Author Topic: If you like Bucks County rifles  (Read 17703 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
If you like Bucks County rifles
« on: July 14, 2010, 02:32:47 PM »
You're going to love this one, I bet.
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2010/07/bucks-county-rifle-by-mike-gahagan.html

Everything I've seen of Mike Gahagan's work has impressed me.  I'm pretty sure this one is not a bench copy, but it has all the right signatures for a Bucks County rifle and would fit right in with Verner's or Shuler's work.  Love what he did with the lock, among many other details.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: If you like Bucks County rifles
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 02:43:11 PM »
Beautiful piece.  Fit and finish are excellent.  Carving and engraving .... perfect.

Like you said Rich, not a copy of any exact piece, but there's no doubting the intention.  Beautiful, sleek, Vernor.
In His grip,

Dane

Birddog6

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 03:08:43 PM »
 :)  Boy, no doubt about it..... that is one   Fine  looking Bucks rifle!!   Really like the lock on it.  All in all, superb job on it.   ;)

Keith Lisle
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:09:35 PM by Birddog6 »

Offline flehto

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 03:28:23 PM »
Really like viewing  Bucks County LRs  of such quality and Gahagan has  certainly captured the essence of one  version  of these sleek LRs. ....Fred

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 04:31:49 PM »
Nothing about it I don't like!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Mike Gahagan

• Mike Gahagan-Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 07:59:53 PM »
Thanks guys.
Yeah, I tried to put a little of both Verner and Shuler in it without coping either.
Eric, thanks again for the pictures and measurments.They were very helpful.

Mike

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 08:56:31 PM »
Could you share photos of the entry thimble area and nosecap?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Gahagan

• Mike Gahagan-Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 12:05:44 AM »
Rich,I would but I have never been able to figure out how to post pictures here.I am rather computer dumb...Mike

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 12:19:28 AM »
Mike, take a look at this tutorial.  You just have to have a free web photo storage site like www.photobucket.com or Picasa to upload the photos to and then follow the tutorial to insert the url for the photo into your posts.....or email them to Rich or me and we will postthem for you..

Tutorial on Photos http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 12:19:45 AM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 04:56:12 AM »
A truly outstanding piece of art, and it is for sale.  I'm sure this one will find a new home in a short time.  Rifles of this quality don't come up for sale every day.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 05:12:59 AM »
To me , this is the most complete rifle I've seen here.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 06:45:55 AM »
To me , this rifle is absolutely the "nuts". Flawless. The amount of work to modify that lock and work out that sideplate is immense. Just a bite of tarnish to take off the new look. Love it. Let's see if somebody can beat this on a Bucks rifle.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 07:01:09 AM »
That rile is awesome!  Like Bill said, it is flawless.    The work on the side plate and lock is exquisite.   The engraving on the lock is very simple and flawlessly done.   Everybody who engraves knows that it is much harder to pull off such simple lines than a fancier engraving where you can hide you mistakes.   It takes guts to attempt something like that.  And lets not forget the carving.   Again, the simple incised lines might seem simple to the uninformed, but Mike has executed each line, each curve, with precision.    I wish I knew how to do that.   

Mark E.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 05:32:23 PM »
See the comments after the photos on the blogspot.,, viewed and responded to in CHINESE.........talk about global influence!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Mike Gahagan

• Mike Gahagan-Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 06:00:37 PM »
I am glad that it is not an old Chinese hex of some kind.

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 09:57:47 PM »
Here are a few photos...

Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 10:34:10 PM »
I found the view spiritual. I would think selling and therefore giving up something that nice would be hard to do. Real nice work.      Gary

Leatherbelly

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 09:35:56 AM »
Dayum!

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 03:17:19 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that it has an "all" finish to it.   Kind of like the time Mike was talking about working on compressors
and was always talking about the "ar".    We said, what the heck is "ar"?    Mike says, yeah, you Yankess would probably say "aaaiiiiirrrr".   I hope he's coming along to the show..............Don

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 04:07:39 PM »
Mike can't make it to Dixon's, but I'm trying to talk him into letting me bring the rifle along.  I think we can work that out.  He will, however, be at the CLA show for sure.  He will have a new table location at the CLA this year, right in front of the booth Mark Silver and I share. For all you yankees coming to the show, stop by his table and learn to talk "southern".  Ha!

Offline Mike Gahagan

• Mike Gahagan-Gunmaker
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 07:46:51 PM »
Don,you still haven`t grasped the hillbilly dialect.You left the "r" out of it.It is pronounced "aril".You know,like I need to put a quart of "aril" in my old truck.

I wish that I could make it to Dixon`s because I have never been there,but if Jim doesn`t mind toting around my gun,at least I can be there in spirit.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 01:20:48 AM »
Jim.....I must admit, some of us yankees have probems with the englilsh language too........how Mike's yankee name....
"Mac DaHagan"......you know who I'm talking about...............Don

Todd

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2010, 09:51:50 PM »
Wow.  What a pleasure to see such a masterful combination of workmanship, artistry and "correctness" in terms of knowing the Bucks/Verner/Shuler language.  And with a perfect understatement that adds to the punch.  It's clear that Mr. Gahagan could have taken it over the top and off the deep end if he'd wanted to, but he had the good taste and strength of mind to hold back and keep it under control.  No excessive frills or ego or fakery.  Apart from everything else that's going on with the piece, just that area of the lock, wrist and triggerguard, and the integrated lines of the frizzen, hammer, trigger and lockplate tail, bear looking at for a long time.  It doesn't get any better than this.  For me, this kind of work breathes new life into the whole scene.  It's time for some of the other guys who are getting most of the attention to take notice and move over.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2010, 11:30:51 PM »
In the vernacular of the day…Awesome.

Tim
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 11:32:36 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2010, 12:01:20 AM »
Amazingly wonderful work. Thanks for sharing. Bill Hey