Author Topic: Material for cane powder measures  (Read 11804 times)

El Lobo

Material for cane powder measures
« on: April 27, 2010, 03:09:43 AM »
I am interested in trying my hand at making up a few cane powder measures.  I have a feeling cane is not something that grows up here in the rainy Pacific Northwest.  Does anyone know where a feller might find some authentic cane for such a project?

Many thanks.
Lobo

The other DWS

Re: Material for cane powder measures
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 03:38:09 AM »
old cane fishing poles at yard and junk sales?   Goodwill? I usually see old busted up solid (not the $$$$ split bamboo rods of course) cane poles in places like that.  I've also bought 3 ft lengths of small diameter cane at the Pier 1 and craft stores on occasion.    I'm not sure what variety of cane was actually growing in the upper southern cane-breaks.  But I do recall seeing some clumps of what the locals called "luzianna-bamboo" growing in NW Louisiana on my ex-in-laws property in the 60's. It was their old family farm land going back generations and they had always had the 'boo growing there. it was small though,  no more than an inch in dia. at the ground,  not near as big as the giant oriental stuff.

El Lobo

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 05:35:46 AM »
Thanks, guys.  Jerry, I will send you a PM with my address.

Lobo

wbgv

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 08:32:02 PM »
Please,as a fisher and collector of bamboo[cane] fly rods,don't cut up old rods..it's not the cane you want anyhow..rods are made up of 6 pie shaped wedges,not whole cane..get some river cane from someone who live in the southern regions to mail you some..

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 05:55:53 AM »
Theres a big difference in cane poles and bamboo fly rods.
Psalms 144

longhunter1757

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 02:11:57 PM »
Many sporting goods stores sell cheap cane poles for panfishing. The local Cabelas has them for something like $6. They have a cheap red varnish on them but that should be easy enough to strip off.
You can also find bamboo poles sold through many garden and landscape supply stores. They're used for privacy walls and stakes.

Rich

Mike R

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 03:28:01 PM »
bamboo/cane is a similar group of many different genera and species that occur all over the tropical/subtropical world [but not europe]. American bamboo/cane is just one species of it [I think there are 2 species here, but one dominates]. If you want to be absoultely correct, use American cane from the good ol' south. It grows wild all over Louisiana where it attains small tree size and diameters of 2-3 inches at least, but in Mexico I saw cane the size of pretty big trees and diameters of 6" or more.  I would think that young cane of 0.5-1" diam would be about ideal for measures, but I use antler tips.  I have cut cane for pipestems for clay pipes.

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 08:38:32 PM »
Lowes carries bambo plant stakes that can be used for arrows, atl-atl darts, and powder measures. The good thing about Lowe's is that the stakes are sold individually, as opposed to several in a bag, so's you can riffle through the bin and find the size appropriate for your project.

God bless

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 02:07:20 AM »
Bamboo shoots were used to feed horses comming to the Americas, thus bamboo ended up growing here.  I have a bamboo measure that I made from a "natural" grove that dates to the 18th century in a certain Virginia city that has maintained its 18th century ambiance ;)

OK thats the story I got from the guy living in the historic district who wanted the unauthentic bamboo removed from his backyard, and then found out its "Right"

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 05:00:05 AM »
There is one-and only one-species of cane native to the USA. Commonly it is called Cane or Switchcane (Arundinaria gigantea) depending on where in its geographical range you happen to be. This plant, a member of the grass family as is bamboo, ranges from Maryland/Virginia west to Missouri then South down into Texas then back east through the Southeast to central Florida. Several species of bamboo are in the USA, and all came from China. No where else. The Chinese Bamboo most commonly seen is Phyllostachys aurea.

Switchcane (that's what us Southern Boys call it) is the species that you read about in the Colonial Period ie "Cain-Tuck",etc. William Bartram talks about vast stands of it in present day Florida between Gainesville and St. Marks, the area where Daniel Boone and Squire were lost for several days in swamps.

So.....how do you tell native Switchcane from exotic Chinese Bamboo? Simple. Here's how.

Both are formed from hollow joints that have a hardened membrane seperating the joints in a very pronounced enlarged ring. If the next joint above the ring has an indention running up a short distance then the plant is exotic bamboo. If the joint is totally round above the ring, no indention just totally round, it is native Cane---the plant most likely used to make powder measurers. Hope this helps a little.

Offline trentOH

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 06:04:36 AM »
I found a plant locally which has a hollow stem, and sometimes gets up toalmost 2 inches diameter. It would have made great cane-style measures or containers, except for one nagging deal-breaker: the plant is poison hemlock!

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 02:58:32 PM »
trent, my dendrology books reference 9 hemlocks in the USA, 3 of which are imports from the Orient, but none of which are poisionuous. I strongly suspect that your hemlock is called hemlock as a local name, and is most probably a different genus not related to hemlock. That's a common situation and is the reason even ole dumb country boys like me will use the Latin name of a plant when talking about different plants....not an attempt to sound like a "smartazz". If you can tell me a little about your hemlock-the Latin name would be great if you know it-maybe I could find out a little about it and maybe find out how to avoid the poison part. Might be something that you could use!

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 04:20:41 PM »
We have a lot of "poison hemlock" around her as well. I don't think it would work for powder measures. When the pith is removed the outer shell is very thin and weak. I would think that it would basically crumble in your hand.
Rich--
The stalk almost looks like rubarb. It has that kind of coloration. I don't know any other name for it other then "poison hemlock". I would like to know if you can find out anything more.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 05:00:04 PM »
Woodsrunner - put away your dendrology book and get out your Flora of the Carolinas or similar and look up Poison hemlock (Conium maculatum). It is found naturalized throughout large parts of the US though is not native. All parts are poisonous as Socrates well knows.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 05:40:15 PM by Robert Wolfe »
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 08:42:08 PM »
Okay...now who has access to a handy switch cane swamp and is willing to send a small box full of it to a bag/accoutrement  maker here in the cane-less wilds of the northern Illinois prairies...? ;D

Seriously...I would love some more proper switch cane to make measures from...I think I  had a length awhile ago, but used it all up...
TCA
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 10:07:34 PM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 09:39:15 PM »
There are three native bamboo species in the United States: giant cane (A. gigantea), switch cane [A. tecta (Walter) Muhl.J, and hill cane (A. appalachiana Tripplett, Weakley, and L.G. Clark) (Triplett et al. 2006).

I have been looking for it in nature and at a nursery so that I can start some in my yard. I am looking for the gigantea (20 ft )  and the Tecta (6-8 ft) to have a mixture.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 12:20:14 AM »
Looks like Dr.Tim is probably correct in saying that there are 3 and not 1 species of Switchcane-which is the only native bamboo type native to the USA, and here's why.....the modern discovery of DNA!

Taxonomists, the folks who study and catalog plants, have a reputation of disagreeing about what constitutes a variety of a species and a true different or seperate species. Switchcane, for example! Initially only one species was recognized,  Arundinara gigantea. Then along in the late 1700's a taxonomist, forget the name, argued for another species, A. tecta, I think it was. That was argued over until about 1914 or so when most but not all of the plant folks accepted it as a seperate species. Some taxonomists accepted it only as a variety, A. gigintea var tecta. Then another species was argued for, A. appalachiana, because it grew at higher elevations in the Southern Mountains, and had some difference in appearances. Only in the last 4 or 5 years, with the help of DNA evidence, it is proven that we do have three distinct and seperate species of Switchcane! So where does that leave someone who wants to be totally "period correct" in making a cane powder measurer? Looks like going to the geographic location being portrayed and collecting Switchcane from that location is the only way! Good luck  ;)

William Worth

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 02:52:28 PM »
T.C. Albert, I could send you some of our last year's bean poles if you want.  We use our local "River Cane" for bean poles and cut new one's most every year.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 07:54:15 PM »
The craft store Michaels sells bundles of cane, I just discovered.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

jrice

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 03:08:13 AM »
T.C. What real nice bag accourtrement would you trade me for a nice box of cane?
Jerry

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 03:12:48 AM »
I had a few pieces of cane laying around and made a couple of measures, nothing to write home about, but also used one piece to make a handle for a straight razor patch knife.
Mark
Mark