Author Topic: 1000 yd BP shoot, Grayling, MI  (Read 7725 times)

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
1000 yd BP shoot, Grayling, MI
« on: June 28, 2010, 04:26:57 PM »
I attended my 1st 1000 yd BP shoot @ Grayling this past weekend. Man, I never knew how far 1000 yds looked thru a peep sight. It was an interesting affair. All I can say is even the best shooters can not claim a 6 foot group at 1000 yards.

Offline RonT

Re: 1000 yd BP shoot, Grayling, MI
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 04:57:34 PM »
Wow, would have liked to seen the range.  Was at Rayburn Lodge for a bamboo rodmakers gathering (Grayrock 10') and had some time to kill.  Heard some night fire exercises Sat. night though....
R
Spes Mea in Deo Est

DEADDAWG

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 05:06:43 PM »
Grayling is a difficult range to shoot at under ideal conditions. The surrounding terrain makes for interesting wind currents and the shallow depression out past 400 yds can really screw with your shot. I spent a lot of time shooting/practicing High Power there when I was stationed at Wurtsmith ('78 to '80). Add to that the less than ideal weather this past weekend, I'm surprized they even found the target.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 07:26:15 PM »
They called the shoot Sunday morning but got 3 relays in Saturday. Highest score I saw was 330-ish (15 shot relay x 3 = 450 max.). I'd say that was excellent for conditions and the distance. Only 15 shooters present.

g.pennell

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 04:29:35 AM »
Keb,

I've never had a chance to get up to Grayling, but my partner and I do make the 10-hour haul from Kentucky to the A.P. Goodrich Range in Alma to shoot cartridge rifle silhouettes with the Michigan guys every July.  Great bunch of guys, and a beautiful range.  Matter of fact, I just finished casting bullets for that match!

Greg

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 03:13:49 PM »
Greg,

I am planning on going to the Regionals at Grayling Aug 21-22.  I'm only about 25 miles from there so I can sleep in my own bed.

I'm thinking of getting a Gibbs muzzle loader. Would you happen to know where a fella could find one?

Keb

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 03:24:53 PM »
Keb, where you located, I'm in Gaylord, less than 20 minutes from the Camp, get to listen to the Artillary all summer, and we shoot every Wednesday night, though not long range.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

g.pennell

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 05:08:23 AM »
Keb,

I've seen and handled one of the Pedersoli Gibbs, and it looked OK.  If I was to get one (long range M/L), I think I'd get a Green Mountain cartridge rifle barrel blank, install a breechplug/hooked breech, and have at it.  I'm sure I could build a nicer one  ;).  Track has all the stuff you need, except a decent piece of English walnut for a stock.

Greg

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 12:57:20 PM »
Keb, where you located, I'm in Gaylord, less than 20 minutes from the Camp, get to listen to the Artillary all summer, and we shoot every Wednesday night, though not long range.

Bill
Bill, I live in Prudenville. I believe I'm around 25 miles from Grayling. Where do you shoot on Wednesdays?

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 04:03:10 PM »
Keb, I'm at the Northland Sportsmens Club in Gaylord.  I sent an email to someone in Houghton lake about our tims, with an invitation, to see about the two clubs getting together for a fun shoot or some such thing.  We only have six or so shooters at present.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline bigbat

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 04:34:55 PM »
With the altitude and clear air 1000 yards doesnt seem so far until you shoot at hose distances.  I can see the 1000 yard buffalo at our range from my front porch and I am 2 miles from the range.  I once went to a cannon shoot a Grayling. I was impressed.  Pruendenville, theres a name I remember.  ex Michigander

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 04:52:06 PM »
I've seen and handled one of the Pedersoli Gibbs, and it looked OK.

You say they look OK and you could build a nicer one, but looks are not the measure of these rifles.  The Gibbs is a copy of an original Gibbs, so you can't improve on classic lines.

They are better than OK.  The Gibbs is a world class rifle out of the box.  It provides new shooters an opportunity to become involved in LRML without the expense of a custom or original rifle, and has brought a fresh influx of new shooters to the sport worldwide.  They also provide the proper bullet mold.  They also have a proprietary method to produce tapered rifling, larger at the breech, which allows the bullet to bump up for a tighter fit at the muzzle as it exits.  It is the most widely used rifle in international shooting and has claimed numerous gold medals and new records.  Having said all that, I can't shoot one because of fitment.  My neck is too long and I have to raise the butt up to the point where half of the butt is above my shoulder, with resulting recoil pain.

It may fall from grace however.  Two of its biggest supporters have passed away in the space of two weeks.  Dick Trenk was the USA rep for Pedersoli and was responsible for the sponsorship of many LR events.  He also provided a Gibbs, bullets, and powder free of charge at numerous events, so new shooters could have the opportunity to try one out.  He also sponsored a special match that enabled those shooters to win a new rifle.

Joe Hepsworth was the captain of the International team and heavily promoted LRML.  He sold all the Pedersoli accessories and sold a Gibbs package which included a platinum nipple at prices less than other retailers.  He also carried a full line of high grade sights, paper patched bullets and other stuff for the shooter who wanted to upgrade his rifle.

If I was to get one (long range M/L), I think I'd get a Green Mountain cartridge rifle barrel blank, install a breechplug/hooked breech, and have at it.  I'm sure I could build a nicer one  .  Track has all the stuff you need, except a decent piece of English walnut for a stock.

You might also find that problematic.  While Track has a lot of stuff, it doesn't always fit together properly.  Believe me, I've been thru it several times.  It's very hard to build a "proper" English LRML from Track's parts, and it's an advanced project.  They are complex in their simplicity.  Since Don Brown passed on, there are no longer any sets of components offered to build a proper gun.  Track's breeches are problematic.  I have a Rigby in the shop now.  The guy spent several thousand dollars in wood, components, a Badger barrel, and special machining to recreate the Rigby barrel profile, using a Track breech.  However, he chose the wrong lock and drip bar resulting in the whole project ending up as trash.  I'm waiting for the go ahead to start over and restock the gun with the right parts.  Besides this gun, I now have 4 LRML's in the pipeline and I will build no more after them.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 05:54:06 PM »
TOF - is the riflingin the Gibb's deeper at the breech and shallower at the muzzle as in the military rifles of the 1850's and 60's, or is the bore itself tapered as was dont by custom gun makers in the States in the 70's and 80's?
US military .58's also had the tapered depth rifling, but only the British replicas (Parker Hale and Italian) have this feature,while the zouaves, etc, have uniform depth rifling.