Author Topic: A very interesting site I had not seen before  (Read 4227 times)

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Daryl

Re: A very interesting site I had not seen before
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 05:56:08 PM »
Interesting - and Doc only made a few major mistakes in his ballistics charts. Only one of which is his depiction of FPE as being meaninful. Another is his .69 cal. ballistics comparred to a .58 minnie for speeds vs. powder charges.  Perhaps he had a slow .69 or he didn't use patches that sealed.  In '86, I got 1,225fps with 82gr. 3F. Today, the GOEX is faster yet, and 2f matches that lot of 3F I chrono'd then.  To show 1,100fps with 60gr. form a .58 doesn't compute either - I got 800+change - 300fps is quite a difference. Other stuff- guess it doesn't matter. Overall, a good article, though.

Guess I now have to rush right out and get a bolt actioned, plastic stocked, stainless scoped stainless barreled inline, some plastic jackets, jacketed bullets and Pyrodex and shotgun primers for igniton - oh yeah, some plastic speed loaders for the neoprene butt mounted ctg. holder - NOT going to happen. ;D

I did notice something interesting in the charts, which comes into the other thread here, on a similar topic.

.69RB - 1,800fps - zero at 125yards - drop at 225yards was 22"
.58 Minnie,  1,100fps - zero at 125yards - drop at 225yards was 38"
.45 cal 490gr. bullet - 100gr. Pistol Pyrodex, zero at 125yards - drop at 225 yards - 28"
.45 cal. 490gr. bullet - 120gr. Pistol Pyrodex, zero at 125 yards - drop at 225yards - 22".

PISTOL PYRODEX ?? :o

Seems the old 'PUNKIN BALL" isn't that bad afterall, when compared to same weight slugs over normal hunting ranges - hmmm - think I might have mentioned that before.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 06:09:02 PM by Daryl »

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 07:22:17 PM »
I spent an afternoon shooting with Doc a couple of years back & really enjoyed it.  He was shooting one of his creations & doing very well indeed.  He makes some really interesting rifles, not just the usual (though very artistic) guns that we usually see.  Though we would certainly differ on inlines, his history with GRRW & his present building & shooting are pretty impressive.  ......and if you ever need someone to snake a scope up your posterior to have a look at your colon, he's the man in Roosevelt, UT! 
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 08:23:28 PM »
.......and if you ever need someone to snake a scope up your posterior to have a look at your colon, he's the man in Roosevelt, UT! 
Roger B.

BOY, talk about information overload!!!  It amazes me none of those folks have heard of miniaturization. ::)  ::)

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 03:06:12 AM »
yeah- tks Roger- I didn't need the picture presented by your last sentence. ;D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:06:24 AM by Daryl »

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 11:06:25 PM »
The man is a true humanitarian.  I understand he doesn't charge extra for lubricant ;D  You don't get that type of care from some big city doctor.  Which reminds me; for all of you members over 50..............
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 04:56:28 AM »
All kidding aside, since the subject has been broached. if you're over forty, and haven't had the up periscope, get a colonoscopy.  This is from a guy that no longer has a colon, and is cancer free, and is lucky enough to still be around enjoying rocklocks, building, and 11 grandkids, and this site.  PSA over.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?