Author Topic: #1 buckshot in a .32  (Read 6742 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
#1 buckshot in a .32
« on: July 24, 2010, 12:30:58 AM »
I wanted to test fire my new 44 inch Rice barrel .32 today. Thought I had some #0 buckshot but they turned out to be #1 which are .300. So I dug out the thickest pillow ticking that I had which was .020. So I tried this combo with 20 grains of 3F and was off to the races. Even though I was plagued with several miss/hangfires I still managed to have a 5 shot group you could cover with a quarter at 25 yards (from a bench). It looks like that combo will shoot well in this rifle. I searched for .32 loads and notices most are shooting .310 up to .320 balls. I don't think I could have easily loaded a larger ball with this patch thickness, at least not without using a short starter. Anyone else shooting #1 buck in a .32.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Daryl

Re: #1 buckshot in a .32
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 01:35:52 AM »
Not me.  Too small.  Dennis- if that load would shoot into 1" for 5 at 50 yards and allow up to 60 or 70 shots without loss of accuracy or having to wipe, I'd be shooting that ball too.  Keep us posted if it does this. Until then, I'll stick with a .311' ball from my Lee DC mould. Admitedly, the .311 is .004' smaller than I should be shooting, but my barrel has very wide lands and narrow grooves, so a .009" smaller ball is just about necessary. I'm using either a .0215" or .0225" patch with equal results. They both seem to load the same - very easily.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 03:41:21 AM »
Like Daryl, I shot .311 balls from a Lee mold--when I still had a .32. I think I was using .015 patches with spit. Got to get another .32 one of these days.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 03:44:57 AM »
I wanted to test fire my new 44 inch Rice barrel .32 today. Thought I had some #0 buckshot but they turned out to be #1 which are .300. So I dug out the thickest pillow ticking that I had which was .020. So I tried this combo with 20 grains of 3F and was off to the races. Even though I was plagued with several miss/hangfires I still managed to have a 5 shot group you could cover with a quarter at 25 yards (from a bench). It looks like that combo will shoot well in this rifle. I searched for .32 loads and notices most are shooting .310 up to .320 balls. I don't think I could have easily loaded a larger ball with this patch thickness, at least not without using a short starter. Anyone else shooting #1 buck in a .32.
Dennis

I always use 0 buck in a 32.
This was in a Douglas barrel and I used ticking as a patch IIRC.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 04:59:48 AM »
I have some 0 buck, but haven't tried it yet. Still 500 or more .311's to use up first.

northmn

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 06:55:02 PM »
Depends on what the 32 is to be used for.  If you are hunting small game, generally the shots are close and if the buckshot shoots that tight it will work.  I you are trying to make a match rifle out of it then I think you may need to get a larger size.  32 ball are relatively inexpensive even purchased by the 100.  Also most buckshot is sold in the "hardened" version with antimony added.  TOW is the only source that claims pure lead.  Even so many use buckshot.  I just received a relatively fast twist 32 barrel which needs a rifle built around it.  1-34 twist, actually a 33 as it is designed to take a 320 ball.  Small bores are fun.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 07:51:35 PM »
I have a Lee conical mould for mine which was sent to me by an ALR member, but I haven't tried it as yet. Maybe one of these days.  The fairly deep, narrow grooves might not like it much.  For now, I can't see a need for the bullet as round balls seem to work well to the 75 yard gongs, even managed the 100yard bunny-in-the-hole - once. My tendency is to shoot beside it's head, holding too much front sight. When I aimed at it's head, I managed a hit in the body.  There is only about 4" of drop from a 50 yard zero, when using 35gr. 3F and the .311" ball.  With the .0215 or .0225 patch, once seated flush- one ight smack with the starter, it's 2 finger loading to the powder- all day, no wiping using water based, spit or an oil for lube.

The .320 buckshot I have is of the hardened variety, so I've resisted the urg to try it.  It might be OK, but I doubt it, with the narrow grooves.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 05:48:10 PM by Daryl »

northmn

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 01:17:06 PM »
Pure lead 32 cal roundball can be purchased at the desired sizes for about $8.00/100 US through one supplier.  Unless one shoots an awful lot I would buy the things.  Paying about $20 for a Lee mold (lets not even talk about RCBS or Lyman), and looking at time a cost of electricity for casting, I cannot justify casting them.  0 buckshot could be used for hunting and plinking and a good swaged ball for targets.  Usually I order my round ball as an add on to other purchases but a supplier like Grafs charges a 4.95 flat fee for postage and handling on orders over $25 which means 400 rounds would cost $37 and would last me for a while.

DP
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 01:21:45 PM by northmn »

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 05:49:50 PM »
Found 2 places at Friendship last month for 6.00 a hundred.
The Pistol Shooter

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 06:11:37 PM »
Taylor bought a box of Hornady Buckshot for his .25 'rifle' from Track.  By the time he received them, they cost $40.00  due to shipping and Canadian taxes - still not a bad price. I can't imagine casting those little balls let alone inspecting them for quality.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 05:49:14 PM by Daryl »

Levy

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 05:35:30 PM »
I'm having two barrels made by Scott Pickett in the two bore sizes that he makes (.28 and .33).  Scott is a friend and a squirrel hunter par excellance.  His idea was to make some barrels that would take swaged buckshot.  He shoots #2 buckshot in the .28 cal. and #0 and #00 in the .33 cal.  He can vary the rate of twist to your needs.  I'm shooting #4 buckshot in my Rayl .25 cal. that I got from TOW and the one I recovered from a squirrel was really flattened out (I'm guessing it was pretty soft).

James Levy 

northmn

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 09:10:56 PM »
TOW claims pure lead for their buckshot.

DP

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 09:39:04 PM »
Hornady sells soft lead buckshot in plastic bags containing 200 shot.  They don't seem to have caught on with the ML suppliers, but are commonly found in stores that carry a large inventory of reloading supplies.  Many reloaders make up their own shotshells because of the cost of buying new.  They were around $7 a bag when I bought mine.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson