Author Topic: Two new Fordney rifles  (Read 13785 times)

Bioprof

Two new Fordney rifles
« on: June 23, 2010, 05:51:26 AM »
Niall Sadler asked me to post some pictures of two rifles that he has built for him while he figures out how to post them.   Below is his comments:

I have just completed 2 Melchior Fordney rifles. Several acquaintances have suggested that I should post them on the ALR website. The first rifle is a .50 caliber, the one with the checkering inlaid with silver nails, that I built for my youngest son. He has taken it on a couple of shoots now and just loves it. The other is a .36 caliber which I built for myself to go squirrel hunting  (ground squirrels that is) we have lots of them here. Hope you enjoy the pictures. Cheers Niall

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Re: Two new Fordney rifles
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 05:54:12 AM »
Just Wow, speachless

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 06:02:34 AM »
Oh yeah! A guy could shoot those guns. Very Nice!! Lots of great detail and the overall shape is very pleasing!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 06:02:58 AM »
Well your son is a lucky guy, both guns look to be quality, keep up the good work.  Gary

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 06:13:59 AM »
Very Nice.  we need to get Mr. Sadler on the ALR with us, it looks like he has much to offer.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Ky Ken

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 01:10:25 PM »
Outstanding 8) 8) 8)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
 WOW and WOW!

Tim C.

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 02:45:22 PM »
These are two very nice rifles that really capture Fordney's style.  The execution is spectacular.
Great job, Niall.
Larry Luck

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 02:51:46 PM »
Thanks for posting the pics.  Beautiful rifles. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 02:54:06 PM »
Oh my!

mgcrumster

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 04:33:08 PM »
Greetings bioprof,

Please tell me that you are passing on your talent, and have an apprentice or two!!!!! How many rifles have you built? I applaud your workmanship, please keep it up, I think Mr. Fordney would have been flattered. Great job, Thanks for sharing, and keep posting your work, I love eye candy!!!! :o :o :o

mgcrumster

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 04:49:53 PM »
Sweet and I'm sure all agree!

Thanks for posting.

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 04:50:27 PM »
Very nice work!!!

jwh1947

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 05:07:55 PM »
Scotty, man, you have M. Fordney nailed.  What's not to like?  I'm sending an apprentice down to Mt. Gretna for carving hints, then she can teach me.

Up here we now work on a hockey stick Lehigh with such a beautiful butt stock that I can't bring myself to put a patch box on it.  I'm presenting it plain, and if the customer wants to cover it with brass, I will, if he/she insists.  One of Fred's dense red maple sticks from Jack's Mountain territory.

PS: I learned something from a Juniata Co. cabinet maker yesterday.  All his wood is felled and cut within 20 miles of his shop.  Oak and hickory the standard materials.  Maple 20% more.  Cherry 40% more.  All based on availability.  I found this interesting.   

Offline t.caster

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 10:34:56 PM »
Love both of them! Yes, he has Fordney's style...Nailed!
Tom C.

Bioprof

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 11:45:22 PM »
Greetings bioprof,

Please tell me that you are passing on your talent, and have an apprentice or two!!!!! How many rifles have you built? I applaud your workmanship, please keep it up, I think Mr. Fordney would have been flattered. Great job, Thanks for sharing, and keep posting your work, I love eye candy!!!! :o :o :o

mgcrumster

The only thing that I can take credit for is posting the pictures for Niall Sadler.  He was the one who built the rifles.   Only in my wildest dreams could I imagine building rifles like those.  
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 11:46:10 PM by Bioprof »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 11:47:32 PM »
Niall is a very talented builder.  I had the opportunity to handle a couple of his rifles a few years ago at a week long shoot in Ft. MacMurray Alberta.  He has the ability to glean the nuances of a particular historic maker and expertly apply them to his renditions.  His engraving is much better than the rifles he emulates.  These two rifles are a joy to behold!  One could say he "Niall'd" them.  Ha.  I kill me.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 12:03:28 AM »
Well, the one thing I have learned from this discussion...... ALF is alive and well in Canada.  "Hey cowgirl.... nice calves"   HA!
In His grip,

Dane

lew wetzel

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 12:56:20 AM »
he does some really nice work...carving and engraving just hold my eye to it...very well done....

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 01:03:30 AM »
Having no knowledge or skill in gun building, I am wondering how many hours it took to make either of these guns?
Hurricane

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 02:16:26 AM »
I can't answer that one, but he turns them out two at a time, which is faster than I can.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 02:58:51 AM »
It take a lot of panache to even attempt a good build of a Fordney. Excellent job.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 03:26:46 PM »
Some folks have a wonderfully awesome building ability.  Some have skills that surpass even that.  From what I can see from the photos, Niall is in the latter category. Just downright inspiring....... wow!
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 04:55:32 PM »
#@!! $#@* ---- just stunning ---- I think I will go back and just shoot trap with my OLD Winchester 101 and forget the longrifle building -- I seem to be going backwards instead of forward. More and more talented people doing superior work --- congrats!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Niall Sadler

• Starting Member
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 06:31:46 PM »
Here is an additional photo of the .36 caliber rifle that wasn't posted by TIM