Author Topic: patch lube  (Read 10016 times)

omark

patch lube
« on: June 28, 2010, 10:20:11 PM »
been wondering how you guys carry your prelubed patches when saturated with an oil such as bear. do you use bullet boards or pre cut patches in the patch box, or how??    thanks in advance  mark

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: patch lube
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 12:49:57 AM »
When I shoot a trail, I carry precut (disc) patches soaked with lube, in a hinged rectangular candy tin.  The tin once empty, goes into the BBQ until the paint is burnt off, then steel wooled and oiled.
When hunting, I carry four precut patches and balls in a bullet board, or loading block, with a further supply in the bag.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

brewyak

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 12:50:49 AM »
a small round tin works well, and if you are not worried about being PC a small ziplock
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 03:17:46 AM by brewyak »

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 01:18:26 AM »
At the range, it's spit.  On a hunt, I carry pre-cut, pre-lubed patches in an old round percussion cap tin, aged ala Taylor's method.

What's a diplock?  ???  

-Ron
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 01:19:43 AM by KyFlinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

omark

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 02:05:09 AM »
yeah!!  whats a diplock??   been called something similar, but never that.   mark

brewyak

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 03:18:27 AM »
fixed it ment ziplock

billd

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 03:39:14 AM »
I use one of the plastic cases those cheap ear plugs come in.  They snap shut and have a hinged lid.  I've left them in my bag for a whole season and the patches didn't dry out.   Never leaked either.  We throw them away at work.  You could put the container in a diplock bag for extra protection.

Bill

Leatherbelly

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 06:49:58 AM »
 I had a ziplock I made for a zip gun once!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 06:51:44 AM by Leatherbelly »

tuffy

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 08:15:18 AM »
I go down to the pharmacy at Wally World and get free plastic pill bottles. They'll normally give you as many as you need (within reason) and they are perfect for carrying patches all year and never drying out. :o ;D

willyr

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 04:02:23 PM »
Okay, here's an original idea. I carry pre-lubed patches for hunting and trailwalks in............... THE PATCHBOX ON MY RIFLE! Patches are lubed with olive oil.
Be Well,
Bill

brewyak

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 04:07:54 PM »
wow the patchbox aye?  How profound

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 05:07:05 PM »
Patching strip tucked under my belt (1 hand access) and spit on the Mt walks...

Hunting (we'll see if any deer left around here) bear grease patched balls in a 3 holer board ;D

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 02:40:32 AM »
When I shoot a trail, I carry precut (disc) patches soaked with lube, in a hinged rectangular candy tin.  The tin once empty, goes into the BBQ until the paint is burnt off, then steel wooled and oiled.
When hunting, I carry four precut patches and balls in a bullet board, or loading block, with a further supply in the bag.

Sucretes (throat lozenge) tin, paint burnt off. Have a number of them some still with paint.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 04:05:59 AM »
The small hinged tins work well as Taylor and Dan indicated. I also use a couple I bought from Track- hindged eye-glass case (or tinder case) and a flint and steel hinged lit case. Like them both.

Offline sonny

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 04:42:22 PM »
when i go to a woodswalk with my precut patchs with lube,i hang them off my bag strap down low by the horn.I take a coat needle an some linnen thread.Tie a knot in the other end,an push the stacked precoated patches centered on the needle until the whole stack is down to the knot.I then make two small holes in the strap on my bag an stitch the whole lump of patches on top of strap up close so they do not hang from the strap.When i pour my main charge,i then roll a ball from my leather ball holder(located on a leather strip stitched to back of ball bag)which is buttoned on front of pouch flap,pull a pre greased patch off the string over the small knot an you are all set.Darn thing works great!...........sonny

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 05:26:30 PM »
when i go to a woodswalk with my precut patchs with lube,i hang them off my bag strap down low by the horn.I take a coat needle an some linnen thread.Tie a knot in the other end,an push the stacked precoated patches centered on the needle until the whole stack is down to the knot.I then make two small holes in the strap on my bag an stitch the whole lump of patches on top of strap up close so they do not hang from the strap.When i pour my main charge,i then roll a ball from my leather ball holder(located on a leather strip stitched to back of ball bag)which is buttoned on front of pouch flap,pull a pre greased patch off the string over the small knot an you are all set.Darn thing works great!...........sonny
I've seen similar at times.   Maybe you could bring that setup along down to our shoot sometime ???    Orrrrr maybe to Harvey's Lake (3rd Sunday in July???)

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 12:15:56 AM »
Okay, here's an original idea. I carry pre-lubed patches for hunting and trailwalks in............... THE PATCHBOX ON MY RIFLE! Patches are lubed with olive oil.
Be Well,
Bill
As I read this thread I was truly amazed at all the modern solutions to a nonexistent problem. Use the patchbox! I have used nothing else for 40+ years. It is fast, period correct, and means one less thing to mess with.

I often carry two stacks in mine--one pre-greased and one dry for spit patches.
Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 01:46:29 AM »
Be Well,
Bill

Brilliant! ;D

Now im off to have another 1759.....

Offline bgf

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 10:52:28 PM »
Talk about motivation: My patchbox lid is currently held closed by a screw -- I opened it up after 6 months to see if everything looked like it did when I put the lid on (hoping for a Snickers bar, I suppose) :), but I'm really thinking about how to put a proper latch on there now.    Need to look around for some pictures of the simple sprung hook type -- seems like someone said they can be made from a nail.