Author Topic: Tennesee  (Read 6145 times)

msmith

Tennesee
« on: September 12, 2008, 05:09:06 AM »
If anyone is interested there is a Tennesee Rifle on Collectorsfirearms. Has an 48 inch barrel 50 cal.It looks pretty nice.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: Tennesee
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 03:18:22 PM »
That looks like a nice old piece - what a barrel! Here is the link:

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=23688

It looks like it might have been flint at one time, but perhaps the lock was completely replaced - that plate looks like it has always been percussion.  Hard to tell.

Ken/Dennis/Sam/Roger- "AD" = Alfred Duncan perhaps?  I've not seen a Duncan with the rounded cheekpiece like that.

Neat old gun.

Guy

Evil Monkey

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 04:38:59 PM »
Very nice. The notch in the lock panel for a flintcock would certainly suggest a conversion. Not sure what the seller means by "Very good wood and there are no cracks or breaks anywhere in the wood." when he then posts pictures clearly showing several "cracks and breaks"???

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 04:49:23 PM »
Very nice. The notch in the lock panel for a flintcock would certainly suggest a conversion. Not sure what the seller means by "Very good wood and there are no cracks or breaks anywhere in the wood." when he then posts pictures clearly showing several "cracks and breaks"???

Or it could be the hammer of a no bridal perc lock rubbing on the wood.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Sam Everly

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 04:56:55 PM »
I would say that lock has always been in that gun , it fits to good . I would bet that is a restock from a older rifles parts . It could be ( Restock) from around the late 1880's even to the early 1900's . I love the wood ,that kind of leads me to the restock . That gun has X-center matches all over it ,I could see it still going strong in the 1930's and 40's

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 04:58:17 PM »
Do you think it's a Duncan barrel Sam?

Offline halfstock

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 07:10:31 PM »
Don't know who made it but that is an H E Lehman lock.

Halfstock

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 11:20:17 PM »
Personally I think something like that would only go for a third of what they are asking.  I like the line on the rifle but something tells me that it is possibly a "parts gun" made sometime in the 1880 -1910 period. 
On a side note, I really like that beaver tail cheek piece on a southern rifle.  If I ever decide to make another one I may have to copy it.
                                                                     Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 01:47:05 AM »
Just got in from being out of town and saw this rifle. Interesting but
Very good wood and there are no cracks or breaks anywhere in the wood.
WOW would love to sell him a few rifles.

I have no clue to who might have made it but on page 34 of Whisker's "Gunsmiths of West Virginia" there is a photo of a half stock made by Alexander Dulaney of West VA that has a cheek rest very similar to the one on this rifle. Nothing else on the rifle resembles this one.

Whisker says Alexander Dulaney was born in 1857 and was a gunsmith c. 1900 in Maud, Wetzel Co West VA his father in PA his mother in MD and his wife in Ohio. With a wide spread family like that, he may have lived in TN at one time or other! No mention of how/if he signed his rifles.

None of my other "southern" books show anything  that might be signed "A  D" that looks anything like this rifle.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Carper

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 04:16:19 PM »
That cheekpiece was very common on rifles built in sw Virginia and sothern WV late,late. I'd be my hat (and its a stetson) that rifle was made somewhere between Bristol,Va and Beckley,WV in the early 1900's. You may be right the barrel,etc may be from a older gun. Lots of guns around here have that exactly slighty more rounded and flowing lines than the E. Tenn rifles you usually see. Notice how the wrist and stock have a rounded look instead of the flatter sides, that screams WV to me. I have a  silver mounted rifle that would pass for  that rifle from the comb back made in 1870's. in Raleigh Co. WV. But give a salute to the blacksmith that made that triggerguard!!!!    Johnny