Author Topic: Another list of obscure early Pennsylvania gunsmiths  (Read 3810 times)

jwh1947

Another list of obscure early Pennsylvania gunsmiths
« on: June 17, 2010, 10:49:11 PM »
This is not intended for professional historians; it would be presumptuous for a mere amateur such as me to assume that I could add anything to their encyclopedic knowledge.  Rather, it if for other laymen who have a general interest in historical things that relate to Pennsylvania guns.

As I wrote in previous posts, there was a gun factory where they made both rifles and muskets in Hummelstown from 1777 to 1779.  I didn't make this up; thorough documentation is extant in both Colonial Records and Pennsylvania Archives.

This comes from Wm. H. Egle's Notes and Queries, a 19th century source reprinted in 1970.

Egle writes, "In 1779 it is well known that there were a large number of gunsmiths at Hummelstown making arms for the continental army.

Prior to 1782 the town was know an Frederick-town, after Frederick Hummel.  Incidentally, Frederick not only worked there, but he was given officer's rank and apparently worked as Peter DeHaven' attache. 

Here is Egle's list of arms makers reported to have worked at the arms factory:

Peter Shot                  Jacob Hammer
Jack Riegert                Adam Baum
Widow Wetherhold     Barnard Fridley
Sebastian Creas         Jacob Myer
Frederick Hummel       Henikle Schwoontz
Widow Eurick              Peter Hiney
Christopher Bogner    Melchor Reigert
John Philips                 Henry Weiser
Andrew Hearauf

Speculation on my part.  Men were needed to fight the war.  Perhaps these men were given a pass due to their direct efforts toward the war.  Note two female gunsmiths.  For this period, this would constitute a substantial sized facility.  Adam Baum is listed, with a gun, in Shumway's Rifles of Colonial America, in Derry Twp. (same locality) and Sellers lists a Peter Reigert as a Committee of Safety maker in Lancaster at that time.  Perhaps a relative, but not an uncommon name around here, even to this day.  For what it is worth.  Wayne