Author Topic: My Smoothbore  (Read 5408 times)

Offline P.W.Berkuta

My Smoothbore
« on: September 14, 2008, 08:26:18 PM »
Well, I got the camera out and tried to use some of the info in the photo tutorials to see if I could "improve" on my inept picture taking and by GOD I have learned that I have a LONG way to go. I did start messing around with the manual settings and did see an improvement -- so - here goes!

Feel free to comment on either / both pictures or fowler :-*
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

California Kid

Re: My Smoothbore
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 09:27:48 PM »
Try a more neutral color back ground.
Look at the pics in books to get an idea of how to compose your pic.
Soft light, no shadows.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 10:25:26 PM »
If your pictures are hosted on Photobucket, use the "edit" feature to crop the gun and get rid of all the extraneous background.  The pictures won't take up as much space and will be more viewable.  We only need to see the gun.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 12:32:18 AM »
Nice.

What kind of thimbles are they and why did you choose those specific ones?
Is this from a blank?
Are the TG and BP from Chambers?
Did you make the nail plate?
What brand and bore of barrel did you use?
What is the provenance of your tang area carving?

tg

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 03:33:38 AM »
good background or not, I like the gun, nice job looks like a keeper to me,

close enough

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 04:08:52 AM »
Gun is way better than the pictures:  Try a neutral background that separates the gun, outside on an overcast day (preferably one that has minimal shadows). Move it or the camera around till you get the image you like.  If you have a tripod, put the camera on it and put your head in front of the lens- look.  Your pictures will take a quantum leap.
Brian

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 07:00:37 AM »
Nice job on the fowler. Way to much work on the pictures. Just lay your background on a flat surface- driveway, deck. Overcast day with no shadows. Put a small bottlecap or whatever under  it to tilt it a bit. What you see along the angle of the camera is what you will get.  Simple, simple. Don't over think this.

Lime green is pretty hideous. That's probably what you had to work with.

EDIT YOUR PICTURES TO 700 WIDE ON THIS SITE. Otherwise you will get a fuzzy border to anything you post. Note how the up and down picts are clear and the side to side picts are impalated ( fuzzed) at the borders. YOU CANNOT EDIT AN ALREADY EDITED PICTURE. The site will auto edit a picture to it's maximum and since you cannot do this you have minor distortions.

don getz

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 03:24:28 PM »
Paul.....gun looks good, but.......the trigger looks like it belongs on an in-line.   If it were mine, I would re-do that fast.
I would buy a single trigger, just the trigger, from Jim Chambers and re-do it, the gun would look so much better....Don

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 08:01:52 PM »
Thanks all --- and you all are 100% on the money with the comments.
Don, I "futzzed with that trigger for a long time (I made six and still don't like it). It will be changed  :D!
Bill, you are correct - I spent 4 hours setting up in the laundry room when I could have went outside in the morning when it was overcast - Green = Puke  ;)!
Close Enough, correct, I will do more shots outside from now on  8).
tg, thank you - this was my first Fowler and I like it - I have parts for another- some day soon  :P.
Capt. Jas. Butt plate, T.G. & lock are Chambers. Barrel is Colerain, nail plate I made, along with the ramrod pipes & ram rod end, trigger & trigger plate. The wood is from a  walnut tree out side of Easton, PA. from a farm off of route 611 (purchased in 1997).  The tang area carving is my feeble attempt at some similarity to BS-10 tang carving in Tom Grinslade's book "Flintlock Fowlers" 8)
TOF - good advise, will do  :)!
Ca. Kid - I got some gray flannel I'll use next time  ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb