Author Topic: George Kettering Rifle Location  (Read 5130 times)

nvandal

George Kettering Rifle Location
« on: July 26, 2010, 10:19:44 PM »
Hello.
I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm trying to locate a rifle made by George Kettering. It's featured on page 100 of The Longrifles of Western Pennsylvania. It's also shown as # 44 in the color plates that follow. I want to examine this gun, or at least see if I can obtain more comprehensive photos. It's a beautiful rifle made in Westmoreland County by a pretty unique maker, biographically, that is.
So, if you know where this gun is located and if it can be seen, I'd appreciate the information. I obviously want to copy the rifle. I need more details than I can get from the photos. Or, if you know of other photos, that's good too.
Thanks kindly,
Norm Vandal
Roxbury, VT  05669

nvandal

Re: George Kettering Rifle Location
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 02:17:13 PM »
Thanks. I understand this. However, the situation may be different with this gun. It might be in a museum or with a generous owner. I though someone could tell me definitively. I used to make historically accurate Queen Anne and Chippendale furniture, so I was faced with this dilemma many times. I should be smarter and choose a gun from Shumway's book, with all the photos. But, not the case. I'm smitten with the Kettering!
Norm Vandal
Roxbury, VT

nvandal

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 05:11:19 PM »
Many thanks for your response. Can you tell me how I might contact Mr. Rosenberger? The show sounds fantastic. Can you send me the definite date and location? A little travel puts spirit back in the bones. Perhaps the rifle I'm interested in could be in the show? I just returned from Dixon's and when I spoke of Kettering, most folks looked at me like I was fabrication information. Do people not know much about western PA rifles? I know Morton is often copied, but I've never seen or heard of a Kettering copy. I'm new to building rifles; I formerly made Queen anne and Chippendale period furniture. So, it's like me to bite off a big chunk like a Kettering. Eyes wide open, so to speak!
Norm Vandal
Roxbury, VT

nvandal

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 12:05:41 PM »
Thanks for sending me the poster of the show. I wish I coul;d attend but have other pressing commitments during that time.
I located the owner of the Kettering rifle. He is shooting tons of digital photos and taking some crucial measurements. Sending me the photos on a flash drive. He has offered to put the gun in my hands should I go to visit him. Very unselfish and very gracious person. He was excited that I would copy the rifle.
It's too easy to make assumptions about people who own valuable pieces of American decorative arts. In my experiences with period furniture I found that museums were frequently the most difficult to approach. Curators were worried that lay people might know as much or more than they did about the objects. Or, they guarded what they saw as potentially lucrative copyrights.
Anyhow. I'm on my way to building the rifle. I can't wait to get the photos.
I speny my day on Tuesday measuring and photographing a fabulous Peter Berry rifle owned by the wife of one of my good friends who died a few years ago. What a learning experience.
Again, thanks for your help.
Norm Vandal

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 05:26:39 AM »
The gun show in Jefferson County is in Brookville PA on Sept 4 at 9 AM.  I think
the venue is  the historical society, but not sure.  If you go to Brookville, they will know where it is.  See you there. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 01:16:17 PM »
   The location of the Jefferson Co. Historical Society Arms & Artifact show is the Jefferson Co. Fair Grounds located just north of Rt. 80 on Rt. 28 ( You can see Rt. 80 from the fair grounds.  Rt. 28 is marked as the Hazen exit.   Stop by the table and say hello,  "Recreating History Muzzleloaders."

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Joey R

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 04:05:33 AM »
May I be so bold as to have you thank the owner of this rifle on behalf of all of the ALR forum members for his generosity? The opportunity that he is giving you is sometimes few and far between. Best of luck and satisfaction on your build.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill