Author Topic: CLA show - ALR get together - Dinner?  (Read 19360 times)

IKE

Re: CLA show in Lexington - ALR get together
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 06:21:37 PM »
 :)
I will be in the same room as C. Wallingford not far from him. Table D-4.
THANKS!
SEE YA!
Jerry Eitnier
Eitnier Rifles
Iron Mounted Southern Guns
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 08:12:16 PM by IKE »

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: CLA show - ALR get together - Dinner?
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 08:58:58 PM »
Woohoo!  The show is almost here.  Don't forget about the ALR members get-together at 2pm on Friday in the Food Court at the bottom of the escalators.

As Pletch suggested, if you will have a table at the show, please post the table # or location so we don't miss you.

Is anyone else interested in going to dinner on Friday evening after the show closes?  I count 6 so far.  I was thinking 7:30pm at deSha's Restaurant and Bar.  It's within a short walk of the show. 

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

California Kid

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 09:30:06 PM »
Whats on their menu? Expensive? Just wondering about the dinner I'm going to miss. Boy I want to go to the show, but can't this year. Hopefully the economy will pick up for next year!
 Just curious, the guys that fly in, is there a shuttle or something from the airport to the show/hotel so a car wouldn't have to be rented?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 09:33:55 PM by California Kid »

Birddog6

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 10:53:33 PM »
If you are staying at the Hyatt, they should have a shuttle to the airport & back.  You can check on their web site & see as it may say there.  Also they should have a toll free tel. # you can call & ask if you wish.

Keith Lisle
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:53:56 PM by Birddog6 »

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2010, 10:56:32 PM »
Good stuff, reasonable prices, $10-30.....  When you come to Kentucky, you have to try a Hot Brown, sliced breast of turkey smothered in a rich cream sauce, topped with cheddar cheese, crisp bacon and tomatoes broiled to a golden brown.   http://www.tavernrestaurantgroup.com/deshas_lexington.html

The show is in the Lexington Center, 2 hotels within walking distance, the Hyatt next door and the Radisson across the street.  Both have free shuttles to and from the airport.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

California Kid

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2010, 11:21:44 PM »
Boy, menu looks good. Thanks for the link and info on the shuttle. Just thinking out loud for next year. Which hotel is the most infested with ALR members, or should probably ask the cheapest, HA!,?

Birddog6

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2010, 12:19:36 AM »
If you book far in advance, you can get a room there at the Hyatt at a discounted rate if you are a member of the CLA.  Don't remember what they cost, seems like it was $ 129. for some reason, but that may not be right.  They do offer a Limited amount of room for the CLA menbers, if you book it.  Once there, you don't really need to leave the motel unless ya just want to, as they have it all right there. CLA show, food, shopping, lounge, etc.  
I don't know where everyone stays, but allot of them stay at the Hyatt. There are several other motels close. I know there is a Holiday Inn close, but you will have to go online to check prices of others.  I always stay at the Hyatt as it is a long drive for me, I get there, unload & everything I need is right there at one place.....  

It all depends on what you call cheap.  I stayed in a Mariott one time in Montreal & it was $ 279. a night. That is a lil steep for me & glad I was not paying for the room.  I think the Hyatt  in Lex. is reasonable for what it is & what they have there,  IF    that is what you want.  You can probably go 50 miles away & may get a room at a Motel 8 for 1/2 the money, if you care to do so.  Don't know, always have stayed at the Hyatt & had breakfast with guys from this board & etc.

I talked to the general manager at the Hyatt about a month ago, and he told me they had spent over 1 Mil. $ in renovations since last year & that included a new restaurant & lounge area.  They are supposed to be completed by the CLA show date.

Keith Lisle
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 01:07:30 AM by Birddog6 »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2010, 12:51:38 AM »
$109 at Hampton Inns around lexington.  Nothing is more than 10 miles... not a huge city.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2010, 01:45:17 AM »
The CLA discounted rate for the Hyatt Regency and the Hilton next door is $95 per night. Best to make reservation way ahead of time.

There are plenty of name brand motels from Motel 6 up within 10 minutes driving time. Prices run from around $40 up.

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2010, 01:48:35 AM »
Is anyone else interested in going to dinner on Friday evening after the show closes?  I count 6 so far.  I was thinking 7:30pm at deSha's Restaurant and Bar.  It's within a short walk of the show.

-Ron
deSha's Resturant sounds good, and close but if I am not mistaken a couple of friends of mine went there last year and after waiting for over an hour to be served they left and went elsewhere to eat. They left around 9:15PM!

I would suspect we would have a large group and with everyone else trying to get served I wonder if they can handle the business?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2010, 07:28:01 PM »
I won't make it this year, sad to say. I hope to next, tho'. I would love to get together with y'all.

Tom

D'Shay's is VERY busy. As I recall, there are lots of places within walking distance to dine. Bill Shipman and I ate dinner at a restaurant several blocks away from the hub in the old historical district, and had a fabulous experience. They said they take groups. Bill, do you remember the name of that place?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 07:32:48 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2010, 11:54:46 PM »
Dennis and Tom, I hear ya, deSha's can get busy.  I called them yesterday and all their meeting rooms were already booked....  not looking too good. 

So, I was talking with my wife last night and she said, "you dumba--, you have to take them to Columbia's Steakhouse."  Duh!  I don't know why I didn't think of it before.  So, I called Columbia's today.....  Problem solved!!! 

We're all set for Friday evening at 7:45pm and they can handle up to 50!  I just have to call them by 3pm on Friday with a head count.  Perfect!

They have all the Kentucky favorites (Hot Brown, fried green tomatoes, fried banana peppers, etc.), the best steak in town and reasonable prices!  http://www.columbiassteakhouse.com/   I sure am glad I thought of Columbia's!

It's near the show but a little far for walking, so let me know if you need a ride.  Dan, clean out the rear seat in your Explorer!  If anyone else can drive, let me know, just in case.

If you're interested in joining us for dinner on Friday evening, please let me know by reply here by Thursday or in person at our 2pm get-together on Friday.  Looking forward to seein' everyone.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2010, 12:22:03 AM »
2PM food court!!!! Right. Last two I missed the meet & greet sad to say. I think I was flappin my jaws somewhere & totally lost track of time.
Please stop by my table & say hey. I will be at table / room A1-11 same spot as last year I think. Its alot harder to read the room layout print this year.
I am pumped!!!!! Please stop by. I'm looking forward to it.
Frontier Flintlocks
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2010, 12:25:52 AM »
I sure am glad I thought of Columbia's!
Yeah, sure you are.
I was talking with my wife last night and she said, "you dumba--, you have to take them to Columbia's Steakhouse."  Duh! 

I can drive if needed. I am not staying downtown so I will be driving back to the motel after eating. I can carry up to 4 besides myself.
Dennis

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2010, 12:32:24 AM »

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2010, 12:49:40 AM »
Oops!  Ya caught me.  :-[

We could ride the trolley's. (Darn, why didn't I think of that?)  But we would have to change trolleys once each way.  I'll check on that.

Update on the trolley's.  They run 2 loops, an east-west beginning at 6pm and a north-south, but it doesn't start until 8pm, so we would have to walk the last 2 1/2 blocks going to the restaurant.  Trolley's all the way on the return trip.  Not a bad idea, no problem with parking.

-Ron
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 01:32:24 AM by KyFlinter »
Ron Winfield

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2010, 04:53:47 AM »
Celeste and I are looking foreward to being there. I will be at table A1-6 which is next to the spot I had last year. I will try to be down for the 2PM Friday meeting. Don't know about dinner but it is a possibility. See you there.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2010, 02:49:12 PM »
 :( :( :(  I was excitied as anyone could be about coming down this year. It just isn't going to happen :( :( :(  School starts monday and the kids still need a few things.  Can't find anyone to replace me at work.   DANG :( :( :(

HAVE FUN YA'ALL

RICH

Dave K

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2010, 06:11:53 PM »
I would gladly replace you, but I will be at the show. ;D

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2010, 07:24:31 PM »
Oops!  Ya caught me.  :-[

We could ride the trolley's. (Darn, why didn't I think of that?)  But we would have to change trolleys once each way.  I'll check on that.

Update on the trolley's.  They run 2 loops, an east-west beginning at 6pm and a north-south, but it doesn't start until 8pm, so we would have to walk the last 2 1/2 blocks going to the restaurant.  Trolley's all the way on the return trip.  Not a bad idea, no problem with parking.

-Ron

I will have my car and can take 3......
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Charlie B

• fcibarrels
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2010, 03:33:37 AM »
I will be in section A table AM-4. I think where I was last year. Acer sorry to hear you are not going to make it was looking forward to an update on the Damascus project.
Charlie
Charlie