Author Topic: Early banded Horn With Provenance/Link W/More Info On Henry Added  (Read 9290 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
  First off, this is not my horn but I was given permission by the owner to post the pics.
 It is the horn I refered to in an earlier post. It is dated 1774 and was carried by Henry Funk of Shenandoah Co Virginia while serving with with George Rogers Clark on the Western campaign in Indiana. Note the two part tip and the plain band that is probably there for protection. The location of the staple in the base and the grouping/spacing of the pins holding the base in. Also the fact that the band appears to be pressed on, no pins.
 Thank you for letting these pics be posted.

Tim C.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 06:42:10 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Early banded Horn With Provenance
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 04:41:03 PM »
 Here's a couple more.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 04:53:18 PM »
Can you imagine the stories that horn could tell.  Do you think he carried it on the western campaign or later in life, in memory of that time??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 05:02:01 PM »
Can you imagine the stories that horn could tell.  Do you think he carried it on the western campaign or later in life, in memory of that time??

He carried it while serving with Clark. I have edited the original post.

Tim C.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 05:13:41 PM »
Fantastic piece of history - thanks Tim.

My thoughts are that the date is not a later commerative date, but rather reflects the period of actual use.  Clark's campaigns in Indiana and Illinois were 1778 and 79, if I recall correctly.  In 1774 he was surveying lands in the Ohio Valley, and was part of Michael Cresap's group involved in the incidents that led up to Logan's/ Dunmore's War.  (But not the Yellow Creek massacre - if what I have read is correct, Clark and Cresap gave some thought to attacking the camp at the mouth of Yellow Creek, but turned back as they both were familiar with Logan.  However, Cresap unfortunately still got blamed for it).  

Clark also led campaigns against the Shawnee towns in the Great and Little Miami valleys in 1780 and 82, tried to organize an exepedition against Detroit in 1781, and also organized a campaign against some of the towns on the upper Wabash in 1786 in conjunction with a multi-pronged offensive that was planned against the northwest tribes.  

So the 1774 date would likely not be commerative of this man's service with Clark - rather, I believe it would indicate that he had the horn already and probably did use it with Clark in 1778, '79 or '86.

Guy
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:25:55 PM by Guy Montfort »

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 05:30:45 PM »
Tim great find and horn.  Guy thanks for the additional info and thanks to both for sharing with us. 
gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 06:34:29 PM »
Tim,

What a great old horn!  Thanks for sharing the pictures.  Have you seen the horn in person or just the pictures?  I'm curious about the 2 part tip.  Is either part threaded?  How are they attached?  In the second picture, is that a hole or just an indention in the outer tip?  Thanks again for posting.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 06:44:37 PM »
This one fits the description of being a 'one horn collection'. With its history, condition, rarity and age, they just don't get any better. Thank you, Tim for showing it around. It's a joy to see.
Dick

J.D.

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 08:20:53 PM »
What a great piece of history. If only it could talk? Thank you and the owner for sharing.

God bless

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 09:02:52 PM »
Tim,

What a great old horn!  Thanks for sharing the pictures.  Have you seen the horn in person or just the pictures?  I'm curious about the 2 part tip.  Is either part threaded?  How are they attached?  In the second picture, is that a hole or just an indention in the outer tip?  Thanks again for posting.

-Ron

So far all I have seen are pics but I plan on changing that, just need to work out the details.
Neither part is threaded, if you look at the second pic in the second set of pics above you will see two pins. I enlarged this one and you can make out the pin holding the coller portion of the tip to the horn body. I would think there is at least one other on the opposite side but will not know for sure until I see it.

Tim

« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 09:03:52 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 01:46:51 AM »
Very Interesting horn, without giving out a 10 digit grid coordinate for the location, is its current home anywhere near where Henry is buried?

I would like to take a look at it......

Luke

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 03:22:52 AM »
Tim, I like that two part tip.  Are they horn or wood? 
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 10:49:56 PM »
Tim,

Thanks for posting this.

Mark E.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 03:24:36 PM »
Fantastic!  What a piece of history.  As has been said ..... if only it could talk!

Thanks so much for posting those pictures.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 04:05:42 PM »
If you have read the accounts of Clark & his men going from Cahokia to Vincennes in March wading through miles and miles of chest high water and even ice, it is amazing that they all made it and that any of their equipment was still serviceable..Amazing leadership and amazing discipline on the part of each man!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 05:12:29 PM »
A lot of Virginia and Kentucky frontiersman that are well known in their own right went along with Clark on some of his campaigns - some are associated with early gunmaking in the trans-Appalachian frontier.  Squire Boone served as an armorer for Clark, as did Michael Humble.  Others too.

The Clarks are a fascinating family and I enjoy seeing anything associated with George Rogers Clark.  Thanks again for sharing this Tim and please thank the owner on our behalf.

Guy 

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 07:04:08 PM »
I think Clark was the one real heroic and effective field leader of the times.....poorly treated by his country too.  
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 07:04:42 PM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 10:20:02 PM »
Great part of history .. informative thread as well. Thanks for sharing .. Bill Hey

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 05:17:31 PM »
Very Interesting horn, without giving out a 10 digit grid coordinate for the location, is its current home anywhere near where Henry is buried?

I would like to take a look at it......

Luke

Henry's resting place along the Ohio river was washed away during a flood. Here is a link to some more info on Henry.

Tim C.

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~devore/devore/Funk2.html

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 01:08:00 AM »
Henry's resting place along the Ohio river was washed away during a flood. Here is a link to some more info on Henry.

Tim C.

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~devore/devore/Funk2.html

[/quote]

Here is a bit more.  Not exactly washed away, just has a newer stone on the same ground

http://genealogytrails.com/ind/harrison/funkburyinggrounds.html