Author Topic: Allen Martin Rifle  (Read 20519 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Allen Martin Rifle
« on: July 28, 2010, 07:32:15 PM »
Allen had an Isac Berlin inspired rifle at Dixons.  Some of you may have seen it.  It was also shown on the Blog this morning.  Just wanted to say what an absolute fantastic rifle I think this is!   We get accostomed to seeing a lot of great rifles by Allen, but this one to me is something special.   A rifle like this reminds me that I've got a lot to learn!

Offline Telgan

Re: Allen Martin Rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 08:12:45 PM »
We got to handle this smooth rifle as well, at Dixons. What a truely oustanding piece of work it is. Wowza. Great work Allen. It's probaly also a testment to lamp black, chicken manure, and a little stale urine thrown in for good measure.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 08:00:27 AM »
He just continues to amaze me.
 Im' very anxious to see Jim Kibler's Valentine Beck that he's started as well.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 05:20:43 AM »
Allen Martin? whoozat?  ;D :D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 05:21:38 AM by Leatherbelly »

Birddog6

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 01:46:57 PM »
Man he does some impressive work...   :o   No doubt about it, he is in a class of his own.  It's really  inspiring for me, to see work like he does.  And a great guy to talk to as well.    ;)

Keith Lisle

Offline mountainman

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 05:50:51 AM »
Where do you find the pictures on the blog?

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 07:55:27 AM »
I've just contracted Allen to build me a rifle.  There are not many who bring out the Spirit of a rifle like him.

In the gun building section of this site, we have talked about what makes a  "great" rifle.  I'm not sure we've come to any conclusions, but all I can say is... this one, as well as many other of his totally fit the requirements.

Thanks Allen for what you do..... and make mine one of the  "great" ones.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 08:21:40 PM »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Collector

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 09:11:20 PM »
I knew that there was something else about that smooth-rifle that I liked... it's a 16 ga. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D and
16 ga. smoothies ROCK!!

I've encouraged Allen to redo his entire website.  After seeing the photos of Paul Gosnells' new Allen Martin smooth-rifle and photos of Bill Rugees' Christian Springs rifle and just hearing Allen describe, in our conversations, some of the other pieces that he's done recently, I'm getting prepared to be just blown away when he does.

If being WOW'D and 'feeling' the POP and SIZZLE in just 'seeing' a photograph of a longrifle like Pauls' or Bills', let alone hold it in your own hands, isn't "mystical," than I don't know what is. 

I submit,  that if its attributes and qualities can be easily recognized, categorized, extrapolated or definitively expressed... then by definition, it - can't -  be -  "mystical."

My hat is off to Paul Gosnell for his vision in commissioning this piece and to Allen for 'digging deep' into that 'soul' of his, that inspires longrifles such as this one. 

jwh1947

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 05:05:46 AM »
My favorite contemp is the A. Martin that appears on the cover of April 2002 Muzzle Blasts.  I was fortunate to get it because the man who won it was very big in stature and returned it for a rifle with a longer pull.  My gain.  Martin is one of the world's best and a great friend.   The whole family is absolutely exceptional.  Wayne
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 05:08:27 AM by jwh1947 »

Online AMartin

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 04:48:54 AM »
Wow .......
Thanks for all the compliments and kind words ...... I guess most of you really don't me well !!!  8)

Stop by the table @ CLA and play with all my guns !!!!

Allen

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 01:08:27 PM »
. . . . . snipped .. . .
Stop by the table @ CLA and play with all my guns !!!!

Allen

I had a chance to do just that and had a misconception of mine cleared up.  I have always admired Allen's work, but was afraid that the style wouldn't fit me.  On Friday I played with the shimmel Allen brought to CLA and found out how nicely the rifle came up.  It sure shot down my mistaken idea about how rifles fit.  Architecture certainly does carry the gun.  My compliments Allen. It handles as good as it looks!

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

PGosnell

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 05:30:17 AM »
Is this the one you are writing about?  Its a sweet little rifle.  46" .40 cal Getz barrel.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 07:01:08 AM »
That's it! Ain't it pretty?
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 09:23:02 PM »
Just another old barn gun. RIGHT! ::)

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Kermit

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 03:03:21 AM »
Nowhere is it written that a "barn gun"" must be shoddy. Craftsmanship, all the way. This is yet another example of why I'm drawn more and more to simpler guns. The same with horns, bags...
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

PGosnell

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 03:48:06 AM »
I will admit I was not heading anywhere near the definition of traditional when I asked for this rifle.  I believe the words I used when asking Allen to build this one was, "make me the sexiest little schimmel anyone has ever seen".  I think he got it right. 

This is my favorite rifle for just shooting.  It carries light and will never leave you with shoulder shock.

Sometimes it just comes down to Architecture.  Not carving, not engraving or inlays.  Just the simple form.  Cause when that is wrong, the whole rifle is wrong.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 04:57:32 AM »
Allen sure got the pure essence of the Lehigh, everything's there, without inlays , or carving.  it's naked, and sultry, and maybe even a Siren.  Calling us unto the rocks.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

jim moore

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 01:42:03 PM »
Super nice rifle!! Yeah Allen sure can build them!
I have a schlemiel 48"barrel .62 cal it sure is fun to shoot.

xring2245

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 01:45:54 AM »
I just ordered an early Jacob Dubbs 28ga. smooth rifle from Allen today.  He was very patient with me as I described what I wanted in the rifle and we came up with a consensus that I am sure will turn out well.

James

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 01:50:36 AM »
I just ordered an early Jacob Dubbs 28ga. smooth rifle from Allen today.  He was very patient with me as I described what I wanted in the rifle and we came up with a consensus that I am sure will turn out well.

James
I hope this will give us another shooter in our First Frontier smoothy matches.... ;D

xring2245

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2011, 02:57:23 AM »
I hope this will give us another shooter in our First Frontier smoothy matches.... ;D
[/quote]

I already have four smoothbores; I'm just too lazy to bring one to the shoot   :-[.  Maybe next month...   :-\

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 06:09:43 PM »

I already have four smoothbores; I'm just too lazy to bring one to the shoot   :-[.  Maybe next month...   :-\
[/quote]Sure bring her, we are trying to build that match/matches.. Plus they are easier to clean.... ;D