Author Topic: Question for the Horners here.  (Read 4211 times)

FG1

Question for the Horners here.
« on: June 17, 2010, 12:50:10 AM »
I have a couple large Herford range bull horns with all the rough scale on them. What is the best method of removing the scale to get down to working on the horns?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Question for the Horners here.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 01:54:53 AM »
  I would start with a coarse rasp, like a 49 or 50 Nicolson, just get the rough stuff off, then switch over to something with a finer cut, like if you started with a 50 next would be a 49. Then something like a 10” half round Bastard file, working around as you go.  Then scrapers or broken glass to smooth out the rasp marks. Got any pics of 'em?  Hope this helps.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:01:49 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 06:02:27 AM »
The real challenge is getting the livestock to stand still while you do this, LOL. 
If the horn is nice and thick I use a drawknife to take the bark off.  Then I go to a spokeshave.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 06:15:22 AM »
The real challenge is getting the livestock to stand still while you do this, LOL. 
If the horn is nice and thick I use a drawknife to take the bark off.  Then I go to a spokeshave.

Rich all you need is a full moon and a good hacksaw and you can get the horn off.  I use the rasp and scrapper method but the spokeshave would help a lot .  Bull horns are pretty thick, what I would do first is make sure I can get the hole through it.  I always do that first. Thats just me.
Coryjoe

BrownBear

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 07:14:30 AM »
I have a couple large Herford range bull horns with all the rough scale on them. What is the best method of removing the scale to get down to working on the horns?

I get a fair number of horns from our grazing range and that of neighbors in the Southwest each year, and they're often quite scaly.  Rasps proffer the sincere potential of cutting too deeply, leaving you to chase scratches and scrapes to tarnation and back.

I have had the best luck by far scraping them, mostly from the butt to the tip.  I formerly used a large butcher knife held with the edge 90 degrees to the horn, but with time have worked my way down to a good-sized pocket knife.  It's much easier to hold the horn in one hand and manipulate a small knife than a larger one, and only the same amount of blade contacts the horn whether a large knife or a somewhat smaller one is used.

Best of all, scraping is much faster than rasping, even without consideration of the time required to remove all the rasp marks.  Then there's the elimination of the potential for creating flats, as can happen unless great vigilance is applied along with the rasp.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 07:15:53 AM by BrownBear »

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 07:21:07 AM »
My experience is that of BrownBear. I use Lie-Nielsen cabinet scrapers with little or no problems. The scale falls away rather easily. When I have used rasps, gouging is always problematic. Good luck .. Bill

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 07:23:35 AM »
Soak the horns in a bucket of water for a day or so and then take a scraper to it wet.   

Mark E.

FG1

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 11:53:31 PM »
Thanks fellas !!

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 02:25:51 AM »
Frank, another method of the wet scrape is to put a post in the ground, slide the horn over the post and use an old fashioned 2 handed hose paint scraper, peels it off like peeling an apple.