Author Topic: Silver's Jeager  (Read 8216 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Silver's Jeager
« on: June 16, 2010, 03:46:08 PM »
I see on the Blog today a few casual pictures of a new Mark Silver Jeager hanging on his booth wall. Is that as good as it looks? Anybody get to handle it? If I would have know that gun was down there I might have made the trip just to see it! :o
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: Silver's Jeager
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 04:57:27 PM »
Hi Mike - yes - it is stunning.  17th century European guns are way out of my realm of knowledge, and really interest for that matter, but this one is really jaw-dropping when you see it.  The design and execution of the inlay work is just amazing.  I wish I had gotten more photos of it to post, but was sort of limited on time Saturday. 

I am sure it will surface again soon.  I would not be surprised if he puts it on his website.  It really is that good - not that his other work is shabby either  ;)

Guy

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 05:41:01 PM »
It's fantastic.  Spent quite a bit of time looking it over at the seminar.  There are very few contemporary guns that can stand with this one.  Mark put a tremendous amount of work into this.  It really is a great accomplishment.

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 07:20:41 PM »
I was able to view the rifle this past weekend. I did not dare ask to pick it up, but I think it is a really great looking rifle. I am not sure I would have the patience to build on at this point in my life. Mark mentioned that he had several months in just in wire work.
Really amazing.
Marc

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 08:03:04 PM »
I agree, absolutely out of this world. Super, super workmanship

Offline Joey R

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 04:34:02 AM »
Had the opportunity to see it and talk about 45 minutes with Mark. Pictures do not do the rifle justice. A stunning piece of craftsmanship.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 03:29:32 PM »
Am hoping he will have it on display at the CLA show.   Son John made the special Jager barrel for it.   By the way, the
guy sitting next to Mark is Tom Snyder who posts on here frequently.......Don

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 04:09:25 PM »
Don--
It will knock your eyes out. Mark is quite an artist.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 05:19:44 PM »
My apologies to Tom and several others whose names I failed to get - I was snapping photos sort of quickly ;)

Charlie - I meant to get back to your booth after the rain stopped and get some photos there too but ran out of time.   For those of you who may not know, Charlie now has Booth 98, which is where Myron Carlson was for many years.  It's nice to be able to walk through the breezeway there and see him keeping up the tradition of iron mounted southern rifles on that corner.  That row was getting pretty thin for a few years with regard to traditional longrifles so I am glad Charlie is there now.

With regard to Mark's gun it's easy to get overwhelmed thinking about the perfect execution of the inlay and carving, but what struck me the most was the beauty and originality of the design - traditional, yet not a pattern that looks like an exact copy of anything I've seen before.

Guy

brokenflint

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 05:46:44 PM »
Mike

that thing is outstanding, I was afraid to look at it much less touch it at bowling green !!  Mark is truly talented and this rifle really struts his stuff.   The fowler and the in the white rifle on the table where no slouches either.  I think the fowler was the prototype for the new Chambers kit, but I may be wrong on this, Jim can chime in on that to yea or nay it.   I took some photos of the jaeger, one of these days I need to get a photo account LOL.

Broke

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 03:56:09 AM »
I see on the Blog today a few casual pictures of a new Mark Silver Jeager hanging on his booth wall. Is that as good as it looks? Anybody get to handle it? If I would have know that gun was down there I might have made the trip just to see it! :o

I talked with Mark quite a bit over the past few days. My son took a number of photos of the gun.  I haven't sorted thro the pics yet but will post them.  The gun is stunning.  We did not handle it but Mark held it so we could photograph the gun from different angles.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 05:06:24 AM »
Below is a link to pics from Mark Silver's gun in the both at Friendship.  I included a couple of the creek over its banks again.  Mark's gun is incredible.  My son, Kevin, took the pics while Mark and I gabbed.

http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l72/lpletch/Friendship%20Spring%202010/

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

California Kid

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 05:58:29 AM »
Larry, thanks for the pics. Brought back memories of Friendship, haven't been for 20 yrs! Everybody is looking a little older than I remember! HA HA!
Great gun by Mark as usual.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 05:05:42 PM »
Good Lord, what a gun! :o
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 06:06:09 AM »
Can  you  hear  that?  No?  That's  because  it's  the  sound  of  stunned   silence!!

Al Lapp

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 10:17:37 PM »
I have seen some pretty nice guns in my day. All I can say Is " WOW " that is fantastic.    Al