Author Topic: And a Third Southern Mountain Outfit  (Read 4807 times)

Jefferson58

And a Third Southern Mountain Outfit
« on: June 13, 2010, 09:13:24 PM »
Hi Folks:

Since Gary and Mark showed their versions of the full-gusset, heart-shape pouch from Jim Webb's book, I thought I might share mine as well. I was attracted to the unique design of this pouch the first time I saw it in the book.

Unlike Gary and Mark, I had to deviate from the original as I sometimes do. The material is specified as "lightweight cowhide." To me that meant something 3oz. or less, so I decided on goatskin. I felt it would be a better pouch with a lining, so I did the entire inside in aged hemp. There is a hanging inside pocket as well. The strap adjustment is a simple overlapping laced arrangement like some originals I have seen.

I got in trouble with this when I decided that with the lining I should fold a hem under and outside cross stitch the whole pouch. Many hours later, it was finally done.

The horn is a smaller (9" around the curve), oval shape affair that I copied from a Southern Appalachian original. I thought it complimented the pouch rather well.

Comments of all flavors are always welcome.

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Re: And a Third Southern Mountain Outfit
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 09:41:01 PM »
Jeff, great job as usual and now I know what you mean about the stitiching time.  Ouch.  But, I think the time spent ended up with a nice looking pouch.  I thought about lining mine, but left it alone for now.  I think if I use lightweight hides again I think it would be better to line with something next time.  I usually do, but took a different path on mine.  Oh well. 
And the horn looks like it grew there.  Great combo.  Thanks for sharing with us Jeff.

Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 05:18:24 AM »
Good work, Jeff .. That bag looks like it has been hanging there for decades. Thanks for sharing .. Bill Hey

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 05:28:46 AM »
Jeff,

I just love the wrinkles and the texture in that bag.  I think your choice of leather made it.    I wouldn't have done the cross stitch along the outside of the bag, but it certainly works as does the hemp.   Just another example of why you have so many ribbons from Dixons.  

Mark

« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 05:32:01 AM by Mark Elliott »

Mitch

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 01:20:40 AM »
Very nice Jeff, as usual....

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 03:27:03 AM »
Jeff,
You da man.  Great looking set!
DMR

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 03:31:46 AM »
Jeff-
That is the bag. I love it. Great job. You missed the heat at Friendship. I think I am still sweating.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:32:10 AM by cwallingford »

RoaringBull

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 06:16:04 AM »
really really nice.

I can see how that stitching took a while!  A learning opportunity here...you wrinkled the leather while wet before sewing it?  Or could you sew it and then wet the entire bag and twist and tug and pull and all?

Jefferson58

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 01:35:17 PM »
Thanks guys, I am glad you like the set. It was a learning experience.

Charlie, I am looking at the heat in Harrodsburg this coming weekend. It should be fun though.

To answer the questions, the hide was washed and wrinkled some  before the pouch was made. It was also worked wet after sewing as well. Either or both can really help the appearance if you are after a "used" look.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 02:36:55 AM »
 Nice set Jeff, the horn and bag really complement each other. Good choice, Well done.

Tim C.