Author Topic: patch box release  (Read 7114 times)

lew wetzel

patch box release
« on: September 16, 2008, 03:03:10 AM »
looking for a release setup for my patch box.anyone got pics or good diagram for this style box.

Offline Dave B

Re: patch box release
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 05:55:56 AM »
Not having seen the complete butt stock I would say two ways you could go with it. I think you have a little bucks county look going here and you could use a toe plate release it that is really the achitecture. Rupp used the long release through the slot in the butt plate as a release. Its reall a matter of what you prefer. I saw a rifle with the bottom edge hinge like this use a modified version of the nail through the hole  style that the captured lid box Herschal House did on his APV video Building a Kentucky Rifle.
These are the kind I was thinking of for a Rupp style release. I believe the one that shows the butt plate removed used to have a large head braized on to it covering the large notch in the butt plate

Dave Blaisdell

lew wetzel

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 06:09:41 AM »
dave,thanks for the pics and the info.now i have a better idea of what i can do.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 07:14:18 AM »
Here is a toe release example from a Bucks Co smooth rifle

Dave Blaisdell

lew wetzel

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 09:01:12 AM »
was just looking at totw site and they have some release kits.should be able to use one of these for this rifle.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 03:07:10 PM »
Dave B, thanks for the sketch.  Didn't know how those toeplate releases were set up.
Andover, Vermont

Offline wmrike

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 04:28:50 PM »
Question here regarding the toe plate release.  Does the end of the rod appear as a little button in the head of the toe plate, or does the toe plate cover the rod and flex to move the rod?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 05:22:49 PM »
The sketch is particular to a Buck's Co. with the rod covered over by the thin flexible front tab. The wood is hollowed out from under the neck of the finial so that pushing down the tab depresses with out interfearance. I have used this same arrangement with a pierced toe plate where the end of the rod protrudes as a faux screw head. There may be other regions besides Leigh, and Bucks Co. that have used this tab style. The rod need not be bent like you see if you are using a faux screw head but you will need to  make a shoulder to keep the rod from falling out.
Dave Blaisdell

famouseagle

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 06:31:03 PM »
The Bucks boys used a really simple release.  The pin was hidden under the toeplate.  The (straight) rod pushed against a (leaf) spring driven into the wood.  The spring released a catch that was peened into the patchbox lid.

Muzzleloader Builders Supply sells the kit that has everything you need (#10160).

I have pictures of an original gun with this feature as well as the setup I used for one of my guns. I don't have time right now to post them but, if anyone's interested, send me your e-mail address and I'll forward them.