Author Topic: "Ranson & Co" British flintlock pistol  (Read 4001 times)

Arnie Dowd

"Ranson & Co" British flintlock pistol
« on: August 09, 2010, 05:21:52 PM »
Gentleman -  Since my good friend, Wayne Elliott, started a similar thread I am very hopeful that one or more of you can help me with info on a very fine British Coach/
Carriage Pistol.  It is 13" OA with a brass barrel (slightly flared at the muzzle) which has the two identical proof marks of crossed septres under a crown stamped vertically one over the other on the left breech area.  The originall flintlock is marked clearly in script letters " Ranson  & Co " in two lines.  I would date this pistol 1790-1810 but as yet I have not found a reference to this maker/dealer ??
It is walnut full-stock, brass mountings with a lovely acorn finial on the trigger-
guard complete with its origninal ebony tipped ramrod with attached worm.
Thanks in advance for any help and information.
Arnie Dowd

Offline JV Puleo

Re: "Ranson & Co" British flintlock pistol
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 09:20:54 PM »
Could it possibly be RAWSON?

Joe Puleo

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 10:27:30 PM »
No gun maker listed with that name in Birmingham or the provincial towns .It could have been sold by a wholesale company or a iron monger.Check the name
again or post an image it may help.
Feltwad

Arnie Dowd

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 03:49:47 AM »
Joe  -  Yes, it might be "Rawson" ??  If so, who was he and when did he work ?
The signature is made up of individual script letters. Actually it is very clear even without magnification - BUT,  when it is looked at carefully, the "S" appears to
connect from the top of the letter ahead of it whether a "N" or a "W".
Unfortunately I am not good at attaching photos but will try to get my daughter to help me - she keeps promising to teach me but ....  I do intend to take a close-up and then blow it up to get a better look.  Overall the pistol is in wonderful exc orig condition.  Thanks for the help ?
Arnie

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 05:09:15 AM »
John Rawson is a known B'ham maker. Bailey and Nie list him as being at 65 Snowhill between 1799 and 1803. Keeping in mind that these are directory listings - he could have been there much earlier. There is also another John Rawson at Weaman Street (in the gun quarter) in 1817, probably but not certainly, the same person. He died in 1821.

I do not think your pistol could be attributed to the 2nd John Rawson, or if they are the same person to the Weaman St. address, because from your description it has Ordnance Private Proofs and these were long out of use in 1817. They coincide perfectly with the Cornhill address though. Dates like 1795-1805 are probably more appropriate.

Sounds like a nice pistol... he was actually listed as a "fine gun and pistol maker."

Arnie Dowd

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 03:26:25 PM »
Joe -  Thank You for the info as this is obviously the maker/retailer.  Although this has strayed away from the Longrifle field this pistol is a keeper both for what it is - an outstanding example of the common man's English pistol of the period but also because it belonged to an elderly (even older than me ) general-collector, friend whose widow allowed me to obtain it very reasonably.  It also shows again that ones library is never big enough !!
Arnie