Author Topic: Chambers stock finish  (Read 4582 times)

George F.

Chambers stock finish
« on: September 15, 2008, 11:37:37 PM »
I'm finishing my Issac Berlin smoothie with Chambers stock finish. I read once Barbie said something about the sterates I guess that's responsible for a satin finish after time it settles to the bottom, so if one desires a somewhat glossier finish she recommends not shaking the can. Has anybody familiar with their finish? How long does it take to dry for recoat? How durable is it?

Offline Frank

Re: Chambers stock finish
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 11:43:21 PM »
I usually wait 24 hours before applying an additional coat.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 12:31:58 AM »
Would love to see the gun!  Which Isaac Berlin rifle?  C'mon, don't tease!
Andover, Vermont

George F.

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 01:33:24 AM »
Well. it"s The smoothie with a oct.-to-round barrel with a  4" section of a 16 flat transition  12" from the breech with a wedding band at each end of the transition. in .62 cal.  I don't really feel like back tracking now but after I stained it, I noticed a few rough areas that needed some more attention. I do usually correct these but didn't feel like it this time. It is a nice project and I'm glad it's nearing  the end. It has an engraved lock plate and that's all. I'm thinking about adding a little engraving on the side plate and side plate, althought the original didn't.  The rifle was drawn by Houston Harrison and is listed as Pre-Revolutionary Rifle and is  sold by both Track, and Muzzle loaders builders supply

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 04:49:17 AM »
Hey George, you are right about the not shaking it for that finish.  I'd wait 24 hours between each coat.  As for durability Dad used it on all the Ash hardwood floors they have in their house.  I figure if it can stand up to dogs, cats, kids, and Pop it should work pretty well for a rifle. :)
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

keweenaw

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 04:04:20 PM »
I've found recoating time variable with the weather.  The first coat will soak right in.  I just keep putting it on until a bit starts to stay on the surface.  Even that will soak in in an hour or so.  If you want it a bit glossier when your done, the later coats will require  a bit more time between coats but I've never found it necessary to wait 24 hours unless it was very humid, which it almost never is where I live.

Tom