Author Topic: Platinum lined nipple  (Read 8186 times)

westbj2

Platinum lined nipple
« on: September 15, 2008, 07:11:51 PM »
I thought that I would take a picture of this nipple for those who may have never seen one.  This nipple came from a London shotgun but they are most frequently encountered on long range Match Rifles.  The protection of the platinum makes the nipple virtually impervious to erosion from breech gasses.  Shooters of the long range rifles say that as few as 10 shots can burn out a conventional steel nipple thus effecting accuracy

Offline T*O*F

Re: Platinum lined nipple
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 08:10:39 PM »
The protection of the platinum makes the nipple virtually impervious to erosion from breech gasses.

Even that has its restrictions.  A number of LR shooters have gone to Swiss 3F and reports are coming in that it is burning out platinum nipples.  Historically, most shooters used 1.5Fg.  The guns are also unique in that the flash channel is not wide open, but rather the nipple seats on a flat seat inside the channel that has a small hole in it.

Interesting specimen.  I've never seen one with a slot instead of a hole.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Sam Everly

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:11:13 PM »
I use to make some platinum nipples . The cost of even platinum scrap has gone thru the roof , so i only make them for me any more . At $200 to $300 worth of platinum in a nipple don't throw one away if you think it is worn out !

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 01:11:23 AM »
At $200 to $300 worth of platinum in a nipple don't throw one away

Sam,
1/4x28 platinum lined nipples are currently priced at $85.
However, the one shown in the picture has about 3 times more platinum than is used today to make them.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Sam Everly

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 06:22:30 AM »
Yes i should have said old platinum nipples. I bought 4 old nipples last year at a gun show in Charlotte for 10 bucks each . I got $1050 for the platinum. I thought they where 1/4 or 12 thread, but they where metric so i took out the platinum .   

Robin Hewitt

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 02:17:34 AM »
I had an antique platinum nipple in my deer rifle, thought the plug had dropped out but I just had a look and it's still there, must have dreamed it  ::)

OTOH the gold seal around the plug is eroding, sounds like it will be an expensive shot when I eventually launch it down the 100 yard range  ;D

It has a round hole rather than a slot though.

Sam Everly

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 05:22:28 AM »
I just had to check to with Swest today . 1/8 dia x 6 inches long platinum rod $4800+. She suggested highly i insure it , add about $200 for insurance. I did not tell her i just wanted to check on the price !   
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 05:25:44 AM by Sam Everly »

Robin Hewitt

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 11:28:03 AM »
This is bad news  :o

A shotgun I just bought is worth more in platinum content than I paid for it  :o

Are we going to see irreplaceable antiques broken down for scrap?

westbj2

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 02:30:11 PM »
Bill Roberts used to make platinum lined nipples, he used old jet aircraft ignitors as the source of platinum.  Could be that the cost of even scrap now makes them to expensive.
Robin has hit on an interesting point, hopefully the scrap seekers will only choose guns next to the junk pile.
Jim Westberg

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 08:08:01 PM »
Bill Roberts used to make platinum lined nipples, he used old jet aircraft ignitors as the source of platinum.

Rick Weber is making most of them for the LR group now.  Joe Hepsworth also sells them, but I don't know who makes his.

I tried to encourage some experimenter to try making a couple using platinum tipped auto spark plug electrodes but no one ever did.  I was curious how they might work.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 04:11:44 AM »
Joe Hepsworth is making his own. Don't know what he gets for them but he uses them himself, pretty good endorsement.
Mark
Mark

Sam Everly

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 08:55:07 PM »
I have a question ? A lady friend of mine , well thats all i will say about her , just gave me 2 platinum wedding bands of her and her ex. I would say they are the same type platinum that i have bought from Swest. Would any one know ? If so i might have enough to use in a couple of nipples i need to make.   

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 01:53:10 AM »
I just ran across this link stored on one of my old computers.  Everything you'd want to know about platinum and old guns.

http://www.platinummetalsreview.com/pdf/pmr-v25-i2-074-081.pdf
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson