Author Topic: DARYL'S LOG SHOOT!  (Read 8785 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

DARYL'S LOG SHOOT!
« on: June 16, 2010, 05:47:18 PM »
Well not new;but I want to get your attention.....  Please read Daryl's Chunk Shoot posting!

WHAT GIVES???????????????????

Offline Maven

Re: DARYL'S LOG SHOOT!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 02:08:41 AM »
Roger, et al., I don't know what gives, but I'll send Daryl my entry fee tomorrow.   Btw, my club, Marbletown Sportsmen (Stone Ridge, N.Y.) will also be sponsoring an Over-the-Log shoot on July 17, so I'll be able to get my feet wet on this prior to Daryl's shoot.

http://www.marbletownsportsmensclub.com
Paul W. Brasky

mike e

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 05:09:55 AM »
We're all waiting 'till the day before the deadline to send the entry fee! ;D

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 03:56:50 PM »
uh, huh

Offline LynnC

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 06:41:42 PM »
What gives?  Its more like" What Gave?". Like lower back and both knees ;-). That's life.........Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 03:30:29 AM »
Lynn,
You shamed me into it. I'm in.
Mark
Mark

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 04:59:52 AM »
Sent my entry in today.  Postage from Nebraska to Daryl was .75 cents if anyone is wondering how much postage is required.  I would assume this is the same from all U.S. States in the lower 48 and Alaska to Canada.  If you're not sure - check with the post office.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 07:01:14 AM »
Didn't mean to shame anyone into it. A lot better now than this time last year ;-). Just carefull

The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 08:48:45 PM »
Well, I shot mine yesterday.  I used my Chambers Virginia .50 cal.  My load was 85 grains FFg GOEX, .495 pure lead ball, .022" denim patch with saliva (lots) for lube.
I'm not unhappy with my shooting, but this game is not as easy as one might think.  I think my 10 shot group was a little under 2".  Daryl will score it, and post the results at the appropriate time.
Good luck, lads, and do give it a try.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 09:10:55 PM »
It was fun - but hot - Taylor had parcial shade all day - guess I should have set up closer to the bush.  Being out in the sun was not good, however I did manage a 5 shot group on my spotter of just barely over 1" using my .40 cal., 55gr. 3F GOEX + .398" ball and .0215" patch - with - 45F windshield washer fluid with Neetsfoot oil added, shaken, not stirred.  Oh yeah - since I don't compete in my own contest (I'd win, of course) I put all 10 shots on the same target.  I need practise. ;D

Ha Ha - just noticed I had a typo - my 'bud's group was 1", not 9". -
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 05:34:12 PM by Daryl »

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 09:17:23 PM »
Daryl, no reason why you shouldn't compete in this.  Someone has to run it, so as I see it there is no reason I can think of that you shouldn't compete if'n you want'a. :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 09:18:40 PM by Candle Snuffer »

Leatherbelly

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 12:07:24 AM »
Hmmm , You guys need blue bib coveralls!

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 12:47:01 AM »
Taylor,
2" !!!! Daryl should just send the prize to you now. That's some great shooting. But we're going to give it a try anyway.
Mark  :o
Mark

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 05:40:28 PM »
Mark - had to ammend my post - had a typo on my bud's sighting group.  Trouble is, it was just up above the bottom by 3/8" and that 1" hole over the white of the target was staring at me over the sights.  It made me hold higher than I wanted for the best sight picture, due to not being able to see a good black division between the hole and the white underneath the bud.  I think marking the centre of the 'bud's group on a new 'bud' target, then using a stick pin to centre that over the X would be a better way of postioning the bud.  That way, the sighting target's HOLE won't screw up the sight picture as it did to me.  I believe that will work better for me.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 08:45:19 PM »
Well, I shot mine yesterday.  I used my Chambers Virginia .50 cal.  My load was 85 grains FFg GOEX, .495 pure lead ball, .022" denim patch with saliva (lots) for lube.
I'm not unhappy with my shooting, but this game is not as easy as one might think.  I think my 10 shot group was a little under 2".  Daryl will score it, and post the results at the appropriate time.
Good luck, lads, and do give it a try.

You guys are tough - excellent shooting - btw that looks like my Yukon -  are the doors open for a quick gettaway if ol Ephraim shows up ??? ;D

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 12:54:02 AM »
HA! - doors were open due to the extreme heat of the day at 83F - bloody nasty, nasty stuff - I was afraid the old guy beside me was gong to croak in the heat, but alas, I suffered more than he did -  ;D  If I don't have to wear a jacket or at least a sweater, it's too hot for me.  Winter is comfortable now that the climate change is working well.  You guys can have the heat - we (me) hates it. ;D

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 01:29:09 AM »
HA! - doors were open due to the extreme heat of the day at 83F - bloody nasty, nasty stuff - I was afraid the old guy beside me was gong to croak in the heat, but alas, I suffered more than he did -
Daryl, that's right, go ahead and rub it in! It was just a mere 101 today and more on the way!

But I know it can get hot up your way. Few years ago we were in Dawson City Yukon on June 21 (longest day of the year) and the desk clerks were talking about the record heat in Celsius and I asked them to translate that foreign babble into real degrees (Fahrenheit) for us dumb yanks. They did the translation and it was 104 degrees! So much for the cold north country!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 02:20:45 AM »
HA! - doors were open due to the extreme heat of the day at 83F - bloody nasty, nasty stuff - I was afraid the old guy beside me was gong to croak in the heat, but alas, I suffered more than he did -
Daryl, that's right, go ahead and rub it in! It was just a mere 101 today and more on the way!

But I know it can get hot up your way. Few years ago we were in Dawson City Yukon on June 21 (longest day of the year) and the desk clerks were talking about the record heat in Celsius and I asked them to translate that foreign babble into real degrees (Fahrenheit) for us dumb yanks. They did the translation and it was 104 degrees! So much for the cold north country!
Dennis

Shot Friday (24 shooter) 87 degrees - shot yesterday at the Henry homestead Jacobsburg Pa 91 degrees.  Got beat also both shootin and by the heat.

Mike R

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 04:13:05 PM »
pics look COOL and pretty up there--down here if we'd do that in the 100 degree heat we've had lately we'd not be able to jump up fast enough [heat exhaustion]to avoid all the FIRE ANTS!  tough to lay on the ground here abouts...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:34:44 PM by Mike R »

Daryl

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 04:21:22 PM »
No fire Ants here, but the odd red-headed Carpenter ant will give you a nip - rarely - we just don't set up on ant's nests or their pathways through the grass.

Daryl

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 05:20:38 PM »
Few years back, the temp was something like 49C on the rifle range at the Hefley Rondy, in the sun - it was a warm one for the BP ctg. event - guys sitting and laybing down shooting off sticks. Barrels too hot to touch, before shooting.  Leading stickingout the muzzles 2" - quite a sight to see.  That's 122F, btw.
Thankfully, it hasn't been that hot at the Rondy since.

Daryl

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 03:13:35 AM »
2 more entries today - tks to Candle Snuffer and Paul.  Let's think about this - the more the merrier.  I'd hate for this 'event' to stop.  If someone 'down South' wants to take it over next year - all it takes is an offer to run it.