Author Topic: Ramrod  (Read 5795 times)

Bob Rearley

Ramrod
« on: July 03, 2010, 09:58:45 PM »
I'm finishing up a pistol with walnut stock.  How should I finish the hickory ramrod?  Also, I'm thinking of finishing the stock with garnet shelac.  Any thoughts appreciated.  Happy 4th of July to everyone to everyone and be safe.
Bob

Offline BJH

Re: Ramrod
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 06:12:15 PM »
I would use some sort of stain on the ram rod. Then a couple coats of a oil-varnish,rubbed in. I would think shellac would not wear well on a ram rod. Pluss I prefer the rod to be a bit darker than white hickory would be with out a bit of stain.    BJH
BJH

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 04:17:14 AM »
I've used Aqua fortis with great results. ALso LMF stains will work, shoe dye, etc.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Bob Rearley

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 05:25:59 PM »
Thanks guys.  I guess I was wondering if I should try to match the rod to the stock.  I don't think I have ever seen a rod and stock match so maybe I answered my own question.
Bob

Offline BJH

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 12:32:07 AM »
It's not that I try to match the stock, but just to have a darker rod. Hickory is too "white" to my eye against a stained maple stock or walnut, with out a little stain.  Just my2 cents..BJH
BJH

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 12:42:38 AM »
Bob,

How do you plan to finish the gun with shellac? I am a big fan of garnet shellac as a sealer. Do you mix it with something else to get it to hold up to rough gun use and wet weather?
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline bgf

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 12:53:19 AM »
I would stain the ramrod lighter than the stock but not leave it natural.  I would guess that the originals are natural with maybe some oil rubbed on, but they have been darkened from time and use.  Since most people don't even use the rifle rod, it will probably stay whatever color you make it, but it will darken pretty quickly if you actually use it some.  The tip by the muzzle will also darken if you just leave it in while loading and shooting.

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 11:07:33 AM »
I stained the ramrod on the walnut stocked pistol I made, black with a stain for leather. Worked fine.
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=9799.msg92444#msg92444
Best regards
Rolfkt

dannybb55

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 01:37:46 PM »
Who are these people that don't use their rammer? What do they use, their thumb?

J.D.

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 05:30:41 PM »
They must  long thumbs?  ???
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 05:31:15 PM by J.D. »

Bob Rearley

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 07:29:34 PM »
Thanks guys.  I found a piece of Ebony that I think I'll shape into the ram rod.  It isn't solid black but is mixed with brown grain as well.  It's very straight grain also.  I got the shellac idea from a Mike Miller video on pistol building.  He applied several coats of shellac and a coat of Renaissance Wax.  That's it.  I think I'll rub out the shellac real well and then give it a coat of Chambers oil finish.  I'm not sure I have that much faith in shellac and wax alone.  I will of course, try this on a wood scrap first , and I do plan to use this ram rod.
Bob

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 07:51:30 PM »
my experence is that Oil varnish like Chambers will not overlay Shellac well.  Makes a real mess.  It will work over a shellac sealer that has been taken back to the wood and fills only the grain very well.......... Rennaissance wax is terrific and will go over the shellac fine......that or beeswax should work well
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming