Author Topic: Nails For inlays  (Read 2955 times)

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
Nails For inlays
« on: September 14, 2008, 06:12:25 PM »
Making some german silver inlay nails. In the past with sterling silver I have made them like Acer. But with The german it is driving me nut. Try to get a blob for a head and no luck (Maybe not hot eough MEPs gas) try cold. I can get half a head but that is all. I quess the next step might be to dig out the oa touch to heat it up.   
David Veith
David Veith

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
Re: Nails For inlays
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 09:03:23 PM »
David, try this:  Make the nail and peen a head onto it while holding it firmly in a vice.  Slightly countersink the nail holes in the inlay, drift in the nails, peen a bit more to fill the countersink, and then file flush.  OR, you could make a "dapping" die if you wanted tall, round heads to stand proud.  Cheers,  Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

hyltoto

Re: Nails For inlays
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 06:21:32 AM »
I bought some rod from TOW. I took a 1/2 inch steel bar and drilled a hole through it. I countersunk one side and put my ~5/8 piece of rod in it and pound it (swage?) down into the countersink. This gives me a pin with the same angle as the countersink on the inlay as a head. I annealed the rod with red heat and water quench and it seemed to help.