Author Topic: lube  (Read 6176 times)

jim m

lube
« on: July 29, 2008, 09:56:14 PM »
was told about a lube that a lot of target shooters at the arkansas state shoot  use. 1 part murghys oil soap, 1 part alchohol, 3 parts water. I'm sure some of you have heard about it before but thought I would pass it along

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: lube
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 10:36:14 PM »
was told about a lube that a lot of target shooters at the arkansas state shoot  use. 1 part murghys oil soap, 1 part alchohol, 3 parts water. I'm sure some of you have heard about it before but thought I would pass it along
Beware the Murphy's Oil Soap ::)  Works fine for a short while then Oooops fliers from toooo slick a bore!

Offline mdtnhunter

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 07:15:22 PM »
Sheep tallow/beeswax works well.

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 09:33:44 PM »
Beware the Murphy's Oil Soap ::)  Works fine for a short while then Oooops fliers from toooo slick a bore!

IMHO, Murphys causes a hard fouling that is hard to remove. I gave up on Murphys once someone, probably Daryl, mentioned the hard brown fouling that was so hard to remove. My guns come cleaner with less effort now that I changed lubes.

Harnic

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 11:23:22 PM »
I tried a Murphys based lube a couple winters ago & had trouble cleaning after shooting.  I switched to Hoppes #9+ & am very unlikely to switch away from it.  I'm getting fantastic performance with no need to wipe between shots even in our very dry environment in the heat of summer.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 03:48:57 AM »
MOS lubes load slick and shoot great - BUT - cleanup of the brown gunk was a Royal Pain in the A$$..................................Never again!!!...........................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline LynnC

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 03:58:11 AM »
BTW - I'll give you a hint on the MOS cleanup - Carburator cleaner and LOTS of scrubbing..........................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 04:14:41 AM »
On the toher hnd, I never had a problem with murphy's. It just didn't shoot as accurately as spit or LHV.

William Worth

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 05:50:28 PM »
At what concentration were the people that had problems with MOS/brown gunk shooting?  I would think that a weak solution would be much less prone to cause the deposit problems.

Harnic

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 06:39:22 PM »
I don't remember the ratio in the mixes I tried William, but it was probably near 30% MOS.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 04:45:32 AM by Harnic »

William Worth

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 07:40:13 PM »
I have used about three ounces of water and a few... drops of MOS with good results.  Same with dish detergent.  Probably any surfactant would do the same.  No corrosion protection of course.