Author Topic: loading block for hunting with bigbore smoothie  (Read 5241 times)

Offline sonny

loading block for hunting with bigbore smoothie
« on: June 11, 2010, 06:43:17 PM »
hello......when hunting with a big bore smoothie.In the 18th cent. did they use a loading block for a big 65/69/75 cal gun?or did they keep balls loose an load from inside the pouch.I would think that the loading block would be thick an huge if it hung around the neck.....wondering.....sonny

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: loading block for hunting with bigbore smoothie
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 07:00:20 PM »
A loading block with 2 or 3 rounds in it wouldn't be that big.  That's really all that would be necessary at that point anyway.  Just how many shots are you going to get??  One for the kill and a follow up??

Even for a .75 ball, (10ga), chances of taking more than 3 shots is doubtful.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 07:45:40 PM »
Most people think it unlikely that they used loading blocks for any caliber. There isn't a reference to them in any of the writings at the time, they aren't pictured, and no surviving block can be definitely dated to the 18th century.

In any case, it is most likely that someone using a smoothbore would have used wads, not patches, thereby eliminating the need for a loading block in the first place. The exceptions might be smoothrifles, which could have been loaded with patches.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 07:54:26 PM »
Most people think it unlikely that they used loading blocks for any caliber. There isn't a reference to them in any of the writings at the time, they aren't pictured, and no surviving block can be definitely dated to the 18th century.

In any case, it is most likely that someone using a smoothbore would have used wads, not patches, thereby eliminating the need for a loading block in the first place. The exceptions might be smoothrifles, which could have been loaded with patches.

ditto  ;)

BrownBear

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 09:50:23 PM »
.....wondering.....

In the spirit of wondering and practicality, rather than PC or HC, I can contribute these insights:

I use loading blocks extensively for hunts, adjusting the size for the anticipated # of shots on a good hunt.  That means my 50, 54 and 58 cal blocks for big game hunting hold only 2 or 3 balls.  My 32 and 36 cal small game blocks hold 6 each, and I generally go into the field with three of them.  Just lots more shooting for small game, and the more shooting the "better" the hunt.  Not to mention that my cold hands get real fumbley with small balls and patches.

Knowing all that, I've never bothered to make one for my 75 cal.  Patched balls seat below the muzzle with thumb pressure, so I just keep a few balls and lubed patches handy in a small pocket of my bag.  Even if I was using a tighter combo and felt the need for a loading block, one large enough for two balls would be only 3/4" thick, 2-2.5" long, and maybe 1.5" wide.  No big bulk and not heavy.

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 11:04:36 PM »

ditto  ;)

Tercero

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 06:31:42 AM »
Not to be contentious, but just asking: I have seen, I believe in Muzzle Blasts, a picture of a loading block with the date "1757" boldly engraved on it. The writer presented it as genuine. Spurious?

The fact that there are few or none wouldn't surprise me - one split and it's kindling. In the 18th century the British army had thousands upon thousands of cartridge boxes made, but try to find an original today. There are a handful scattered in museums.

Continuing in my Devil's advocacy, the only old illustrations I've seen of civilian shooters show them either in repose, walking, or shooting - never loading. Illustrations of soldiers from manuals show loading, but they used paper cartridges.

The lack of mention is somewhat damning, though.

But more on the subject - friends of mine with large caliber smoothies have loading blocks of 3-5 balls and use them without a short starter. They round all the edges and make a barrel sized recess around each hole to align the block nicely on the muzzle. Especially convenient in cold weather when the fingers are not as nimble.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 08:42:41 AM »
Not to be contentious, but just asking: I have seen, I believe in Muzzle Blasts, a picture of a loading block with the date "1757" boldly engraved on it. The writer presented it as genuine. Spurious?

The fact that there are few or none wouldn't surprise me - one split and it's kindling. In the 18th century the British army had thousands upon thousands of cartridge boxes made, but try to find an original today. There are a handful scattered in museums.

Continuing in my Devil's advocacy, the only old illustrations I've seen of civilian shooters show them either in repose, walking, or shooting - never loading. Illustrations of soldiers from manuals show loading, but they used paper cartridges.

The lack of mention is somewhat damning, though.

But more on the subject - friends of mine with large caliber smoothies have loading blocks of 3-5 balls and use them without a short starter. They round all the edges and make a barrel sized recess around each hole to align the block nicely on the muzzle. Especially convenient in cold weather when the fingers are not as nimble.

Its probably as believable as many of the powder horns dated to the Rev-War and before that folks love to look at or copy. Rev-war items became valuable in 1876 and stuff was faked then. The faking of powder horns has been a business, with documentation, since before WW-II. Museums were buying fakes, or at least knew where to order them in some cases, for display in the 1930s I have read.
Everything from tea kettles to rifles have been faked over the years so there is a very good probability that some stuff that folks believe is HC and is used as "proof" was made in the 1870s or the 1960s or the 1990s by someone trying to make a little grocery or tuition money.
Its coin flip as to whether the 1757 dare is right or wrong. Or if the thing was made in 1770 and then spuriously dated to 1757 by someone trying to make something fit his own expectations.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

J.D.

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 08:29:24 PM »

Its coin flip as to whether the 1757 dare is right or wrong. Or if the thing was made in 1770 and then spuriously dated to 1757 by someone trying to make something fit his own expectations.

Or marked with the date 1757 by someone in  1970 trying to make something fit his own expectations.

I prefer to use paper cartridges for follow up shots, when hunting with a smoothbore and rifle. That said, I have never needed a follow up shot when hunting with the bess.

God bless