Author Topic: Finishing a browned barrel  (Read 5040 times)

billd

Finishing a browned barrel
« on: July 05, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
I know this has been discussed before but a search didn't get me the result I was looking for.   

What's the best finish, or top coat, to put on a freshly browned barrel?

Thanks,
Bill

northmn

Re: Finishing a browned barrel
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 12:40:15 AM »
I have found that it takes a bit for the browning to set in and quit rusting, especially at tenons and sights.  One thing that was recommended to me a long time ago was good car wax.  I ahve also had good luck with Tru Oil for the bottom flats inside the stock.  There will about as many recommendations for this as for patch lube.

DP

Offline BJH

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 12:41:27 AM »
When I finish up a browning job I'll leave it out in the sun for a bit just till it gets on the verge of being too hot to comfortably hold. Then I will rub it down with a denim rag soaked in clean deisel engine oil. This will usually arrest any after rust. Lubricating oil meant for deisels has a bit more acid neutralising ingredients than any other oil I have used. If it still tries to rust just repeat . It will stop, usually within one or two applications.  BJH
BJH

SPG

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 01:30:01 AM »
Mr. Habermehl,

I've always killed a brown with G-96 gun cleaner. Two applications does it...no problem with after-rust. Of course, that is here in Wyoming where the humidity is usually quite low.

Steve

Offline BJH

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 02:33:57 AM »
Here in central Pa. the humidity is usually at least 50%. I don't think it's really the difference though. I've fooled around with a lot of oils and waxes etc. in the last 20 years. I just stumbled onto the diesel motor oil thing acouple of years ago. It has worked the best by far for me. I don't even have to use the warm baking soda neutralizing bath any more.  BJH
BJH

northmn

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 05:17:13 PM »
Here in central Pa. the humidity is usually at least 50%. I don't think it's really the difference though. I've fooled around with a lot of oils and waxes etc. in the last 20 years. I just stumbled onto the diesel motor oil thing acouple of years ago. It has worked the best by far for me. I don't even have to use the warm baking soda neutralizing bath any more.  BJH

I have a small diesel tractor, are you talking about the Ratella (can't find the container, its something like that) motor oil?

DP

Offline rick landes

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 06:54:51 PM »
I soak the barrel in #1 baking soda and 1 gallon water for 1/2 hour
Then I warm the barrel quickly to dry off any water. The barrel is warmed with a heat gun to warm to the touch and then an even coat of BLO is applied, left 10-15 minutes and then wiped off with a cloth. repeated twice more...why I do not know it just looks right to my eye. BLO is required as a soak for many of the naval contracts we get; so I figured it will help a FL barrel.
I finish with two coats of good paste wax, again heated dried and removed with a soft cloth.

The BLO gives a nice even finish to browning. The wax just enhances that.
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline BJH

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 10:57:27 PM »
Rotella is the brand name. I inherited a gallon jug from work. It was opened and presumed contaminated. It was one of those ask an you shall recieve moments :). BJH
BJH

northmn

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 01:04:36 AM »
Thank you.  The tractor is Japaneese and holds 3.something liters instead of a gallon.  I usually have some left over.  Couldn't quite remember the name of the stuff.

DP

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 07:18:23 PM »
I cake my barrels with a paste of baking soda and rinse and dry, then use heat to heat up and thoroughly dry the barrel, with it still hot i rub it down with a block of pure beeswax, the wax flows nicely and you can buff it back to get a nice film, leave it heavy on the bottom flats.  Works for me.  Love the texture.  Easy to reapply.

Brett.