Author Topic: Small drill bitts  (Read 2436 times)

Offline smylee grouch

Small drill bitts
« on: November 24, 2020, 06:42:21 PM »
I would like to find some small drill bitts ( smaller than 1/16 ) that are longer than the standard length. Also, my drills chucks dont always get closed down tight on these small drill bits so what do most guys do to get them tight?

Offline borderdogs

Re: Small drill bitts
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 07:21:44 PM »
I get small drills from Gesswein;

https://www.gesswein.com/p-3963-busch-twist-drills-fig-77-set-of-12.aspx

Not sure about longer lengths though,
Rob

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 07:27:47 PM »
My number drills go from 1 to 80.  For the smaller bits, I use a collet pin chuck by Eclipse.  Use the highest speed your drill press can achieve and a gentle touch.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline okieboy

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 11:03:48 PM »
 To use small drill bits in standard size drill motors/presses, a simple approach is to chuck up a smaller chuck.

https://www.micromark.com/Micro-Drill-Chuck_2

PS Micromark has all kinds of specialized tools that are difficult to find elsewhere.
Okieboy

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 03:51:20 AM »
Thanks every one for the heads up on the tools.  I can find all kinds of the reg. length drills but can't seem to locate extra long small drills. Then holding them is also a problem so I will be reaching out to those contacts listed so far. Thanks again and happy thanksgiving to all.  :)

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 04:11:41 AM »
We have a spring micro-drill chuck at work. It mounts in a collet on the mill and you use the little spring finger plunger to do the peck drilling. Like mentioned above, spin it as fast as you can. They are delicate.
Psalms 144

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 04:54:37 AM »

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 09:19:02 AM »
Curiosity forces me to ask just why are you using these tiny bits.  Is it related to longrifles at all

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 03:44:13 PM »
The longer bits are referred to as aircraft length.  I am not sure of available sizes.

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 07:40:54 PM »
When I was building scale radio controlled aircraft, I sometimes needed an extra long drill bit, but never anything smaller than 1/16" (.0625").  So I just silversoldered on a drill rod extension.  That won't work for bits as small as #60 and smaller.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 09:50:41 PM »
My Huot Drill Index, St. Paul has up to #80, at .0135", but they are quite short.
A pin chuck is necessary.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 03:10:19 AM »
I was going to use the xtra length drills to drill a series of small holes through the forearm and then burn the slot through the series of holes for the wedge keys. When I burned through on another build the slot got a little too big after I cleaned up the burned wood with needle files. Thinking that starting with smaller holes to burn through I could avoid enlarging the slot too much as I filed the slot.

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 03:28:16 AM »
sg:  you shouldn't need anything finer than 3/64" drill bit...anything finer would be very difficult to remove the web between the holes.

I don't bother to remove the burnt wood, but I do not heat the steel burning tool to red.  Several small heats is better than one big one that leaves a charred hole too big for the key.  And I file a burner piece considerably smaller than the slide that goes in the hole, approaching the size gently.  And before I drill I shape the forestock down to almost finished dimensions.  That way, I remove the charred outer wood when I finish shaping the stock.  And I only drill to the centre of the stock, from each side, never completely through the forestock in one pass.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 03:48:40 AM »
OK good idea. I do have the blank on that gun cut down close to the finished thickness, just slightly oversized.  A regular length drill would be ok for half way and probably less prone to breaking off trying to go all the way through.

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2020, 09:57:05 PM »
SG:  if you are using keys or slides, you will have already cut the slot for the key prior to drilling the holes for the key.  So laying out the location of the small rectangle that forms the slot for the key, on both sides of the stock, requires very accurate measurement.  Once I have established the location and the outline of the key on the wood, I centre punch three times along the length of the rectangle, set the drill press on its highest speed, and very carefully drill the three holes to intersect with the slot in the tenon.  then I turn the stock over, level it carefully, and drill the second set of holes.
I make thin chisels out of high carbon steel to cut away the wood between the holes, prior to burning the very little remainder of wood.  The keys fit very snuggly in the rectangular slot ans slip easily through the slot in the tenon.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2020, 11:24:32 PM »
Thanks for a very good explanation of your process. Your method is about what I was considering but my thoughts were that I might be less prone to getting the off side " OFF " in relation to the starting side if I drilled all the way through the forearm and then cut the rectangle on the off side. Doing it that way you will have the chance to getting one or more of the drill holes too high or too low on the off side if you don't have your rifle square when drilling. Also, I don't know if the small amount of taper in the barrel will throw thing off any. Any thoughts on that are welcome.

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2020, 11:36:00 PM »
I use very small bits for horn bases at times.   I have some small dremel tool collets for extra small diameter bits that i came across.  I place the bit into this, and then chuck the collet and bit in my drill.   Gives me more portability and ease of use than the dremel itself. 

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2020, 11:27:37 PM »
Just curious, Why do you need extra-long small drill bits?  How long?

• Member 3
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2020, 12:02:31 AM »
I think SG was planning to drill all the way through the forestock, undersized, so he could cut the rectangular slots for keys.  I would not try this.  For sure, the bit is going to wander and not come out in the rectangular area for the key, creating a huge issue.  Drilling in a pre-planned and laid out area from each side to the middle, solves that.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2020, 12:49:39 AM »
Yes Taylor, that was what I was thinking of but after your explanation of your process I think I will be coming in from both sides. Thanks for the insight.

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2020, 11:26:52 PM »
I highly suggest that a person never drill all the way through a stock from one side. Very seldom does it come out where you want it to no matter what. Once in a while I get brave and try it again only to be sorry.