Author Topic: New Flintlock ?????  (Read 6310 times)

Al Lapp

New Flintlock ?????
« on: June 24, 2010, 07:59:06 PM »
Ordered a flintlock from the states the other day.(I live in Canada) and was told there is some kind of paperwork that they will have to fill out before the U.S. customs will let it through the border. Has anyone here run into that problem, and if so will I manage to see my gun sometime soon ? thanks for any input. -----Al

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
Re: New Flintlock ?????
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 08:06:42 PM »
Al, contact the BATF. They should be able to give you the correct information.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Al Lapp

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 08:24:47 PM »
Waksupi.  Thank for the info. I am going to wait till I hear from the sellers as whatever is has to be done is needed on their end. I was thinking that possibly someone here might have run into this before and give me an idea what kind of wait was involved.    ---  Al

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 05:05:59 PM »
I didn't have to fill out any paper work for the flinter I got from Jim Chambers - maybe he did, but flinters up here are non-guns- don't have to be registered & therefore have no special requriements.
As far as I know, US customs does not touch any shipments of anything coming North - it will stop in Canada Customs then come right through to you.
Same as driving across the border - you stop at the customs office of the country you are entering.
There may be some new laws in place that I don't know about.
Taylor has no difficulty receiving and sending ML's back and forth across the border.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 07:27:55 PM »
I have never heard of anything like that. If a flintlock, there are no such restrictions that I know of. Maybe the sellers are being a little too "carefull" . All my dealings have been through US Postal Service. Box it and ship it. No trouble. It comes straight through.Now...of course the Government will want to know value etc so they can charge you the proper duties, GST etc  ;D

Al Lapp

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 02:19:14 AM »
I have to agree with Daryl and Bob. I can't see why there would be a problem especially it being a flintlock. I will wait until next week and get back to them as my main concern is the strength of the canadian dollar when they finally run it through my Visa. I was told they would not charge it to my Visa until they were ready to ship.   Have a great Day ----- Al

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 03:35:42 PM »
Shouldn't be any problems, Al.  Hope you like it.  Flinters are fun.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 11:58:09 PM »
To Canada just don't ship UPS, use the Post Office.  UPS will get you for all kinds of extra handling fees.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Al Lapp

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 12:35:40 AM »
Bill;
  Thanks for the heads up on UPS. I have had dealings with them before. I already told the people to ship by good old USPS.  --- Al

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 01:56:10 AM »
I had forgotten to worn about the infamous UPS Canada - good catch Bill.  No CANADIAN should NEVER have anything to do with UPS Canada. One Canadian customs officer told me that UPS Canada barely acted within the law, that if they got ahold of shipping manifest, no matter where or from whom they got if from, they'd send all people on the list a bill for brokerage fees up to 33% of the value of the goods involved. If the Us suplier sends it UPS in the States, it will be transferred to UPS Canada and you will be charge up to 33% of the value of the gun for them acting as your Broker - which is BS.  Private citizens don't need brokers to clean custonms, only bigger businesses who use that brokers and charge those fees on top of their costs and markup.

USPS goes to Canada Post and straight to you.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:04:13 AM by Daryl »

msw

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 02:25:51 PM »
Daryl- thanks for the 'heads up!'  That's usurious and outrageous, unfair and downright greedy!  (and a bunch of other stuff i'm probably not allowed to put in print.

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 03:56:21 PM »
Just so's ya know.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 05:37:55 PM »
I had forgotten to worn about the infamous UPS Canada - good catch Bill.  No CANADIAN should NEVER have anything to do with UPS Canada. One Canadian customs officer told me that UPS Canada barely acted within the law, that if they got ahold of shipping manifest, no matter where or from whom they got if from, they'd send all people on the list a bill for brokerage fees up to 33% of the value of the goods involved. If the Us suplier sends it UPS in the States, it will be transferred to UPS Canada and you will be charge up to 33% of the value of the gun for them acting as your Broker - which is BS.  Private citizens don't need brokers to clean custonms, only bigger businesses who use that brokers and charge those fees on top of their costs and markup.

USPS goes to Canada Post and straight to you.

In the US all handguns must be sent next day air to provide less time for UPS employees to steal them. Yeah, this from a gal who ran a couple of UPS stores.
Its impossible to ship a handgun from AK to the lower 48, at least to my town in Montana, for example, we only get 2nd day here.

When I was at Shiloh Wolf sent a Percussion Military Sharps in a box for testing (UPS was breaking guns and they wanted to test the shipping box) the box came back with a glowing report, but no rifle. Finally got it back after a complaint ::)
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 06:23:10 PM »
I've also heard as Dan noted, of problems with UPS in the States, but that seems to differ, State to State as some have shooters working in them, while others have non-shooters.  Here, it is with any shipment - any product, doesn't matter.
Friend of mine - well, not really a friend - aquaintance - received a bill from UPS Canada for brokerage fees to get his Marlin into Canada from California - bill was over $1,000.00.  He called and they said it was in their warehous in town here and they would not release it until the bill was paid.  They also said they had personally handled it in town here when it arrived.  He asked them how they got their hands on the bill of lading. They said they'd brought it to Prince George and passed it through Customs here.

The Marlin had already been mounted on his wall for over a month. He flew to Vancouver and brought it through customs himself as it was air-mailed to himself to a friend's address there. Soon as he got the call, he flew there to get it, which actually happened.

UPS Canada is an insidious outfit. Mail only- even for oversize, over weight items. Pay the extra postage - it's cheaper than UPS Canada getting their hands on it.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 04:03:39 AM »
I sent a rifle by UPS once. They took it across the border, then shipped it back to me, which meant shipping x 2 plus brokerage to get my parcel back to where it started!!!!  Over $ 160. . And, it took two months to get it back. The gun I shipped to Track went by Canada Post, on a Monday, and Track received it on the Friday. No hassle at all. Mail is the best, and safest way to send anything IMO.  Here, we even see tractor tires, etc at the Post Office.