Author Topic: Southern Mtn horn and heart bag  (Read 7916 times)

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Southern Mtn horn and heart bag
« on: June 11, 2010, 05:37:06 PM »
With inspiration from Jim Webb's book, "Sketches of Hunting Pouches, Powder Horns and Accouterments of Southern Appalachia", I fashioned this horn and heart shaped bag.  The horn is approx 10 3/4 long, has a nice double curve and yes, that's a thimble on the tip.  Typically of the area is a shaped piece of leather for a stopper.  Base is approx 2 1/4 inches and is pine with a blue fired screw for the strap attachment.  
The heart shaped bag has a full gussett of about 7/8 in. and is made from lightweight calfskin and was flatsewn together like the original.  I did line the flap with another piece of calfskin to give it some body and weight.  I also put a welt between the gusset and the bag to add some strength because of the lighter weight calfskin.  Other than that it's just a basic single pocket pouch about 7 1/2 wide and high.  
Did I miss anything?  Please feel free to critique.  
Gary

[
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:03:23 PM by G. Elsenbeck »
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline art riser

Re: Southern Mtn horn and heart bag
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 05:40:38 PM »
very nice indeed...

seesbirds

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 05:51:55 PM »
Wow! Gary, that's nice work!

Mark

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 10:12:49 PM »
Gary.....That is a beautiful job on that pouch, I love it. Looks like it came right out of these here hills of south western Virginia, leather stopper, thimble and all.   Frank

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 10:27:12 PM »
Nice work Gary! I've been looking for a copy of Jim Webbs book, but can't find one. Any hints as to where one can be purchased? Thanks .. Bill Hey

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 10:32:35 PM »
Gary......my favorite bag & horn so far!!!  Are you going to sell it or did you make it for someone??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

olddiamond

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 10:35:25 PM »
Webb's book can be found at Dixie.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 12:22:47 AM »
Jim's book can also be had at The Log Cabin and ,yes DrTim,  it will be posted in a few days.
And thanks fellas for the kind comments.

Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 01:42:27 AM »
Gary,

I have made a few of these bags and I like the ones best that are a bit wrinkled and distressed.    However,  I am not nearly as good as Jeff Bibb at doing that.  The thimble is an interesting touch.   Do you imagine a purpose other than decorative?

Mark E.

P.S.  With regard to Jim Webbs books,  I bought mine directly from Jim.   His address is as follows:

333 Webb Dr.
Hillsville VA 24343
United States of America

I don't remember the cost, but maybe someone else can help out with that.   

« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 01:45:20 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 01:57:05 AM »
Thanks for the info, Mark. I'll order one straight away. Take care .. Bill

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 01:57:21 AM »
Mark, if you go to page 65 of Jim's book you will see a horn with the thimble on the tip.  I pretty much thought it was either purposefully done originally to help a cracked tip or use it to begin with to prevent a crack later on.  I always thought it looked pretty neat and decided to try one.

As for the wrinkly look it is pretty easy to do.  Before I start assembling I take each piece and wring them real good (in the dry) in a couple of different directions to get the right effect.  Plus, the veg tanned leather is now also nice and supple.  Not like commercial, but all the stiffness is gone.  I would recommend using 3 - 4 oz veg tan or lighter leather though.

Gary

Ole Doc

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 06:11:13 AM »
Very nice indeed, has a very nice look to it.
can see you put alot of HEART into your work.

Ole Doc

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 06:12:52 AM »
gonna copy that powder measure too ...

Jefferson58

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 02:16:24 PM »
Really nice set Gary! The pouch looks great. I made one like that, and decided to outside cross-stitch the whole thing to make the edges neater. I'll never do that again. Many, many hours...

Love the horn with the thimble. It looks right at home with that pouch. Nice coloring on it too.

Great job!

Jeff

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 04:44:54 PM »
Gary, Have you tried priming with the horn? My concern (don't ask me why I am aware of this!!!) is that it might be too big to allow the spout good access to the pan on a small Siler lock???  Not criticism, just a high-five to the forehead insight I  have had to endure......
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 05:50:31 PM »
Beautiful set!
While I too love the thimble on the tip, I think it would make the tip a bit large. However, I know there are all different size of thimbles, there are ways to reduce the size of the thimble, and maybe it's for a cap gun. No matter, I really like it.
Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 07:05:27 PM »
 I said elsewhere Gary, top drawer!

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 09:20:59 PM »
Dr.Tim and Steve, good points about size of the spout.  In this example, as I was just speculating, the horn started out as one that had a 'hollow' tip so I was limited to just how 'thin' I could make the area just below the thimble before I could determine what size the tip was going to be.  Have to pre-plan your construction method you know.
Here's the thought process as I went along.  I got the neck down to just a hair under 9/16 in diameter.  Remember, this was a hollow tipped horn.  Should I go further.  Experience tells me based on the sound of filing that I was getting too close to 'emptiness'.   With that established I was going to use some some leather strapping to attach the horn to the bag, but, and this is a but.......you have to leave enough room from diameter of the neck to the bottom of the tip, or rather thimble, so that when your cording is tied it won't slip off the horn.  Could be embarrassing.  
Anyway, knowing that thimbles are usually 'sized' based on ring size charts I decided to use a No. 12 thimble.  Arghhhhh, none in my inventory.  So I used a No. 11, which has an inside diameter of approximately 3/4 and still gives me 'enough room' that results in this present setup.  
To both of you I could have used a much smaller thimble in order to make the horn more useful as a primer too.  In this case I could do I've done on others and that is to cover the tip partially with a finger and shake a few grains in the pan and continue shooting.  Or, I use my flat primer horn as show below.   Either way good points raised and good discussion.  Thanks.
Gary

« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:23:42 PM by G. Elsenbeck »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 02:59:17 AM »
     Nice work as Always Gary.
 Not to take anything away but horns and bags were used for many years after the flintlock went out of vogue. So what started as a multipurpose horn may have lived into another era and been repaired as needed.

Tim C.