not engage properly, although that usually affects the full cock notch before it's noticed in the half cock notch. If the screws are too tight anything in the lock that is supposed to move might bind.
   Go to the Tutorials section and read Jim Chambers post on Lock Tuning.

cub2185

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 08:15:16 PM »
Thanks for the information. I'll check the areas you mentioned and also check out the lock tuning tutorial. Thanks again.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 02:11:30 AM »
Thanks for the information. I'll check the areas you mentioned and also check out the lock tuning tutorial. Thanks again.
Joe points to the probable cause.  Seems as if those half draw notches get snapped out or the sear nose snapped off and some folks don't even know it.  (Since they never or seldom pull the lock)   ::)

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 07:27:29 AM »
Is the tumblers' half cock position broke off?  I had one break one time and it would not hold a half cock position.  I had to hunt "old fasion" style that year.  Only putting a cap on the niple when I wanted to shoot.
                                                                  Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 05:41:33 PM »
I have a percussion lock( RH) that doesn't stay at the half cock position, in or out of the stock. It might once in a while but not every time. The lock is marked " Dean Mitton" on the inside. No other markings.

I bought this long rifle so I do not know too much about its componets. I built a custom flintlock years back so from memory only, I thought possibly that the " bridle" might be bad.

Any ideas are appreciated.

RH
If it has set triggers someone has probably fired the trigger with the lock in 1/2 cock and broke the notch.
Photos would be easier in diagnosing the problem.
Usually the 1/2 cock notch or the sear nose is broken when this problem occurs.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine