Author Topic: Snaphaunce finished  (Read 7309 times)

Bioprof

Snaphaunce finished
« on: September 11, 2008, 06:32:04 AM »
I'm just putting the oil finish on my scratch-built snaphaunce project.   This was my first rifle that I inletted the barrel and drilled the ramrod channel by myself.   It has a .62 caliber rifled barrel from Rayl, lock was built by myself from parts from The Rifle Shoppe, and Butt plate was shaped from "the Blob" from Reaves Goehring.   I decided to go with the fowler style butt plate to cover up a flaw line in the wood right at the top of the butt.   I forged the trigger and triggerguard myself and also made the barrel lugs and front sight.

Constructive criticism is welcome, but please be kind; this is only my second scratch-built gonne and I didn't have very many pictures to go by.  Originals are scarcer than hens teeth.

(Please ignore the middle lock plate screw.   I was short one lock plate screw and will have to order another one.)

nthe10ring

Re: Snaphaunce finished
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 07:00:07 AM »
She's a real beauty, you did good.

Jerry Fisher

Offline sydney

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 07:03:40 AM »
Very nice work-thanks for the pictures
        Sydney

Offline TPH

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 03:21:52 PM »
Very nicely done! How is the lock?
T.P. Hern

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 03:52:51 PM »
Looks great- quite an undertaking, building that lock.  Fabulous wood there- where did you get it?  Would like to see closeups of lock, guard, tang area, etc.  Great job on the guard forging.
Andover, Vermont

lew wetzel

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 04:08:41 PM »
really,like the lock ,could we get some cose ups of the lock...

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 06:20:17 PM »
Now THAT is pretty cool!  What a great chunk of walnut as well. Beautiful job.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 10:14:15 PM »
 Nice job, it is really neat looking.

Tim C.

Bioprof

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 11:48:53 PM »
The lock is fairly slow compared to a flintlock because the foot of the serpentine has to push the spring-loaded sear nose out of the way to fall forward.   As the foot of sear rides over the sear nose, it is slowed down.   I haven't had a chance to test fire it, but I get good sparks as long as the flint is sharp.   I had to bend the serpentine forward to get a better angle with the flint on the battery so that the sparks were directed into the pan, rather than hitting the retracted pan cover (the picture below was taken before I bend the serpentine or cock).

Before firing, the battery (frizzen) is moved down so that it is sitting right above the edge of the pan.  When the flint hits the battery, it kicks the battery forward and out of the way of the pan.   It also has a pan cover that retracts automatically when the serpentine falls forward.   It is connected directly to the serpentine by a lever.

This is a picture of the primary and secondary sear.   It works just like a wheellock sear:

I got the blank from Goby Walnut.   I visited their business this summer and they have a nice selection of walnut.   I bought a rather plain 61" black walnut blank when I was there for $80 and a shorter English walnut blank for $50.    The blank that I used with this gonne was a challenge because there was a large knot right in the middle of the forestock.    I was able to successfully work around it though.   I think I also ended up with good grain direction through the wrist as well.

This build did teach me one important lesson.   I should always make up a try stock before cutting out the profile of the rifle.   I think I would have been happier with this one if I had lowered the top of the comb a little more.   
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 11:54:36 PM by Bioprof »

Bioprof

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 11:57:52 PM »
I think I was lucky in that it only took me about two weeks to get the lock parts from The Rifle Shoppe.    They told me when I ordered it that they had all the parts in stock.   ;D

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 04:17:36 AM »
This is a very nice and elegant piece.  I do not know much at all about guns from this period, and would not have expected the fine architecture, figuring more of a bulkier style. 
Nice work.
Larry Luck

Offline TPH

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 03:10:15 PM »
I think I was lucky in that it only took me about two weeks to get the lock parts from The Rifle Shoppe.    They told me when I ordered it that they had all the parts in stock.   ;D

That is about right for shipping from TRS when they have the parts in stock. I really like the "gonne". thanks for posting the detail pictures of the lock, it is beautiful. You have a lot to be proud of.
T.P. Hern