Author Topic: Matchlock of Unknown Origin  (Read 4116 times)

2ndCharter

Matchlock of Unknown Origin
« on: August 06, 2010, 02:23:16 AM »
This may not be the appropriate area or venue for this post so I apologize in advance for my newbie mistakes.

Here is a matchlock I purchased just over 4 years ago. I got it to be a hanger which it does really well.  ;D

I was told by the seller ( ::)) that it was 350-500 years old. I assume that the guess was based on the ignition type and little else. There are no maker's marks or anything I would know of to identify this. It doesn't have the fishtail stock nor the mass of English matchlocks that I have come across in other historical research (I am a nut for Jamestown stuff 1607-1622). I am not an expert on antique weaponry nor would I even classify myself as a novice as even that would give me too much credit. I simply post this here for your enjoyment and perhaps discussion.

Remainder of images are on Photobucket.

Offline JV Puleo

Re: Matchlock of Unknown Origin
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 03:27:29 AM »
Indian, probably 19th century.
The shape of the butt and the enclosed lock are very distinctive.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 03:28:45 AM by JV Puleo »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 03:48:49 AM »
You can at times find these with monstrously long barrels with large bores also. Rampart gun I would suppose. Yours is a nice one, most I have seen are pretty rough.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

doug

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 04:12:44 AM »
      I am not convinced that the gun is all that old; the butt stock in particular looks fairly modern.  I suspect the gun is functional and that the barrel is old but more in terms of 100 - 150 years old.  Almost all of the guns in private hands in India were destroyed after the sepoy mutiny in 1857 (I think) but it is my impression that the barrels were often salvaged.  Matchlocks were still used in India, Mongolia and China into quite recent times.  I saw a photo of a chinese farmer guarding his crops with a matchlock, in a recent magazine, and apparently taken within the past 5 years or so.  Also until 10 years ago and perhaps still there were semi ceremonial matchlock competitions in Mongolia with a photo published on the computer via Boojum expeditions.
      Below is a photo of 3 indian matchlocks that I own.  The top one is a restock and the third one I intend to restock and shoot if ever I get a bucket of round two-its

cheers Doug

2ndCharter

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 03:51:03 PM »
Indian, probably 19th century.
The shape of the butt and the enclosed lock are very distinctive.
That may have been spot on. I found this matchlock for sale which is exactly like mine. Looking at some of the details, I think mine is in better shape. My wedding bands on the barrel haven't worn off. My flash pan cover is still intact. The stock just behind the breech on theirs appears to be cracked badly.

I'd like to think I could get $1700 for mine.  I'd sell it for half that without hesitation.