Author Topic: Patch lube update  (Read 4644 times)

frontier gander

Patch lube update
« on: June 12, 2010, 06:42:18 AM »
I bought some .015 patches the other day as i wanted to try out the thinner patch in the CVA Hawken. This rifle has been a real pain in the butt on these thinner patches. I would lube them with bore butter, crisco, elk tallow and nothing would work. Shredded patches up the rear end and ok accuracy.
Im not sure if i posted the original experiment on here but, using the Birchwood Casey Barricade rust protector spray on some .018 pillow tick in this Hawken, the pillow tick looked like new.

Well i did the same today with the .015 patches today, shot 3 shots with 80gr JSG 3F and came out with a 3" group @ 50 yards. Pretty normal with JSG in this rifle. I collected 2 out of 3 patches and then went and reloaded with 80gr APP 3F and did it again. 1" group @ 50 yards with my first 2 shots touching. I'll blame that due to it getting dark out

APP patches on the left, JSG on the Right.

Powder side,

Ball side,

Santa Fe Trail rendezvous is the june 13th so i may just head out there for a day of fun and see how it does. I modded another new nipple for it today and tried a new style of dish. I plan on opening up the flash hole just a touch bigger to allow a bit more flame.

I almost forgot, but while shooting and handling the patches, the Barricade pretty much dried up on your fingers pretty quickly, no greasy mess.

Daryl

Re: Patch lube update
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 04:50:26 PM »
You seem happy with the accuracy- question is, did the gun shoot cleanly and not need any wiping during shooting?

frontier gander

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 05:42:18 PM »
1" at 50 yards i am happy.  Rifle shot super clean with no issues at all. I didnt even have to put any muscle into the ramrod to get the load down.

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 08:03:07 PM »
good for you - I wasn't sure what 1&quot meant.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 08:14:54 PM »
I bought some .015 patches the other day as i wanted to try out the thinner patch in the CVA Hawken. This rifle has been a real pain in the butt on these thinner patches. I would lube them with bore butter, crisco, elk tallow and nothing would work. Shredded patches up the rear end and ok accuracy.
Im not sure if i posted the original experiment on here but, using the Birchwood Casey Barricade rust protector spray on some .018 pillow tick in this Hawken, the pillow tick looked like new.

Well i did the same today with the .015 patches today, shot 3 shots with 80gr JSG 3F and came out with a 3" group @ 50 yards. Pretty normal with JSG in this rifle. I collected 2 out of 3 patches and then went and reloaded with 80gr APP 3F and did it again. 1" group @ 50 yards with my first 2 shots touching. I'll blame that due to it getting dark out

APP patches on the left, JSG on the Right.

Powder side,

Ball side,

Santa Fe Trail rendezvous is the june 13th so i may just head out there for a day of fun and see how it does. I modded another new nipple for it today and tried a new style of dish. I plan on opening up the flash hole just a touch bigger to allow a bit more flame.

I almost forgot, but while shooting and handling the patches, the Barricade pretty much dried up on your fingers pretty quickly, no greasy mess.
I'd think at least twice b/r I'd open up that nipple hole.....You will lose more pressure out that end and maybe she;ll snap the ol hammer back to half draw.. Not good.

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 08:38:06 PM »
Missed that about the nipple, Roger- good catch - don't open up the flash hole in a new nipple, please.  The channel and flash hole is designed to concentrate the flash, making the flash hotter and spraying out into the powder beneath the nipple - making the hole larger will not only allow more pressure to escape up, possibly as Roger says, throwing the hammer to 1/2 cock or worse, but will also reduce the intensity of the cap's flash, the reverse of what is desired. Too much pressure coming out the nipple throws cap fragments (possibly hammer parts as well) all over - and right back toward your shiny eyeball.  Only a few years ago, a small cap fragment finally worked it's way out of my Wife's eye lid.  For 30 years, she had a small 'green' spot in one eyelid.  Oh yeah - an always wear protective eye wear.

If ignition is not good, try dumping the powder in, then thumping the side of the breech with your palm before loading the patched ball.  Lifting the hammer to 1/2 bent position, will allow the air to escape the nipple which will also blow powder down to the area underneath the nipple, in the flash channel itself, which should guarantee good ignition.

ottawa

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 03:56:34 PM »
If all is good with your rifle why open the flash Chanel? like already said it can do more harm then good . did just that with my CVA hawken and had more problems then before hand that hammer going to half or full cock is not good eather  and your accuracy will suffer as well try different nipples if ignition is not good . and also if you make it a little too large then you have the potention for fowlling to get in and stop up the fire chanel as well.