General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

Pine Tar Pitch??

<< < (4/4)

mdtnhunter:
I've seen pine tar in the equine section at tractor supply company.

wwpete52:

--- Quote from: melsdad on September 17, 2008, 04:58:48 PM ---Thanks guys, I have a few pounds of beeswax. I guess I will just use that.

--- End quote ---
I've used both beeswax and pitch to line leather canteens.  Use the pitch, it works MUCH better.

Levy:
I bought 3 small cans of PINE TAR from the feed store to use on my horse's hooves.  I'm not sure if that is the product that you're looking for.

James Levy

T.C.Albert:
We use drums of pure pine tar at my place of employment as a tackifier and base for some glues and cements....I really cant imagine drinking water from any container it has been stored or poured in. Its pretty nasty stuff.

Using just a bit of it as a tackifier for a wax based pitch blend may be better to coat a water bottles insides with than using it straight, and may impart a degree of flexability to a leather bottle that a regular pine tree resin type pitch wouldnt...but with all that said, I would go for the pre blended brewers pitch or a nice leather covered bottle.
T.Albert

Randy Hedden:
Several years ago many of the people who were using pine tar, the black stuff, to coat the insides of canteens and leather tankards quit using it because it is a carcinogen and besides that it just tastes nasty.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version