Author Topic: 18th century "Russia" leather  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Artificer

18th century "Russia" leather
« on: July 08, 2010, 10:20:10 PM »
Maybe, just MAYBE we can at last learn the formula they used for the ultimate leather of the 18th century.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/28/nyregion/a-200-year-old-gift-from-under-the-sea.html?pagewanted=all

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: 18th century "Russia" leather
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 12:13:40 AM »
Well, we gotta go get the Reindeer first eh???
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 03:41:15 AM »
Was it always reindeer? I thought any thin skinned hide (calf, goat, etc..) worked up similarly...and that the stoning, birch oil and resin smell, and red finish characterized the leather as much as the hide type?
Im seriously asking in the hopes of getting a definitive answer, as I really dont know for sure...
TCA
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 04:48:52 AM »
I have no idea but this article says that the leather in the ship that was found was reindeer.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Artificer

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 04:57:49 PM »
Was it always reindeer? I thought any thin skinned hide (calf, goat, etc..) worked up similarly...and that the stoning, birch oil and resin smell, and red finish characterized the leather as much as the hide type?
Im seriously asking in the hopes of getting a definitive answer, as I really dont know for sure...
TCA

Though I can't link to it, I have read other leather was tanned by this process up to and including calf/cow.  Reindeer hide was the most likely leather used because it was available in quantity for export and was a good weight and "body" of leather for so many things, though.   
Gus

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 11:33:37 PM »
Reindeer hide is very similar to cariboo, which is very similar to moose, ....to elk,,,etc.  I think any skin from an animal of comparable size would work the same way.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.