Author Topic: Advise??  (Read 8955 times)

dickert54cal

Advise??
« on: July 23, 2010, 07:24:16 PM »
....Here goes
60 gr 3f .015 patch and Leghi Valley Lube  Original Formula------------------took 3 shots with a total of 5 miss fires! Grouping off the bench at 50 yards was 4"???

70 gr of 3f .015 patch and spit and it tightened up to about 2.5 inches and 3 misfires

80 gr of 3f and .015 patch with bore butter (yellow)the 3 shot group went to 1.5 inches with 1 misfire.

I was shooting at the far right bench just 15 feet from the swollen creek in already high humidity---I thinks me powder was getting moist just from the air! At home in the driveway on the blacktoop where it was hot and not as humid she never misfired.....I HATE SUMMER WEATHER! LOL
 Can anyone offer up a pic of an easy to build bench for the home shooter.

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Advise??
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 07:37:31 PM »
Even in the rain I don't get mis-fires like that!  When it is really humid here, I don't even try using 4F for priming. I just use 3F and with the Chambers locks, and the resulting shower of sparks, mis-fires are few and far between. Also, I polished the pan , and wipe it clean between shots. The residue draws moisture like a magnet. Are your sparks directed at the pan? My NE Fowler likes  the flint installed bevel down. It really made a difference. Hope this helps.

roundball

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 07:40:54 PM »
Speaking for myself, I don't believe humidity has any direct effect on main or prime powder while at the range with very little time elapsed between shots.

However, with humiditiy in the 90's here during the North Carolina summer months, AFTER every shot the pan residue has already turned glistening wet from the humid air by the time I'm ready to prime again, which can kill the prime depending on how wet it is and how much (little) prime I use.

So part of my reloading regimen is to wipe the pan dry every time with an old washcloth before priming...no misfires.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 08:40:14 PM »
Speaking for myself, I don't believe humidity has any direct effect on main or prime powder while at the range with very little time elapsed between shots.

However, with humiditiy in the 90's here during the North Carolina summer months, AFTER every shot the pan residue has already turned glistening wet from the humid air by the time I'm ready to prime again, which can kill the prime depending on how wet it is and how much (little) prime I use.

So part of my reloading regimen is to wipe the pan dry every time with an old washcloth before priming...no misfires.

Exactly the same situation here in Va.  That regimen works for me, also.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 09:22:33 PM »
I have a suggestion regarding working up loads.  Change only one thing at a time.  That way you know what has made the difference.  It is likely that the increase in powder alone made the difference in the accuracy.  
Here are some pics of a bench I made, and which I enjoy a lot.  It is of 3/4" plywood, and a pair of collapsable table legs from the hardware store.

OPoops.  Forgot to copy...next post.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 09:25:55 PM »
...now the shooting bench pics.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 09:31:11 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia

dickert54cal

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 10:16:28 PM »
I like that bench !  I will look to see if I can purchase those legs nearby. 
As for the pan---it did get pretty gunky atfer every shot ---normally I take rubbing alcohol with me and swab on these humid days but forgot to check. Seems I took it out and left it on top of the gun safe. Ive put a good many balls throughthis gun in the last few years but never encountered this problem.  The weather is pretty sticky--more than in the past.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 10:20:58 PM »
I too like the bench, looks fairly stable for a portable and the handle cut outs are a handy feature. Is it long enough when shooting the real long rifles?    Gary

roundball

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 10:41:09 PM »
I've thought a number of times about getting one of those 4 - 5' utility tables from Office Depot, attaching a 1/4 sheet of plywood on top for extra strength, then add a layer of carpet...the legs on them seem to have the same configuration as the legs on this one...then just sit at the corner of one end. 

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 10:41:27 PM »
When I bench shoot, and Daryl will tell you how much I dislike it, and how poor I am at it, I rest the rifle in my hand on the bag, just back of the entry pipe...in the same place that I shoot it offhand.  So, the bench is plenty long.  I even shoot off the chunk at that same location, though the rifle rests on the bag, not my hand.  As a result, the rifle prints about 1 1/2" high at 50 yds.
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 10:45:49 PM »
The 3/4" plywood is likely stiff enough without adding the extra reinforce strips.  But the extra weight can't hurt when it comes to stability.  This design was given to me by a fellow who shoots 1000 yd. matches...maybe that says something.  Notice there are two reinforce strips for attaching the rear legs.  This allows the legs to lay flat when folded up.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 12:30:16 AM »
Taylor,
I like your bench too, but use 3 legs on mine instead of 4.  I made it with 2x10s glued together, 2 pipe legs in front, and one at the back. 

That is ALR member Steve Chapman helping with our on-lead ball field report.  We just got finished with it.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 02:37:15 AM »
The 3/4" plywood is likely stiff enough without adding the extra reinforce strips.  But the extra weight can't hurt when it comes to stability.  This design was given to me by a fellow who shoots 1000 yd. matches...maybe that says something.  Notice there are two reinforce strips for attaching the rear legs.  This allows the legs to lay flat when folded up.

I like your bench, sturdy a portable.  Mine is much lighter with screw in wooden legs and is lower than yours.  I'm short, anyway, but still sit on one of those plastic or metal "crates" to shoot.  It's definitely not for a tall shooter.  I still shoot sub moa from it with my centerfires.

I did build a "portable" bench once with metal legs.  It was heavy, tall and solid so "portable" is stretching it.  But I did as well from my little bench.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 04:23:49 AM »

Exactly the same situation here in Va.  That regimen works for me, also.

Same black semi-liquid goo in Iowa back when I was a kid.
Under 30% RH fouling stays very dry and turns white. Much over 30% it tends to get black and causes corrosion.

BTW this is a well fouled vent liner but note that there is a grain of powder visible at the vent.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

The Professor

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 06:10:51 AM »
http://vbwhiz.isa-geek.net/plans/

Look under shooting accessories for the knockdown shooting bench.

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 04:35:43 PM »
Interesting bench, Professor.

The benches Taylor and I made call for a $10.00 scrap piece of plywood and $24.00 for the pair of folding legs.  Couple saw cut-outs for left and right handed shooters and it's done- except for sanding, paint or finish.  Mine, if counting the age of the top surface, is about 50 years old.
The all-wood stand that fits together might be considerably more difficult to transport and be heavier as well depending on material. Lots of pieces but appears to be quite sturdy.

dickert54cal

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 06:16:34 PM »
Just saw one that is very similar to the one yo built.  It has a plastic top and looks much lighter. Im going to take a look at it.  Since I only need to carry it 10 yards for home shooting the heavier wooden model may be better.

Daryl

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 07:52:53 PM »
Just a further note - the heavier the bench, the less it's effected by wind or your movement.

roundball

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 05:55:48 PM »

I like the 3D photos, ability to rotate, etc !

Did have one question though...the table shows the shooter sitting on what appears to be a fixed 'seat' at the very end of the table, yet the side of the table is cut out as if he should be sitting on the side  ???

Either way will work, just don't understand the need for the side cut if he's going to sit at the end

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 06:10:45 PM »

I like the 3D photos, ability to rotate, etc !

Did have one question though...the table shows the shooter sitting on what appears to be a fixed 'seat' at the very end of the table, yet the side of the table is cut out as if he should be sitting on the side  ???

Either way will work, just don't understand the need for the side cut if he's going to sit at the end
That table is wayyyy too low or the seat toooo high.  He would end up laying on the thing.   Long rifle to rest the rifle near the muzzle takes a long table.  The table in the diagram could be knelt at (the old way).