Author Topic: ?????  (Read 5439 times)

droptine55

?????
« on: June 20, 2010, 01:56:54 AM »
have a friend who has cast roundballs out of wheel weights, i have heard that they are to hard for muzzleloading.but if they are wrapped in a patch, how are they going to do harm to thew barrel?or is this that they are to hard for hunting purposes. the other question is what %of weight of soft lead with the wheel weight lead would make it soft enough to be applicatable.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Re: ?????
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 05:24:14 AM »
If the lead is too hard the balls will be very hard to load. Just push a patched ball in the bore and you will find dents and cloth prints at each land. Hard lead won't hurt the barrel but it may mean that loading is a pain.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

omark

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 07:35:09 AM »
wheel weights can cause more damage to steel targets. they wont expand in game like soft lead, but, depending on what you are hunting, that may be an advantage as they penetrate deeper.  mark

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 02:52:42 PM »
The classic test for whether lead is soft enough to use for ML roundball is the 'thumbnail test.'  If you can't scratch the lead with your thumbnail and see a bright shiny scratch, it's too hard. 

Do a search on 'wheelweight' and you'll find lots of previous discussion on the pros and cons of using WW for smoothbores, hunting  and in rifles.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 05:14:21 PM »
have a friend who has cast roundballs out of wheel weights, i have heard that they are to hard for muzzleloading.but if they are wrapped in a patch, how are they going to do harm to thew barrel?or is this that they are to hard for hunting purposes. the other question is what %of weight of soft lead with the wheel weight lead would make it soft enough to be applicatable.

It will depend on the land groove ratio of the barrel. I shoot WW and lead interchangeably in my 16 bore with 8 very narrow lands using a slightly thinner patch. NOTE: WW will cast a larger ball from the same mould when compared with lead. Most alloys used to harden lead will reduce the shrinkage and the ball will be a few thousands larger.
Green Mountain barrels should use WW OK since they have fairly narrow lands as well.
The myth that soft lead had to be used stems from the land groove ratios of original barrels with often had lands much wider than the grooves. Hard lead will cause grief in these for sure especially since the harder lead would have made a larger ball from the same mould..
The idea that WW balls would harm a barrel is simply ridiculous.
Letting the patches get dirty is a far greater threat.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 05:44:01 PM »
Ditto the above. As Dan and the other noted, WW won't harm the barrel, & his observation of different rifling styles is spot-on.  If you have difficlty getting pure lead, you can use WW, BUT - you willneed a smaller ball mould - depending on the calibre and groove depth, up to .020" smaller than the bore.

droptine55

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 08:46:17 PM »
thanks for all the input, has definately shed some light on the subject

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 11:38:17 PM »
I plan on using WW in my .62 smoothie and will soon be ordering a .590 mold just for WW ball.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 12:42:02 AM »
I bought a .562" mould for the tight bore'd Enfield and have tried the mould with WW in a normal .580 bore'd rifle. They would perfectly, being some .018" undersize to it's bores.

Many guys here use WW in smoothbores, including myself, Taylor, Hatchet Jack, probably Leatherbelly and Crispy- 3 .62's, Taylor's .62 and .77, and Crispy shooting a 28 bore.  I believe Clarence is using pure lead balls in his 24 bore smoothie, same ball he uses in his .54 rifle barrel - same gun.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 02:16:58 AM »
WW fine in a knuckleballer; but you will tear up your patching while loading it in a rifle barrel with a tight combo.

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 04:19:14 PM »
Depends on the ball and patch size, Roger.  I've been shooting WW's out of the .69 since 1986.  Until I got the .675" mould, I had to stop using WW at 90gr. 3F, 110gr. 2F due to the thinner patches needed. At those levels, the pressure wa such that a thicker patch was needed, but couldn't be loaded with the first mould, a .684".  The smaller ball allows a .030" denim patch that maintains it's entegrity.  I've picked up all the spend patches, then re-lubed them and used them a second time with perfect accuracy and wihtout tearing or burning them on the second shot.