Author Topic: Soaking flints  (Read 23088 times)

Offline sdilts

Soaking flints
« on: June 14, 2010, 04:43:47 AM »
Has anyone heard of soaking flints in kerosene? A guy at our shooting match said that he read years ago that you should soak your flints in kerosene. He couldn't remember what the benefits of doing this were, but he kept his in a small jar of kerosene anyway. I sure have never heard of this before.

Offline Luke MacGillie

Re: Soaking flints
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 04:58:26 AM »
Dont know about soaking in kerosene, but M.R. Harrington when doing Anthro field work with the Lenape recorded a tradition of keeping your flit burried right outside the door to your house to keep it "Fresh"

roundball

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 05:28:21 AM »
Man, we gotta get out and shoot more !!!!!!!!
 ;D

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 06:28:59 AM »
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-307924.html

The claim is soaking them in coal oil or kero prolongs flint life because it keeps them from becoming 'brittle.' 

Don't sound too plausible to me, but that's the claim.

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 07:25:01 AM »
Over the years, I tried soaking flints in oil, kerosene, and water. The only difference I found was the oil and kerosene were harder to remove from the flints than water. None seemed to last longer or spark better than a flint kept dry in the drawer. 

I'm beginning to wonder if the people who come up with these solutions to nonexistent problems have been soaking their heads in Kerosene and oil.  ::)

God bless

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 09:45:22 AM »
Has anyone heard of soaking flints in kerosene? A guy at our shooting match said that he read years ago that you should soak your flints in kerosene. He couldn't remember what the benefits of doing this were, but he kept his in a small jar of kerosene anyway. I sure have never heard of this before.

Flint is impervious to water/oil/petroleum distillate (I have read). This is a colossal waste.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 02:41:48 PM »
If ya soaks 'em in oiel they's burn better! ;D :-*
Old Ford
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

firefoot

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 03:04:41 PM »
GOOD LORD!
What next! Why do people take something simple and complicate the p**** out of it? It's a rock, theres no need to "keep it fresh" It's been in the earth since creation and hasn't gone bad yet. I would have posted earlier but I was absolutely speechless.  WOW!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 03:06:49 PM by firefoot »

Ephraim

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 03:18:37 PM »
What if you put them in potting soil and water them every day? ;D I wonder turn small flints to fit a musket ;D or a flint tree.
Ephraim
sorry
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 04:04:15 PM by Ephraim »

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 03:47:51 PM »
Over the years, I tried soaking flints in oil, kerosene, and water. The only difference I found was the oil and kerosene were harder to remove from the flints than water. None seemed to last longer or spark better than a flint kept dry in the drawer. 

I'm beginning to wonder if the people who come up with these solutions to nonexistent problems have been soaking their heads in Kerosene and oil.  ::)

God bless

I wouldn't be surprised if the people that think this stuff up actually do not even own a flintlock, and I have my doubts they have ever shot one - or even own a rifle.  IMHO from a lot of stuff I've read on internet websites, I really doubt half the people commenting on these sites actually leave their key board to go shooting.

Just my opinion...

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 03:57:17 PM »
Sorta like soaking hickory ramrods in petroleum distalates eh,  or using the golden mean for all your proportions.. ::) ::) ::)
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 04:11:46 PM »
Tim.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 04:27:31 PM »
I couldn't resist..........sorry........... :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 04:29:36 PM »

God bless

I wouldn't be surprised if the people that think this stuff up actually do not even own a flintlock, and I have my doubts they have ever shot one - or even own a rifle.  IMHO from a lot of stuff I've read on internet websites, I really doubt half the people commenting on these sites actually leave their key board to go shooting.

Just my opinion...

Candle Snuffer- I know you just read about soaking flints in kero right here on the Web, BUT - that "old wives tail" is a lot older than any of us here. I agree with what you said, however, about much of the drivel on the web. Since that is the information station of today, that's were we hear this bull. Prior, it was in the gun rags and books written by learners.

Levy

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 04:58:27 PM »
I have no idea whether it works or not (never tried it), but have heard the one about soaking the flints in water.  Maybe the idea about treating a stone with something isn't so far-fetched since some precious stones were/are oiled to help eliminate the appearance of imperfections in the stones and enhance color (such as in emeralds).  I see fellows at the CLA Show looking at the edges of flints with a pen light behind to help reveal any imperfections/flaws in the edge.  If, indeed, the old wives tail has been around for a long time, maybe they thought soaking in something helped with imperfections in the flint?

James Levy

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 05:15:30 PM »
The idea of soaking a flint may have migrated from the realm of knapping flint & chert to make arrowheads and tools, or for decorative jewelry applications.  Heat treating and soaking in water is sometimes done to improve workability and appearance.

For them truly interested, you might start with:

http://www.beau.lib.la.us/lib/features/2008/Lithic_Trivia/08%20June%2008%20%20%20Lithic%20Trivia%20Update/Lithic%20Trivia%20%232%20Updated%208Oct06/WORKSHOP%20AND%20L.P.'S%20JAN%2006/Knapping%20student%20Lithic%20Tool%20Replication%20LP%202006.doc

and scroll down to Part II where they talk about "Alteration of Chert".  Now, I only saw where they talked about soaking in water, but it's pretty obvious soaking in Kerosene instead of water would have the advantage of avoiding any chance that your flint would rust.   ::)

SCL

Dancy

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 05:40:50 PM »
Is soaking the ramrod a waste too? I have never tried it, but thought about it.

Offline bgf

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 05:55:50 PM »

If you love the smell of kerosene, its a great thing to do :) .  Otherwise, its a waste.

J.D.

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 06:57:26 PM »

Soaking ramrods  does work extremely well...but only if the rod is soaked in the urine of 72 vestal virgins for a fortnight  prior to a blue moon.   :D
God bless
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 06:58:53 PM by J.D. »

northmn

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 06:59:24 PM »
They used to recommend soaking a ramrod in coal oil in Dixie GunWorks old catalog.  Never tried it and will ask Rich Pierce if I should soak the flints I bought from him.  Kind of think I know what his answer may be.  Remember a flint sparks best if proportioned so that it is 1.638 X a long as it is wide.

DP

roundball

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 12:49:26 AM »

"...I have no idea whether it works or not (never tried it), but have heard the one about soaking the flints in water..."

A few years ago when the rumors started flying about Tom Fuller getting ready to retire, I got the idea of starting to search for some other black english flint manufacturer SOMEWHERE...I spent many hours over many days surfing and discovered more about black english flint mining and general flint knapping than I ever wanted to.

But, in one of the mining articles there was reference to water and flint rock...and it went on to say that as they're mining flint in underground mines, it's not all that uncommon to break off a big chunk that was part of a void and have gallons of water come pouring out...had been trapped in there for how gosh knows how many hundreds of thousands or millions of years but didn't get absorbed by the surrounding flint rock.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 01:21:45 AM by roundball »

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 01:11:44 AM »
This concept of "oiled gun flints" goes back at least to the 18th century! I have found them listed that way in colonial store records. Eight or ten years ago I posted the same basic question on another message board and got the same basic responses---so it may be a really old wives tale or sales gimmick. The oiled flints listed were more expensive than the regular ones in the same records!

I soaked some flints in water for three years and couldn't detect any difference.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Mike R

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 03:27:12 PM »
I have tried to stay out of this as it seems this discussion has happened several times--perhaps on another website.  I am a geologist with a minor in mineralogy. Flint [mineralogically =chert] is a cryptocrystalline [some amorphous silica] quartz family mineral composed mainly of SiO2 [plus traces of impurities that give it color.  It can hold a small amount of water in its structure, but is basically impervious to water or oils. Water could conceivably be taken up in small amounts in fractures within the chert/flint--such a piece would not be ideal for use as a "flint".  With heat, the small amount of bound water in the material could be released and I suppose keeping flints in water might have been thought to keep them from dessicating.  I don't think it necessary for sound flints.  Flint/chert occurs in various forms. The classic black nodules from the chalk beds in England are the best known--these nodules are generally clean solid silica with few 'flaws'. Bedded cherts are common world-wide and the midcontinent cherts of the USA are one source--I believe Rich Pierce uses them.  These cherts are generally stratified rather than separate nodules [though nodular beds exist], extensive and in places interbedded with other rock types. These cherts beds are best called 'rocks' than minerals. They often contain more 'impurities', more fractures, and sometimes micropores.  The crystallinity varies more so than the best English flints.  Nonetheless they can supply fine material for flints [and were extensively used by natives for tools and points]. The Arkansas Novaculite is a form of bedded chert as is the Boone chert of southern Missouri....I personally don't soak flints.

Offline wmrike

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 04:41:37 PM »
Just to dump some cold science onto the subject, flint is non-porous and non-permeable as Dan indicated.  Soaking won't get you far.  Beyond that, the rock would have to be reactive to water/kerosene in some way to effect a change in the rock properties.  However, quartz (flint) is about the most stable, non-reactive mineral there is; I'm trying to think of something more reactive and I'm drawing a blank.

roundball

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 04:52:07 PM »
I haven't engaged in any other hobby in my lifetime that has so many "hand-me-down" folk lore type sayings as the muzzloading hobby seems to have...soaking flints is just one of them...
 ;D