Author Topic: ? Remove lock to clean Flintlock or not?  (Read 14264 times)

Offline T.O.

? Remove lock to clean Flintlock or not?
« on: June 28, 2010, 04:14:44 AM »
I got the barrel really clean inside and out, and oiled up after each shooting.  I cleaned the lock outside by wiping, brushing and then oiling.  I was wondering when /if the lock should be removed?

Scott Semmel

Re: ? Remove lock to clean Flintlock or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 05:20:55 AM »
I remove and clean the lock every time I clean the gun, scrub it with a small brush rinse, dry, and lube.

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 06:13:54 AM »
I remove the lock also.  Gets it out of the way so I can stuff a paper towel into the lock mortise to catch drips from the touchhole.   And,  I usually find some powder residue in the lock, so it needs to be cleaned, dried (10 minutes in a toaster oven at 200 deg), and oiled.

BrownBear

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 07:27:27 AM »
I'm in wet country, and I always remove the lock- wet weather or dry.  Even on misty days water beads on the barrel and runs down into the lock works.  Sad state of affairs if I don't remove the lock for cleaning.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 02:15:04 PM »
Everytime.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline T.O.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 02:35:26 PM »
I am glad I asked.  I went ahead and removed it, cleaned it and oiled it up.    It was much easier than I thought it would be. 

msw

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 02:44:06 PM »
yes- you are doing the right thing.  if left unattended, the inner works of a lock can do some gnarly things.

take care of the tools and they'll take care of you.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 06:40:39 PM »
Everytime.
Every other time maybe!!  If your rifle has a 'gap' between the lock bolster and the side flat that leaks some powder down in to the mortice you then best take her off and clean her up for reasons that should be obvious... ;D

billd

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 07:05:28 PM »
Keep in mind when Roger says every other time he's talking every other day. His guns don't sit long enough to rust.

Bill

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 07:21:29 PM »
We remove the lock AND barrel for cleaning- pins or wedges - doesn't matter.

Offline T.O.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 04:04:54 AM »
Thanks again.  Does anyone use the flushing tube that covers the touch hole?

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 06:22:11 AM »
I always clean my lock when I clean my rifle.  I find it easier to clean the outer parts of the lock while holding it in my hand and scrubbing it with a soft toothbrush, and since I have it out I figure it ain't going to hurt cleaning the inside of the lock as well.

I've never used a flush tube, I really never saw any reason to.  You can plug your touch hole with a toothpick and fill your bore with water or your cleaning fluid- let it set a few minutes - then pull the toothpick (make sure the rifle is slanted so the liquid from the bore doesn't run down your stock or into your lock mortise - and flush the bore with a patch on your jag.

Also, a handy tool to have if you don't already is a "Patch Puller"...  I have never used mine to pull a patch but it works great to put cotton balls on the end of to dry out the face of the breech area.  Also pipe cleaners work great to run in and out of the touch hole. 

While you're at it keep a box of q-tips on hand for cleaning those hard to get to areas of the lock, and for placing a dab of oil here and there where needed after everything is dry of course.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 05:03:48 PM »
We remove the lock AND barrel for cleaning- pins or wedges - doesn't matter.
Boy our Canadian Brothers have a lot of ambition of course could be they are younger than most Yankees (oh yeah and cooler weather...) ;D

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 05:24:45 PM »
I don't know about cooler weather - got up to over 70 yesterday! Any time you can't wear a sweater or light jacket is getting uncomfortable for me.  I do liek the sunshine - but only in other places than where I am at the time.  Just kidding - I put up with the heat at Hefley Creek Rondy by simply just wearing my 'clout'. How's THAT for a mind bending picture?

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 06:07:06 PM »
You have to take the lock off to clean it.   Here's how I do it (at home)...   Put the teakettle on the stove and get the water
hot.    Hold the lock over the sink and pour boiling water over the pan, the bottom of the frizzen and the cock and flint....
the hot water cleans it immediately, and with it being hot, will dry and evaporate almost immediately.   I then spray it with
WD-40, wipe off the excess and put it back into the gun.   I do disagree with Daryl about removing the barrel every time
to clean, but, on the other hand, if he want's to do it, so be it.   I just don't think it is necessary.   I have never done it, and don"t have rusting problems.....it just is no problem to clean a flint gun without removing it from the gun..........Don

Leatherbelly

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 06:19:13 PM »
  Daryls,
    Who's WE?

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 06:31:19 PM »
We - Taylor, Len and I. Sorry if you thought you were included.  ;D

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 08:57:50 PM »
Thanks again.  Does anyone use the flushing tube that covers the touch hole?

I finally bought one to clean the swivel breech and like it.
Some soapy water first then finish with clear water after the fouling is gone as a rinse.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 11:06:22 PM »
I sure can't see removing the barrel every time. I put a heavy coat of Johnson's Paste Wax on the barrel channel and barrel, and assemble. I don't need to pull down a gun very often doing this. I've also used a thin coat of beeswax.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 04:47:39 AM »
I don't know about cooler weather - got up to over 70 yesterday! Any time you can't wear a sweater or light jacket is getting uncomfortable for me.  I do liek the sunshine - but only in other places than where I am at the time.  Just kidding - I put up with the heat at Hefley Creek Rondy by simply just wearing my 'clout'. How's THAT for a mind bending picture?
92 degrees and shooting for 3 days (well 2 1/2) and  climbing 3 fairly high mountains to 3 different Mt walks plus the main range. last weekend near Clarion Pa. so the old bores got oiled and that was it til Monday night when I had enough pep to clean the rifle and smoothy properly.! ::)  Works for me and the barrels stay in the wood.... ;D

Offline T.O.

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 04:59:51 AM »
Once again, thanks I am learning from all the advice.  I am leaning towards the leave the barrel in the wood side of the fence.  I am a butcher when it comes to gun smithing, I know my limits.  I do see the benefit of the 1 or twice a year check up, where I would pull the barrel and wax the bottom side.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 06:42:41 AM »
Clean the barrel every time, but the locks about every month or so.  That said I have one rifle I do every time.  Let me explain.  I seal my lock pans to the barrel with a clump of bee's wax, and I don't get fowling, and junk behind the locks.  The one I do clean is an 1830 original, and though I seal it, it just seems to get stuff in the internals, thus requiring a full cleaning.  Also most of the time we have low humidity most of the time.  That little strip of wax does wonders in keeping the lock clean.  I also use a molibdium Disulfide grease to lube sparingly, so it doesn't dry out.  The outside is cleaned, and lubed thoroughly though.  I shoot three to four flints, plus AR's, 1911's, 03's, Garand's, and lots of other guns multiple time weekly, I end up spending probably four to six hours cleaning, so have streamlined my processes, for maximum clean in minimum time. 

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Rich

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 09:09:07 AM »
I remove the lock every time but never remove the pinned barrel. I plug the vent with a toothpick and either stick an earplug in the sear hole in the lock mortice or jam a paper towel in the lock mortice to keep any water from dripping into the hole and thus the trigger. After the barrel soaks a bit, I flush the water out with a patch on the rod. I shoots out the vent about 20 feet.

Birddog6

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 01:26:48 PM »
I always take the lock off & clean any fouling off it. after cleaning, spray it down totally with Ballistol aerosol, dab dry & put back on the rifle. I clean with a flushing tube attachment & have done so for over ? 30 years, & long before they were mass produced & sold.   It does a good spick & span cleaning job.   ;)
Only time I would take a barrel of is if I have a serious problem. My barrel channel wood is sealed & the bottom of the barrel greased when I put it together &  I hope I nave have to take it out. If I hunt in inclimate weather I take some patch grease & insure the barrel channel is sealed.

Keith Lisle

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 02:46:54 PM »
I, too, remove the lock every time I clean the rifle (which is every time I shoot it - no going to bed until the rifle-gun is cleaned and tucked-in for the night).  I find that when I remove the lock there are no nooks and crannies where fouling can accumulate.  I clean the lock with Windex soaked patches, WD-40 it and then wipe it down with a pache soaked in bear-oil.

I don't do the tooth-pick in the vent routine.  I have had to repair the finish on too many guns where the tooth-pick leaked.  I just lay the rifle down on a pad upon the table with the vent pointing down.  I put a wad of paper towels under the vent.  I clean the rifle in the horizontal position.  Any water dripping out the vent goes down onto the paper towels.  I use cool water, a bristle brush, and a William Slusser breach-face brush to get most of the fouling out.  Then I use water-soaked patches on a jag until they come out clean.  As I run the patches down the barrel I can hear the water spurt out the vent.   Once teh patches are coming out clean I switch to dry patches until they com out dry.  The I use the WD-40 soaked patches followed by a patch well oiled with bear-oil.

So far the results have been good.

Best Regards,

JMC