Author Topic: shooting in various weather  (Read 2570 times)

YORKTOWNE54

shooting in various weather
« on: July 10, 2010, 06:39:53 PM »
Can anyone offer any info in regards to shooting in high humidity vs lower humidity etc.? Are there any absolutes in bp shooting and extreme weather differences? Maybe patch/ball changes,dealing with the "mirage effect" between sights. ?

northmn

Re: shooting in various weather
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 07:34:07 PM »
Higher sights help some on the mirage effect.  Some used to wet the top barrel flat as part of the mirae is heat buildup.  Fine sights like a small V with a silver blade also can be a challenge.  Fouling does change in different weather conditions, such that sometimes its brick hard and other times I've seen the pan dripping wet.  Lubes like the Lehigh Valley or Hoppes 9+ seem to work in most any conditions for targets.  Changing anything can hurt accuracy if you've developed a good load or loads such taht I would leave patch/ball thickness alone.  Mostly it can be a matter of cleaning between rounds.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 04:36:41 PM »
We change little or nothing here between summer and winter shooting, all types of weather freezing to 100 degrees (we dont' shoot much at 100- except at Hefley and only for a few days - we hope.

We see no fouling changes from 6% humidity at Hefley Creek rondy or 40% here, to 95% when it's pouring - except the rain washes the fouing off the barrel and creates problems in the pan. I usually don't shoot in the rain, but do get caught on the trail now and then.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 12:07:39 AM »
My thoughts are in line with Daryl's.  Change little or nothing at all from your shooting routine unless it's a mental adjustment after reading your first shot's location - then this is where the mental adjustment comes into play with reading the conditions to make holding/aiming adjustments at the firing line (or peg), and dependant on distance to the target.