Author Topic: prob more then I can chew  (Read 3974 times)

ottawa

prob more then I can chew
« on: June 30, 2010, 01:26:54 AM »
just found a place close by me to get green hides buffalo and cow hides but you have to tan them your self a buff hide is $25 and a cow is $35 so a friend is going to pick me up a couple cow hides to try my hand . the reason for the buff being cheaper is the hair is a lot harder to remove but heck if I tan any of those they will be made into robes but first things first see if I can make leather first or just a big smelly mess :D

omark

Re: prob more then I can chew
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 01:41:41 AM »
just like eating an elephant,,,,,,,, one bite at a time :D  mark

Ole Doc

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 03:33:24 AM »
wood ash take the hair right off the hide for ya

do not process the hides in any metal containers
use wood ,concrete or plastic.

Alum will go a long way too preserve ...

ottawa

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 04:13:59 PM »
well 9pounds of salt and 4 days drying getting ready to scrape flesh side oh yeah I stretched it befor I dryed it

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 05:33:29 PM »
Think about having it done.  There are tanneries in the Johnstown/Gloversville area of the Mohawk valley in NY state that will do it professionally and you will come out ahead with a perfectly tanned piece.
Andover, Vermont

g.pennell

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 02:41:16 AM »
As a "reformed" home-tanner, I've only got a couple of words on the subject...Never Again!  ;)  Seriously, it's a LOT of HARD work, and even when everything goes right, you still don't have the same quality of leather that a commercial tanner can do for you.  The only exception being brain tanning...still a lot of work, but it can be done quite well at home.

Just my tuppence-worth.

Greg

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 05:27:07 AM »
Good Luck and More Power to ya! I do allot of trapping and have tried my hand at home tanning several time with several different types of hides......Very high on my list of things I'm willing to pay someone else to do! But it can be a great education. Have fun. ;) 

ottawa

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 03:55:48 PM »
a lot of work is putting it lightly but its something I haven't done yet or probably will do again its more like a challenge put out by a fellow solider to see if I could do it. if I can then he said he is going to try it cant wait to tell him how simple and easy it is  ;D . heck he even payed for the hide .