Author Topic: Help With KY Identification?  (Read 4346 times)

otisrush

Help With KY Identification?
« on: June 30, 2010, 06:40:29 AM »
Admin Addendum - Contributed by a Friend of the Library and a direct quote:

"Above info should cover this fine gun. I'd certainly be proud to own.
XXX"

Baum, Samuel  ( -1842). gunsmith. 1789-1840, New Berlin, Union County.  Before 1802 New Berlin was in Northumberland County.  In 1821 there was a Samuel Baum in Mahoning Township, Columbia County  [tax; Juniata and Susquehanna Valleys, II, 1407; Gardner, Small Arms Makers, p. 14; Battle, Montour County, p. 93].  In 1829 Baum's name was crossed off the tax list of New Berlin.  His will was probated in 1842 and named sons Charles, Samuel, Jacob, Henry and Edward; and daughters Elizabeth, Mary, Margaret, Rachel, Louisa Ann and Susan Jane [Union County Will 16-W-1842].

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's my first time here.  I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

My dad has a KY rifle and I'd appreciate any help or pointers to books/info or other tips in getting this identified.  The "lore" he always told me was, based on the "S B" engraved on the barrel, he wondered whether it was connected to Samuel Boone or Squire Boone.  He hasn't done any serious research - and now with the internet - I'm wondering if it might be easier to track down some sort of answer as to the origins of this piece.

I've included some pictures below.  I don't have any full-length photos.  If they're needed I can certainly add.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 03:01:18 PM by nord »

California Kid

Re: Help With KY Identification?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 07:39:07 AM »
Looks like Sam Baum. Check out the museum, there area couple examples there.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 01:41:03 PM »
Welcome to ALR Otis!!

Look here as california suggests:  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=141.0
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

otisrush

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 02:24:32 PM »
Thanks a million!  I appreciate the information.  The internet continues to amaze me.  This piece has been in the family for many years and we've never really known anything about it.  In less than 2 hours it's identified and I've gotten pointers to more info.

Thanks again for the time and info.

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 03:27:13 PM »
Great patchbox, is there any carving on the cheek piece side?  Please post more pictures.  :D

Offline gusd

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 04:32:20 PM »
Otis, could you post a picture with patch box open?
thanks gus

otisrush

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 03:33:50 PM »
Here are a few more pics.

I tried to open the patch box but couldn't.  I haven't been around this type/age of gun enough to know how much force is too much to attempt.  The latch moves but I reached my force comfort level before the latch would actually open.   :)

One pic is of a fix that was made to (in modern guns I'd call it the forearm or forestock - not sure what the right term is in this antique gun world).  The wood patterns obviously don't match.  Not sure if it's possible to tell how fresh or old this patch is.  Maybe it doesn't matter.  This was acquired about 50 years ago  - and I know it wasn't done in that timeframe.

I think these guns prove the fact that folks who used them had to lift weights.  My gosh how did they shoot halfway accurately with barrels that long and that heavy?!

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 05:00:03 PM »
Wow, what a neat gun.    Those extra pictures sure point it that way.  Appears to have the typical Baum trigger guard,
as well as other features shown,...moon, brass wear plate on the cheek piece, the carving,....everything just looks right.
Since were looking at a Samuel Baum here, wait until you see the gun that is now being built for the CLA for 2011....by
Allen Martin, Mark Wheland, and Art DeCamp.....It will knock your socks off.................Don

Levy

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 05:53:36 PM »
Is it just me guys or does the lock look like a replacement with filler around the edges.  It's a very handsome rifle none the less.

James Levy