Author Topic: Help with Southern Rifle identification , signed "JB"  (Read 14568 times)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Help with Southern Rifle identification , signed "JB"
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 04:34:50 PM »
Sorry to be late but I've been traveling.  The triggers are very simular to ones shown in Mr. Webb's book.  Identified as from Matthew Scott. I think Floyd county VA.  His brother, John Scott also made guns. 
Ken   
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

jwh1947

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2010, 07:21:08 PM »
Lock appears to be replaced, and not really a great match.  But, this being said, it matters little, as the rest of the gun is cool.  Now, I will go out on a limb and posit that of the lock, stock and barrel, it is the lock that is of least importance.

My rationale:  as an engine is the "heart" of a car, the barrel is the "heart" of a rifle.  All is built around it.  If it isn't right, nothing good can come of it.  As for the wood, that should be self-explanatory.  It engenders the style and overall architecture, if nothing else.  And it is that little patch of art, often found on the cheek side, occasionally raised, but more often incised, that makes some grown men go "ga-ga, goo-goo" and pay ridiculous sums of money just to say they own it.

That leaves the lock, often broken during service and replaced.  More often than not, the one you see wasn't there when the gun was built.  No matter, it's the rest that makes a gun.  And, yes, there is synergy here, too; that is, the sum of three great components is far greater than the sum of the three parts assessed separately.   

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2010, 08:43:28 AM »
Got to love those triggers!  What a beautiful rifle you have there Wayne.  Congratulations- it seems to be in wonderful condition.

Bill
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 04:10:37 AM »
Thank you, gentlemen, for all the helpful input and kind remarks.
Wayne Elliott

warmutt

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 07:53:47 PM »
This is more of a question for some of y'all than a statement from me. The rear lock nail looks rather crudely made when compaired to all the rest of the work on this piece. Wonder if it was made by someone other than the original builder, perhaps to accommodate a replacement lock?