Author Topic: forging iron mounts  (Read 16306 times)

chuck c.

forging iron mounts
« on: June 24, 2010, 06:55:09 PM »
I forged the iron mounts on my last build, and they came out OK after several failed attempts due to a lack of knowledge and equipment. I even tried using my fish fryer to heat the metal. I had red hot metal flying all over my garage, it's a miracle that I didn't burn my house down! Several of y'all have posted pictures of your shops which gives others a lot of good ideas and I was wondering if some of you would be willing to post pictures of their setups for forging iron mounts. I need to get set up properly to do this kind of work without taking a trip to the poorhouse. I'd also like to hear any pros and cons concerning gas vs. coal for a forge. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Re: forging iron mounts
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 01:02:39 AM »
Chuck, For gun parts, which I consider small pieces, I prefer a small gas forge.  The main reasons are quicker heating, steady heat, and you won't burn up small items like a coal forge will do.  The one I use is kind of a home made job I bought on ebay, that's made from an old freon tank with two jets.  It makes a little over 1200 degrees and will let me do everything I need to do, include brazing.  Search under blacksmith on fleabay.  think it was under $200, and included instructions, and regulator.  I also use coal for bigger stuff, but it takes more work, and practice, and coal can be a problem to get in some areas. 

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 01:25:59 AM »
Chuck,
Here's my set up.  I don't consider it to be ideal but it works for me and the way I do things.  My situation requires everything to be where I can move it in and out of the garage when needed.  I'd like to have a permanent set up and maybe I will someday.  Heck it took me years to get to this point.  Started with a propane bottle, graduated to Mapp gas, then a charcoal grill forge that would heat enough to bend and temper parts but not forge weld.  Thought I was really up town when I added one of the little mapp/oxy set ups.  Still use that a lot to braze stuff.  Ran across the little forge and would drag that in and out of the garage until I got smart and added the wheels.  Everything is where I can roll it or get a dolly under it.  
Most everything you see pictures is scrap or salvage from somewhere.  

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/Packdog1/Forge/IMG_0366.jpg[/img]]

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/Packdog1/Forge/IMG_0378.jpg[/img]]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 02:17:13 AM by Dennis Glazener »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 01:45:42 AM »
C'mon down to Corn Patch, Chuck.  Might even have a pot & tuyere to give you.  Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline bgf

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 01:49:25 AM »
Also, try your local craigslist's farm and garden section if you live in an area with many horses.  Farriers use neat little portable gas forges that should do any mount you want.   My brother worked several years as a farrier (he still shoes a small number for himself and friends) and has a gas one.  He and I built a coal forge also, but unless you really need it, the hassle is much higher than using gas.  On the other hand, with the coal forge you will be forced to set aside a bigger block of time and to plan what you want to do more carefully, which can be a good thing.  Finally, either one should be fairly easy to build, so don't rule that out.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 02:13:44 AM »
The Bookster has a rightious set up in Corn Patch.  I believe she's called the Yeller Tom Cat Forge.  Be sure to take plenty of Moon Pies when you go.   That's Bookie out front of the shop.  Me beating on a piece of iron. 

« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 02:16:00 AM by Ken Guy »

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 03:18:49 AM »
Ken,
That is a great set-up you have.  The use of the hand truck to move things around is genius.
Moon pies!  Those must be the universal fuel of ML gunsmiths.  One of my chief responsibilities the summer I swept floors as a summer interpreter at the CW gunsmith shop was to hop my bike and fetch snacks...Moon Pies and Dr. Peppers!
Larry Luck

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 03:44:02 AM »
Chuck, if you take Bookie up on his offer, I'll throw in a handcrank blower, you just have to pay shipping.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

chuck c.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 04:21:48 AM »
This is the kind of ideas I needed, thanks very much. Ken, your ingenuity always amazes me! When I see all the great work you keep turning out I always wonder how you find time for your real job. Bill, I'd love to take Bookie up on his offer. I've always been impressed by his talent, just being a fly on the wall in his shop would be worth the trip!

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 05:07:27 AM »
Awww, man.  Larry, you had all the luck (pun intended) and I'm certainly impressed.  You actually got a job that paid you in Moon Pies!!  I'd die and think I was to heaven fer a job like that.  You really got my attention with that post.  Cheers, Bookie
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

R.W.D.

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 05:49:45 AM »
Never heard of the Yeller Tom Cat Forge Lodge before.  Must be tough to hold a meeting in there and by the way I think your alter is on fire. LOL 
I'm still using propane and mapp gas but I have a friend who has a small welding shop for all my other needs. Some day I hope to have a better set up.  I mostly use mild sheet steel that I can form cold on one of many wooden forms.  Beat on it with a hammer a little bit to give it the forged look.  Works for me so far, a poor man has poor ways.

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 02:34:31 PM »
 Man, you guys are way to organized, everything right were you need it ;D

Tim C.

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 06:49:09 PM »
R.W.D., did you realize you had dual membership and no yearly dues charged? :D  You're invited over, too, so drop by someday.  My apprentice, Hiram, will show you around. Cheers, Bookie
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

chuck c.

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 08:03:17 PM »
Bookie, you don't know how much I'd like to take you up on your offer to drop by. Unfortunately from where I live, I can ride hard for 12 hours, get some rest, wake up, and !@*%&@ if I still won't be in Texas! If I was to keep on going to Iowa, this old man would start to be concerned that I just might drop off the edge of the earth. I'm pretty sure it ends somewhere just North of Texas, but having never gone that far I can't say for sure! Bill thank you too for your kind offer that was very generous of you! I'd certainly consider paying anyone a fair price for anything that might be useful to me. Thanks again for all of the information.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 03:47:38 AM »
Chuck,
Takes me 13 hours one way to get there.  Never regreted one hour of the drive. 
Ken

R.W.D.

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 05:42:44 AM »
Hey Bookie,
I'll take you up on the offer just so long as you keep the ruffians beat back. ;D
How hard is it to learn how to control/use a forge with coal. My buddies with the cowboy welding shop have a hand crank blower that belonged to their Dad and we can build the rest.  Between the three of us we have 70+ years of welding, sheet metal fab experience.  Believe it or not hand dug coal is fairly easy to get in our area of Arkansas.  A fellow that lives near us has a vein of coal on his property and sells it by the bag.  I guess around a 40 or 50 lb bag, a feed sack full anyway. Right now we're lazy and the acetylene torch is so much easier.
Stay on the square,
Ross

R.W.D.

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 09:09:53 AM »
Totally off topic: Brothers pray for me. Had to put Daddy in a rest home this week and things are getting ugly with the family.
Meet on the level,
Part on the square.
Ross

dannybb55

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 05:37:37 PM »
Coal forging is what I do best. For small parts you need less air. Don't crank the handle as much or pull the bellows lever. To really avoid burning iron, throw away the electric blower junk. Gas is way to expensive and down south it heats up the shop way too much. The much vaunted efficiency is not needed. You can use the gas forge to make all of the parts of your new coal forge though ;D. I'll get some pics of my forge and post them today as it is nice and sunny outside.
                                                     Danny

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2010, 06:30:30 PM »
Okay, okay, I know curiosity killed the cat, what is a moon pie?

Best regards

Rolfkt

J.D.

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 06:33:12 PM »
I can sympathize with you situation Ross.  We had to put my Mother in a nursing home almost 10 years ago, with a lot of sibling rivalry about where she would be, in addition to what would happen to her belongings. If your family is anything like mine, I will pray night and day for you.

AS to forging gun parts, I have found that two piece buttpieces are best done by cold forging. Quick, easy, and no heat required, but a good swage block is almost a must to get 'em right.

Tim Lively sells a forge "kit" that is set up for lump charcoal. Charcoal does have its drawbacks, but it also has some advantages.

You really don't need Lively's kit, but his page is a good example of how odds and ends can be made into a usable forge.

I couldn't find the Lively web site, but here is the same forge in a video at youtube.

God bless
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 08:44:35 PM by J.D. »

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 06:51:33 PM »
Okay, okay, I know curiosity killed the cat, what is a moon pie?

Best regards

Rolfkt

A kind of desert or sweet snack. The commercial versions are two pieces of chocolate covered sweetbread/crackers  with marshmellow sandwiched between them. My family's home-made version involves putting a marshmellow and some chocolate chips between two graham crackers (a type of mildly sweet cracker made with honey) and microwaving it until the chocolate melts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_pie
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

colonel64

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2010, 07:41:19 PM »
You can't have a MoonPie without THE proper drink to accompany it........

http://www.rccolainternational.com/about_history.aspx

dannybb55

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2010, 08:57:04 PM »
I have been meaning to post my $$350.00 forge so here goes.
                              Danny

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2010, 11:00:51 PM »
Brother Ross, sorry about your Pa.  Regardless of what I write about my methods, remember, each person does it a little different to suit himself or his own needs. Just like building a rifle.  So, as for controlling the coal in the forge, why--I don't really know no other method, so I guess it's as easy as kiss my hand.  I don't like gas as that usually removes carbon from the metal.  A coal fire can impart more carbon for you if you keep your iron in the correct level of fire [of the three distinct areas].  Worst case is having a reducing fire, unless you are wanting to thin down the metal somewhat. 
     Now, to change hats:  Not knowin' what Moon Pies is just plain terrible.  Them dee-leck-table graham cracker cookies stuffed with marshmallow and drowned in chocolate is simply scrumptious.  'Course vanilla is O.K. and the orange is sorta far third.  But for best eatin', you gotta have the mighty DOUBLE DECKER and worsh it down with a genuine "AR-uH See".  And that my friend, will make you one of them true Moon Pie aficiconados!!  Moon Pies gives you super paranormal abilities to make extry-fine rifle guns, superb engraving skills, and the ability to walk on water-as long as she's frozen. 
     Now back to the forge.  Ross, I do use large chunks of coke as the roof of the burning pile when making barrels or when using the fire for extended periods of time.  The Coke burns much hotter and holds heat extremely well and if you quench each piece when done with the fire, it will last almost for ever, it seems.  I do use soft coal from around here on occasion, but it burns pretty fast so heat control is a bit touchy, and she smokes like the dickens (so much so that the lady next door hates my guts on worsh days).  Cheers, Bookie 
P.S., Just wait 'til you get a build up of gas in the tuyre and blower duct and it decides to ignite.......... :o  heh-heh.
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2010, 02:55:55 AM »
Them gas build ups can be a little rough on your nerves.  Kind of like a howitzer going off next to your ear.    :o   ;D

Danny,
Are you using a side blower set up?