Author Topic: Rear sights  (Read 10133 times)

Bob Rearley

Rear sights
« on: September 06, 2008, 11:10:47 PM »
I am thinking about trying my hand at  filing out a rear sight as described by  Peter Alexander.  Would o1 tool steel be ok or should I use something else?
Bob

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: Rear sights
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 11:23:43 PM »
Just a hunk of mild steel from the local welding shop will be more than sufficient.  No need for O1 or any other tool steel.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 11:45:27 PM »
Or grab an old beat up pipe wrench.  That steel being ductile etc works great. (jaws)

Hacksaw, small square misc files a good light and a couple hrs should do it.   ;D

I use the 'light trap' rear sight as described in W Buchele's book !
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 11:47:21 PM by Roger Fisher »

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 01:10:24 AM »
Like Chris said, mild steel or wroght iron will work great.  That is all I have ever used.
DMR

don getz

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 04:52:39 PM »
Maybe I should start offering some rear sight "kits".  I usually start by milling a piece of low carbon steel, 12L14, and make a strip which looks like an upside-down "T", with the base being about 1/2" long and the sight portion about 1/4"
high.  The base is usually about .100 thick, the upright portion is about the same.  I then saw off a portion wide enough
for the sight I want, then clean up the sides with a file.  I then put the sight back in the mill and, using about a 3/8" end
mill, will then mill out that little radius in front of the blade, where the sight slot goes.  I then turn the sight over and hold
the sight blade in the vise and using a dovetail cutter, will cut the angles on both ends.   After I install the sight on the
barrel I will round off the front and rear portion of the base, file a few neat notches in the front part, and it's ready to be
browned or blued, whatever..............Don

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 05:55:48 PM »
If one would rather buy a rear sight for $7.00 or less than make one for $75.00 time, TRACK offers many.  Even the solid barrel tenons will make a good rear sight. Just file off the left side of the T's top surface and file the bevels.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 09:49:50 PM »

I use a cold rolled low carbon steel for this. In fact I use low carbon for a lot of stuff. Case harden as needed.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Bob Rearley

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 10:50:42 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas guys.  Just thought it might fun to file out a sight.  Now, I might feel differently about it when I'm all done.  Guess I just like to file.  Maybe all I'll have left when I'm finished is a pile of filings.
Bob

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 03:38:40 AM »
Don Getz,

What's a mill?

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline LynnC

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 06:00:46 AM »
Milling machine - In this case a vertical milling machine - Sort of like a super heavy duty drill press with a table that moves forward and backward and side to side.  Oh - Up and down too.  Rather than drills you use end mills that cut on the ends as well as the sides.

If you have access to one, You'll wonder how you ever got along with out one.
BTW - It makes a @!*% good drill press too!..........................Lynn
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 06:02:44 AM by Lynn Cook »
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 04:05:34 PM »
Maybe I should start offering some rear sight "kits".  I usually start by milling a piece of low carbon steel, 12L14, and make a strip which looks like an upside-down "T", with the base being about 1/2" long and the sight portion about 1/4"
high.  The base is usually about .100 thick, the upright portion is about the same.  I then saw off a portion wide enough
for the sight I want, then clean up the sides with a file.  I then put the sight back in the mill and, using about a 3/8" end
mill, will then mill out that little radius in front of the blade, where the sight slot goes.  I then turn the sight over and hold
the sight blade in the vise and using a dovetail cutter, will cut the angles on both ends.   After I install the sight on the
barrel I will round off the front and rear portion of the base, file a few neat notches in the front part, and it's ready to be
browned or blued, whatever..............Don

You make it sound easy, Don!  What's quick for you might take some of us an afternoon!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 04:29:13 PM »
If one would rather buy a rear sight for $7.00 or less than make one for $75.00 time, TRACK offers many.  Even the solid barrel tenons will make a good rear sight. Just file off the left side of the T's top surface and file the bevels.

I have a favorite from Track that I use a lot. I bought all the sights for the swivel. I generally make the fronts if I am using a steel base and/or a silver blade.
I only make rears if I am in a hurry, special, can't find what I like etc.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 07:02:41 PM »
Maybe I should start offering some rear sight "kits".

Don,
Evidently someone already did this in the past.  I've got half a dozen of these which used to be offered for sale in the 70's.  Don't know who made them.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

MRW

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 11:09:55 PM »
Small piece of 3/4 by 3/4 by 1/8 angle iron works as well

eagle24

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 05:03:00 PM »
I'm new at this also Bob, and far from qualified to give much advice, but I have cut/filed a couple of rear sights from 5/8" keystock that you can get at any auto parts store.  It worked well for me.

JBlk

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 05:20:20 PM »
Roger you mentioned you use a light trap style of rear sights.What is that?

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 06:03:54 PM »
Buchele's book on building describes this sight as a 'light trap' sight whether or not it qualifies as one such I do not know!  I do wish I could post photos!!

I began using this type of sight yrs ago and they worked well for me but I made sure the rear notch was paper thin and this gave me little or no blur at the rear notch!  Have cataracts now and the sight picture is in fact now getting more blur!!

The sight is made abt 3/8 in thick and slopes towards the shooter.  A hole is drilled down thru the sight (vertical)  From which you cut the rear notch., You then cut the front notch,.  Front notch is lower than the rear notch a bit.  Top of the sight is sloped towards the muzzle.  The base is filed to normal shape and set in to the top flat in a hand cut notch.  No 2 sights are alike since it involves a couple or three hrs nutzing around with files, straight edge etc etc.  I gussie them up a little by filing notches on base ends and the sides and top corners of the sight just be be a little different!   Can't say this sight is a wonderment; but I can say I won my share of matches squinting thru it.   I use them on my offhanders and my chunk gun.   Works for me.  Maybe it's all in my head!  The neighbor lady told me that once ::)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 11:23:16 PM by Roger Fisher »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 10:11:54 PM »
Less glare, right?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 02:25:59 AM »
Less glare, right?
Yes, I think so!!  I use them on each and every rifle I stick together and have faith in them in particular when I make sure I have that sight smoked/blackened in the bright light... ;D

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 02:27:29 AM »
Less glare, right?
Yes, but I still make sure the notch is well smoked!!! ;D

JBlk

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 04:56:31 PM »
Roger,thanks for you description of the light gathering sight.That sounds like the sight that Ithica used on their muzzle loaders.