Author Topic: For the engravers among us ...  (Read 12482 times)

Offline B. Hey

For the engravers among us ...
« on: June 21, 2010, 06:16:28 AM »
I'm very interested in trying my hand at engraving lock plates, side/toe plates, etc. I have no engraving experience. Would someone care to suggest a list of basic tools and where they might best be procured? Thanks for your help. Bill

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: For the engravers among us ...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 04:30:40 PM »
3/16" Momax Cobalt square engraver blanks form Brownells.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline sz

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 04:45:42 PM »
As mike said, get the Momax Cobalt gravers.
However you'll need more.
1st off, I would suggest you get Linton Mackenzie's first DVD to see how he did things.  He'll show you ways to get started.  You are going to need a good quality small vice, mounted in a ball so you can turn your work.  You'll need a small hammer.
You are going to need a stone or two, so you can sharpen your gravers.
Other things you may find helpful will be a good set of 1.5 power reading glasses so your eyes don't get too tired, and the book "The Art of Engraving' by Meek,  as well as any other "how to" books you can find.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 05:04:10 PM »
  The Meek book is near useless for early type engraving, or even hammer and chisle work in general. The McKenzie videos are excellent. #1, and #2 are very good. #3 not so much for the type of engraving you want to do.
MIKE, did you mean 3/32", or do you use a graver that large? For me 3/32" is plenty large enough, but I know everyone does things different.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 05:37:04 PM »
Yea, probably 3/32"....I don't do much measurin'..... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Walt S

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 06:51:09 PM »
With no engraving experience I think a good book is a basic tool. I think the best engraving book for a beginning engraver is “The Basics of Firearms Engraving”. Brownells sells the book for $19.99. If you do a Google search, you can find this book used, I have seen it on Ebay. This is the book that is used in the NRA engraving school.  This book is set up for using a hammer and chisel. Each chapter is a lesson that the student follows. You start off cutting straight lines. Then curve lines, and then you put the curve lines together and it goes on from there. If you follow the exercises in the order that are in the book I think in will be a good start for a beginner.

When I purchased this book about 15 years ago, chapter one was on sharpening. Well I didn’t think I needed that chapter, so I started with chapter 2, cutting lines. I think we all know how that turned out. About a year later I went back and read chapter one, I read is many times.  A beginning engraver would be wise to spend the time learning to sharpen the chisel first.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1701/Product/THE_BASICS_OF_FIREARMS_ENGRAVING

Ws

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 07:10:14 PM by Walt S »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 12:02:05 AM »
Here is a sheet I handed out at Dixon's last year. If you can't print it, I can pdf it to you. tcurran@fairpoint.net

Tom

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 12:02:38 AM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Online J. Talbert

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 12:37:26 AM »
There's no single secret to good engraving, but there is a central fact.  That is: You won't master engraving until you have mastered the skill of sharpening your engraving tools.
For that reason I am a big advocate of the Lindsay sharpening system.
http://airgraver.com/sharpening.htm
By following the simple instructions with this system, almost anyone can sharpen the tool to the same point repeatedly.  It would be hard to overstate the value of that, especially to the beginner.
You can start out with just the basic fixture, which will accept any 3/32" graver blank and can be used with any type stone, as long is the stone 1/2" above base that the fixture rides on.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Online T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 02:51:54 AM »
Lindsay just came out with an 1/8" collet for his template system.  I got the first one.  This enables you to use standard HHS lathe bits which are less than $1 each instead of high dollar 3/32" ones everyone sells.

He also came out with a new pnuematic graver for doing large, heavy duty pieces like motorcycle and car parts.  However, it is the only one that will take 1/8" tips, so if you want to use them you will have to make your own graver handles to fit.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 02:08:17 PM »
I second the Lindsay sharpening system. I believe Paul Hamler, the man who makes the miniature flintlock rifles, invented that system.

Dave, that 1/8 collet will be a boon to us engravers. I have been frustrated many times by having to try to find the 3/32 bits on the market. Thanks for the info on that.

Tom

Offline Captchee

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 08:02:31 PM »
 ill add a 3rd to the above . i love every aspect of my Lindsey  system

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 08:04:30 PM »
Speaking of things that would help a beginning engraver, does anyone know when John Shippers book is due out?
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Online T*O*F

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 09:14:47 PM »
Dave, that 1/8 collet will be a boon to us engravers.
Lindsay's new handpiece is called the Nitro G20 and is the only one which will accept the 1/8" tips.  I think I shamed him into making my collet, as I said I had purchased several of his templates, but couldn't use them unless I made another whole set of graver handles.  He had them scheduled for later production, but went into his shop and made mine within an hour.  That's customer service.

Now we just need to get someone to make QC tips that will accept them.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

fix

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 04:19:03 AM »
I like my gravers to be rather long. The added length makes them easier for me to control. I had trouble finding blanks long enough.
 I found that chainsaw files (the smaller ones) work well for me. I use the square tang end and tap on the round end. By putting them in a vise I can break them off at the right length. Just grind the tangs to the shape you want. I can pick up old files for just a couple bucks at flea markets, and new ones aren't all that expensive, six bucks at the local farm store.

Don't try to use them as files again though. The sharpened end goes into your hand much easier than the unsharpened tang.

SuperCracker

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 02:33:48 PM »
With no engraving experience I think a good book is a basic tool. I think the best engraving book for a beginning engraver is “The Basics of Firearms Engraving”. Brownells sells the book for $19.99.

Any idea where else to get this book or does anyone have a used copy they'd sell? It seems to be out of print and out of stock everywhere

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 04:15:21 PM »
I find used copies on Amazon or ABE books occasionally.

Online T*O*F

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 04:29:39 PM »
Cracker,
Used copies bring $80 and up on the used book market.  If Brownells doesn't have it, I'd pass and buy the Meeks book.  As an alternative, one of the "Books of Buckskinning" series has an article that will get you started.  I forget which one, but I'm sure someone else will chime in with that info.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 04:54:23 PM »
With no engraving experience I think a good book is a basic tool. I think the best engraving book for a beginning engraver is “The Basics of Firearms Engraving”. Brownells sells the book for $19.99.

Any idea where else to get this book or does anyone have a used copy they'd sell? It seems to be out of print and out of stock everywhere

SuperC,
I was looking for a copy last year and ran into the same situation, then a couple of weeks later I was at Friendship and one of the vendors had a stack of them for sale for $19.99.  Unfortunately, I can't remember which vendor.  I would check some of the ML parts suppliers.  It's a good book.

-Ron
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 04:55:04 PM by KyFlinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 06:01:38 PM »
I'm very interested in trying my hand at engraving lock plates, side/toe plates, etc. I have no engraving experience. Would someone care to suggest a list of basic tools and where they might best be procured? Thanks for your help. Bill

I am a beginning engraver who can do a gun part without having to throw it way, knock on wood, so I am not an expert.

Buy or order from http://smartflix.com/store/category/74/Engraving
Lynton McKenzie's videos. They may save you a lot of money.
I bought a ball, a GRS hone and tool holder off an engravers web site for under 50cents on the dollar. Old ball but with a good set pins etc but all the GRS stuff was new. So I use the hone for sharpening gravers and small wood chisels.  
I cut some stuff clamped in my powerarm mounted vise so a ball is not a absolute must have.
Expecially the part where he describes being able to engrave even high end English guns with nothing but a square graver and a couple of flats.
The 3/32 x 4" graver blanks are no longer available so far as I know, I can't find any. They are now more like 2.7" since so many people use the various air powered hand pieces and such  >:(. So I bought some 1/8" cobalt lathe tools from MSC and put them in different handles since I will have to switch over sooner or later.
Don't reduce the point size too far since the very small tip Lynton uses to speed sharpening is best under high magnification. Having a slightly larger end takes more sharpening but it helps too see what the graver is doing.
You will need a chasing hammer, a light one with a thinned handle and some way to sharpen the gravers.
But watch the McKenzie "Beginning" video before buying stuff. Like I said it might save you a lot of trouble and money in tools and such.
Hartliep's book will help too with learning to sharpen tools but temper the number of engraver styles recommended with the info from McKenzie's video. For most work on a Kentucky the square graver is sufficient. Flats come in handy and a flat made into a round as well but buying a "beginners set" is likely a waste of money.
I am far from an experienced engraver but I know a guy that is and this helps.
Getting the tools sharpened right is also a plus. Getting this, and other things figured out may take a lot of practice plates even if you have an experienced engraver to give advise.
But when I was a kid I could cut my name in a barrel with a sharpened 3 square file. Don't ask why I quite trying and started again decades later.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Walt S

• Starting Member
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 06:38:30 PM »
Super Cracker
Before I replied to this post I went online to Brawnells. The book The Basics of Firearms Engraving is listed, but now I see it is Discontinued. I just went to The Engraver's Cafe, a forum for engravers to find out about the book. Many of the engravers list this book as one of the top 3 instructional books about engraving. But it is now out of print.
So now you have to hunt down the book. Over the years looking for engraving blocks on ebay, I have seen this book for sale many times. Look at this.

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400124931565

This book sold on June 1 2010 $13.45. If you go to ebay each week and do a search you will find this book. You may not fine it this week or next, but in a month or 2 it will show up.

If you go to "The Engranver's Cafe" a forum just like this one. Go to the part were people sell things. Say I am a beginner and would like to buy this book. (Do Not use the word newbee) Someone may sell you a book. Master engravers like to help beginners.

Ws
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 06:42:37 PM by Walt S »

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 06:49:57 PM »
Thanks for all the great info and suggestions. I'm on the search for needed items as soon as I get a better understanding of what's needed. Again ... Thanks for your help ... Bill

Offline Captchee

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 04:23:38 PM »

myself i like hard copies for my library .  but in the main time  i would also search for digital copies  .
many times these can be free . exspecialy if its an older out of print book
 here is one also by Paul N. Hasluck in PDF .called  :Engraving metals
http://www.evenfallstudios.com/woodworks_library/engraving_metals.pdf

Art of engraving 2nd edition
http://books.google.com/books?vid=OCLC07319596&id=IvcrL1b05z0C&pg=PA1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Steve lindsey some time back had a post with alot of links tosome very good information books that were on line . here is a link to that thread
http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=258

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 06:24:23 AM »
Guess I favor the Meeks' book since he was from here in Corn Patch.  All the drawings in the book are actally photos of his engraving!  Us kids used to go over and mooch cookies from his wife (that was before being introduced to Moon Pies).  I still have his funeral card on my desk. It looks like the cover of his book.  Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 01:16:38 PM »
While Meek's book really showcases his incredible talent as an engraver and draftsman, it is a hard book to learn the basics of engraving from, in my opinion.

Check this site out for videos on engraving:
http://smartflix.com/store/category/74/Engraving

Sorry, I can't give you any reviews of the different videos.

I'll be giving a 'Basic Engraving' talk at Dixon's this year.

Tom
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 01:17:26 PM by Acer Saccharum »

J.D.

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2010, 09:47:29 PM »
Dang, I went to Ebay and the sporting goods category is apparently no longer available, nor is hunting or gun accessories. At least I couldn't find them.

I don't think I wanna do business there anymore.

God bless