Author Topic: Original double sett triggers for a pistol  (Read 6725 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Original double sett triggers for a pistol
« on: June 21, 2010, 06:36:05 PM »
A friend of mine pulled these out of his pistol to show me how they were made. I need to make a set for a pistol and had never seen original set triggers from a pistol (inside). Thought they were unique and that you might like to see them. He gave me permission to post them.

How about that unique trigger return spring.
Dennis

« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 11:06:46 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Original double sett triggers for a pistol
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 07:00:50 PM »
Very nice design.
I just did a SS for a pistol based on the drawing in George's English guns a rifles and getting the front trigger spring right was a PITA. May change it to a different design.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

roundball

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 07:03:10 PM »
A friend of mine pulled these out of his pistol to show me how they were made. I need to make a set for a pistol and had never seen original set triggers from a pistol (inside). Thought they were unique and that you might like to see them. He gave me permission to post them.

How about that unique trigger return spring.
Dennis

Interesting...best I can figure from the photos is that it operates like typical double set triggers.

The front trigger return spring looks like it would be heavy along with the force of the front trigger pushing against the sear bar...doesn't look light like a thin little leaf spring might be...could be wrong of course

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 01:27:20 AM »
Thanks for posting the pics Dennis.  Interesting little trigger.  I love the front trigger spring.  That's a unique set up to me. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 01:48:18 AM »

The front trigger return spring looks like it would be heavy along with the force of the front trigger pushing against the sear bar...doesn't look light like a thin little leaf spring might be...could be wrong of course
[/quote]

As with all double lever set triggers, the front trigger is not meant to fire the rifle when the triggers are unset.  It's purpose unset is to simply let the cock down from full or half cock.

roundball

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 02:03:30 AM »
Maybe I'm struggling with terminology...but you're not saying that the excellent Davis double set triggers on my Flintlocks should ony be used in 'set trigger mode' are you ?
Their front triggers by themselves are as smooth as glass and only a couple pounds pull weight...can easily use them by themselves.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 02:24:16 AM »
Maybe I'm struggling with terminology...but you're not saying that the excellent Davis double set triggers on my Flintlocks should ony be used in 'set trigger mode' are you ?
Their front triggers by themselves are as smooth as glass and only a couple pounds pull weight...can easily use them by themselves.

Yes that's what I'm saying.  They may work to fire the rifle, but the geometry of the triggers generally makes for a hard pull if used unset.  To get a couple pound pull and not have a mile of creep on the front trigger would be pretty unusual.

roundball

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 02:31:13 AM »
Terminology...what you're calling creep on the front trigger I call slack.

Its nothing to taking up a little bit of slack until resistance is met by the trigger arm touching the sear arm...then its simply an easy light trigger pull.

To me, "creep" can even be felt in using the set trigger based upon the degree of adjustment and the degree of polish on the release tip...

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 02:35:22 AM »
Creep is different than slack.  Creep is the amount the trigger must travel once touching the sear bar to disengage it.  If you're happy with how the front trigger works unset, no reason not to use it.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 02:36:48 AM »
Dennis,

Thanks for the pictures.  What a neat design.  What did they come off of?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 03:33:38 AM »
One more question.  I see there is an extra hole in the plate for the front trigger.  Any idea of why this might be there?

roundball

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 03:40:29 AM »
Changes in the leverage to reduce the trigger pull or the engagement with the sear bar ?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 03:41:40 AM by roundball »

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 03:45:52 AM »
Dennis,  any  chance  that  we  could  get  a  look  at  the  pistol  the  triggers  came  out  of?  The  triggers  are  nicely  made,  I'll  bet  the  pistol  would  be  neat  too!

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 04:33:44 AM »
One more question.  I see there is an extra hole in the plate for the front trigger.  Any idea of why this might be there?
I'd bet a dollar to a dime it is a misdrilled hole.  Trigger didn't work well and it was re-pinned or the front trigger was replaced after the catch broke. 

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 06:20:45 PM »

I'd bet a dollar to a dime it is a misdrilled hole.  Trigger didn't work well and it was re-pinned or the front trigger was replaced after the catch broke.
I only have the photos and no info on the pistols they came from. I have emailed the owner to ask about the pistol and possibly get photos of it. Haven't heard back. One the extra hole, the owner believed the extra hole was a mistake on location and re-drilled.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 06:28:37 PM »
I've made a set of triggers just like that.  With 3 holes that is.  LOL!   It Happens sometimes.